More vroom? (Read 105 times)
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

More vroom?
04/24/19 at 10:59:47

I may be getting another S40.
A good to go one.
What are the best mods to get more power?
Things I know:
Things I'm pondering:
Harley muffler.
Cam or piston change...?
Carb upgrade, new or jet?
Air cleaner?
Lighter rear fender.
Lighter battery.
Iridium plug.
Are there any nitride cam chains left?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: More vroom?
Reply #1 - 04/24/19 at 11:15:27

I would start with the intake and exhaust systems first. Free flowing filter and exhaust system makes a big difference. Make life easy on yourself and get Lancer's jet kit, it will have everything that you need to get the mixture right after those mods. And you will need those improvements later if you go with a hotter cam and bigger bore anyway so you may as well do it in order. The ports can be improved quite a bit too. Look at DragBikeMike's posts on the port mods he has been testing. As the expression goes, how fast do you want to spend?

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/24/19 at 12:18:11

Mr. Lancer has been a recipient of my income before...
Jet kit...
Versavy cam tensioner, Nitrided cam chain.
Harley muffler and cone filter on ratter as well.
Stainless carb bolts.
I'll likely go all stainless on this one.
Eventually I'll fill in the tanks and use intruder speedometers.
I need exhaust pipe adapters.

I'll beef up this Suspension too.

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/24/19 at 12:47:50

What is a dial-a-jet?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/24/19 at 14:35:44

Dial a jet is jetting adjustment without full disassembly.

http://thunderproducts.com/product-category/01fuelsystems/dial-a-jet/dial-a-j...

Taken from a descriptive website on the product:

•Dial-A-Jet is a completely external jetting system that delivers maximum horsepower from any engine at any temperature or altitude. Dial-A-Jet improves throttle response and fuel mileage. It works well with stock or modified engines, standard or high performance air boxes and exhaust systems.

•Works by taking fuel from the float bowl and mixing it with air creating emulsified fuel. The emulsified fuel is delivered to the engine instantly and acts as an intermediate circuit until the heavy wet fuel from the other circuits catch up. The emulsified fuel charge, fills in the lean spots between the poorly atomized fuel molecules from other jetting circuits eliminating lean spots. The lightweight fuel charge follows the path of least resistance. This gives you a consistent, even fuel supply at all engine RPMs.

•Dial-A-Jet allows you to re-jet your entire engine in minutes. Allows you to tune each cylinder individually for maximum performance. Improves fuel efficiency 10% to 20% or more.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/25/19 at 03:10:48

What to add to get more power is relative to how much you want to spend....and it you are willing to take the engine out of the frame to remove the cylinder head and/or piston/cylinder.

The first thing to address is the muffler....the Harley DYNA muffler works great and is affordable.

Removing the header will allow you to open up the restrictive ring in the exhaust port.  DragBikeMike has a thread on a new insert that can increase flow....nobody has made or installed one yet.

The stock carb, air cleaner housing and filter work fine.....they flow enough air for the engine with some modifications - and likely provide better performance than a lot of the restrictive clamp on filters that folks are using.  DragBikeMike has a thread on making the stock air filter housing work better.  (I installed a 95mmWiseco, Dyna muffler, Stage 1 cam, ported the head....and I ran the stock carb and paper air cleaner and the bike ran very well and had a noticeable power improvement....I now run a large foam filter without the airbox).

Changing the carb can provide better performance - but really isn't necessary until you change several things and start to make more power and require more air flow.  The stock carb works well for just an exhaust and cam change.....when you port the head, install a Wiseco, change the cam - then maybe the carb change is needed.

The next step is a cam....it can be changed while the engine is still in the frame.

If you are willing to take the engine out of the frame.....porting the head helps, installing a Wiseco piston with higher compression helps....and you can install the stock 94mm size - or have the cylinder bored to allow you to use a 95/96/97mm piston.

A light flywheel doesn't provide more power - but does allow for faster acceleration as it reduces the inertia required for the engine to turn.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1504271719/0 

And lastly........my opinion on what to do first and what is best is not "gospel" - others may tell you to go about it differently.  It really depends on your mechanical aptitude and how handy you are with a checkbook!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #6 - 04/25/19 at 12:05:32

Actually what you said is pretty much gospel Dave. He would have to take care of the intake and exhaust restrictions to get the benefits of a bigger bore or cam swap anyway. And that is a big improvement even on a stock engine, enough that quite a few find that to be enough for them, so doing that first is a logical step. Then if he decides that he wants more power, that step is already done.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 04/25/19 at 13:24:08

What about this Dial-a-Jet, anyone have any experience with it on a Savage? Looked at it on line and watched a video though was for a quad. Thunder also makes an Intelajet. How do they compare or is it just a Dial with the a snorkel kit built in? If anyone has installed one was it a remote or on the carb, did you add a snorkel?  Seems like it could be a very nice enhancement, particularly if messing around with different mufflers.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/25/19 at 13:34:07

Intelajet provides more adjustment options, and a near-the-handlebar setup option.  

It's useful in the mountains in Colorado, I wouldn't use one if the altitude changes aren't significant.  I'm not sure its a worthwhile device for muffler changes unless you plan to change out mufflers during a ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 00:35:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More vroom?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.