Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New member, doing a Savage rebuild - Updated (Read 386 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New member, doing a Savage rebuild
Reply #30 - 04/26/19 at 19:49:57

Ya know, Phoenix might be a good name.

Greek mythology, a phoenix is a long-lived bird that cyclically regenerates or is otherwise born again. Associated with the Sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. According to some sources, the phoenix dies in a show of flames and combustion, although there are other sources that claim that the legendary bird dies and simply decomposes before being born again. There are different traditions concerning the lifespan of the phoenix, …

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 04/26/19 at 20:58:08

I must have the most boring bike names ever.

95 Savage 01.
 95 Savage 02.

Etc.

IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #32 - 04/26/19 at 21:32:37

LOL, I had thought that Phoenix would be a great name too, and suggested it to her, but she likes Valkyries.  I guess it is my fault really, my family on my father’s side is of Viking decent, and I make sure to point that out every chance I get.  When I had my first motorcycle crash I ended up going to the ER due to my leg having issues healing.  When the staff came to get my information for insurance they asked my ethnicity (I am Caucasian). Without skipping a beat I answered “Viking.”  They glared at me, but that hospital record actually has my race/ethnicity listed as “Viking!”

Ok, pic time!  Here is the wiring harness after I gently removed it from the bike.  

This is the only visible damage to the wiring harness, the rest is wrapped in factory tape.

This is the ignition switch assembly:

Here is where a previous owner... modified?.. it.

The bike having been stripped of quite a few components:

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 04/26/19 at 22:39:05

Yeah, very tidy job on those wires.
Machete, maybe?
That's UggLee..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 04/27/19 at 03:21:37

Eegore wrote on 04/26/19 at 20:58:08:
 I must have the most boring bike names ever.

95 Savage 01.
 95 Savage 02.

Etc.
------------------

I'm with you.  The only reason I named my bike is because my buddy named it "purple rain" before I built it.  So it was named and it needed changed.  lol

Sorry, back on topic...don't want to trash this thread.  Smiley

IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #35 - 04/27/19 at 18:31:28

Ok, got the bike stripped nearly to the frame, just need to remove the wheels and triple tree.  

The engine looks ok on the outside, but found a broken fin.  I then popped the engine covers.  Oil had already been drained, but I could smell gas.

The right side of the block inside looks good, someone modified the cam chain adjuster though.

Under the left side cover... not so good!  Grinding noise was not the starter, but, as y’all suspected, the starter gear.  I noticed that the washer was missing from the starter gear, and that the mounting point for the gear was broken off, along with a few teeth of the gear it turns.  

Here is the starter gear.

So, looks like I will be buying a new left side crankcase at the very least, will probably buy both sides.  Prices on them are not too bad.  Going to upgrade the starter gear when I reassemble the engine.  May buy a new jug as well.  But hey!  This will make the engine easier to paint, and I will get to learn how to rebuild the transmission and engine!

Still having fun on this build!  My fiancée and I had a great time working on it today.

Verslagen, the lay the bike over on a blanket trick worked great, thank you for sharing it in another post!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: New member, doing a Savage rebuild - Updated
Reply #36 - 04/28/19 at 11:18:45

I would give a lot of thought to getting this engine:
<http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1556123576&gt;

The head cover was damaged from the accident, but your head can be swapped onto it. The ignition timing is different from early to late engines, so you need to either use your old rotor or replace your ignitor with the late version. You get a lower mileage engine, a 5 speed gearbox, and the updated starter as a bonus with that swap. And it is much less work than swapping cases on your engine will be. Been there, done that. It is more work than it looks like.

IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #37 - 04/28/19 at 12:19:11

PM sent to him, thank you much!

IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #38 - 05/05/19 at 18:32:22

Ok, with parts on the way we got to work on the chrome situation.  As opposed to starting off with the acid bath to remove the chrome, we tried something else first.  Dupli-Color Shadow Chrome Blackout.  I also picked up a can of Dupli-Color wheel matte clear coat.

I got the rust off of the chrome with steel wool, then cleaned it with acetone.  I hung it up in my paint area and applied 2 base coats before applying the gloss finish to on half and matte clear coat to the other half.

I was impressed with the results, but personally I like the matte finish more than the gloss.

Here are the pics:

Entire handlebar:

Gloss half:

Matte half:

At this time I think we are going to go this route.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #39 - 05/05/19 at 19:02:08

Your ''paint area'' is the kitchen?
Do you live alone, or are you planning on soon living alone?

IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #40 - 05/05/19 at 19:37:41

badwolf wrote on 05/05/19 at 19:02:08:
Your ''paint area'' is the kitchen?
Do you live alone, or are you planning on soon living alone?

Nope, lol, better lighting.  Brought the bars inside once they dried to inspect them better, as the sun had already set.  To be clear, my “paint area” is a section of my 4400 sq ft concrete and steel barn (for lack of a better word) that I have set up a paint booth in.  Not that it matters in this situation, as I was showing how the blackout process was going, not how my garage and shop are set up.

« Last Edit: 05/05/19 at 20:40:50 by Tracce »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:33:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member, doing a Savage rebuild - Updated

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.