Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New member, doing a Savage rebuild - Updated (Read 386 times)
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
New member, doing a Savage rebuild - Updated
04/23/19 at 09:25:12

Hello everyone, this is my first post in Rubber Side Down, but I have been reading up on posts here for a little while.

I just picked up a 1987 LS650F at what seems to me to be a pretty good price, and I went into this purchase knowing that I would have to buy quite a few parts and put more than a little bit of work into it.  This bike is for my girl, and she wants it back to nearly stock.

I have done a bit of work on my own bike, a Honda Fury, and have a bit of experience turning a wrench, as well as throwing paint.

The Savage has about 18.8k miles on it, and I was told that there may be issues with the clutch.  The seller told me that the engine would crank but that the starter made a grinding noise, and that he stopped trying to start the engine when he heard the noise.  The airbox was removed and replaced with a cone filter.  I have a new starter and airbox on the way.  Also, a previous owner welded the muffler to the exhaust pipe!  Gonna have to cut at the welds and try to clean up the metal.  Also, the front shock seals appear to be shot, as they are leaking fluid.  This will be the first time I have rebuilt the front shocks.

My girl wants the frame repainted due to some minor rust, so the bike is going to be disassembled down to the frame for the repaint.  I do have the repair manual for this year model.

Here are come pictures of the Savage with the tank and seat off of it.

The part that concerns me the most is the wiring harness, I think I am going to have a bit of work in that department, as a previous owner got creative, going so far as to put in a hidden power kill switch, which has already been removed.  Here is what some of the wiring looks like:

Please, any pointers or advise on this project would be appreciated!

« Last Edit: 04/27/19 at 18:32:49 by Tracce »  
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: New member, doing a Savage rebuild
Reply #1 - 04/23/19 at 10:50:32

With that many miles I would be looking at the cam chain tensioner before trying to start it up. If the chain is worn enough the plunger can disassemble itself. If it has done that already that may be the grinding noise that was attributed to the starter.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/23/19 at 10:59:09

Tracce wrote on 04/23/19 at 09:25:12:
Please, any pointers or advise on this project would be appreciated!

--------------------------------

I hate to say it but you can buy a bike that runs and in perfect shape for less money and effort than you'll put into this project.  My advice is to not do this project and find a bike that is at least running.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 04/23/19 at 12:21:04

Thumbs up. Ohiomoto.

That would take an enormous amount of energy and expense to complete.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 04/23/19 at 13:08:43

In the army we called bikes like that B.E.R. Beyond economical repair. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/23/19 at 13:24:54

If she wants the frame painted cause of some rust, what she say about the cases?   Roll Eyes

Those 2 orange hoses with nails in them look to be the carb vents... take the nails out.

Key issue with a 87 with a grinding starter could be the starter gear is missing teeth.  pop the stator cover to see.  and I would consider upgrading with a torque limiter gear... see the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 04/23/19 at 14:02:32

I'd get rid of the inline fuel filter also.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #7 - 04/23/19 at 17:31:16

Thank y’all for the pointers!  I will check on the cam chain tensioner and the starter gear.  The bolts in the hoses are to protect them, and they were put in (not by me) to keep bugs out (spiders and dirt daubers in this area).  I will pull the inline filter as well.  As for the engine and covers, we planned to paint them from very beginning!  The plan is to black out the bike, with the exception of the tank and fenders, which will be blue.  The bike will have a matte clear coat on it.  I will put pinstripe tape on the engine fins, and remove it after the paint is applied for some contrast.  All engine bolts will be left silver colored.  I am researching how to remove chrome, as it is a real pain to get paint to stick to it.  At the moment I am leaning towards using an electrolysis and sulphuric acid process to remove it.

We knew that there would be expenses to fixing this bike when we bought it, and we did consider a newer one that was running, but I cannot afford the down payment that the bank wanted for the loan.  This bike only cost $200 and a Uhaul trailer rental!  Figured that I could have payments (after saving up for the down payment), or I could put the money from payments into the parts to repair it and have fun / learn as I work on it.  Besides, I found that I really enjoy working on motorcycles while I was fixing up my Fury!

Additionally... I am able to justify more tools when fixing up the bike for my fiancée!

« Last Edit: 04/23/19 at 18:37:33 by Tracce »  
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/24/19 at 06:26:29

Tracce, I get it, it was only $200, but you bought someone else's problems and you don't even know if it will run until you start dumping money into it.  For ~$1000-$1500 your could buy a nice running bike and modify however you like.  Sell/part out the 87 and save you money for a few weeks or months and get a better bike.  You'll spend less time and money in the long run.

This bike had 3500 miles on it and cost me $1250.  I didn't need a trailer because it was running.    
« Last Edit: 04/24/19 at 09:36:34 by ohiomoto »  

savage_026.jpg
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 04/24/19 at 08:44:52

You will need to disassemble everything, including the engine; especially the top to check cam & cam bearings,rockers, valves, piston/cylinder, and possible the bottom end as well.  You need to be sure all primary components are good and usable as is.
You do have a lot of work in in just cleanup and redoing the damaged wiring.  Consider getting a new wiring harness.  One of the same vintage is likely too aged.
If the engine is ok inside it is rebuildable for a reasonable cost with lots of sweat equity.  
If you do need to part it out and start with another bike I will buy your old usable camshaft, if there is no damage to the cam bearing surfaces.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/24/19 at 09:23:06

You would be sooooo much farther ahead if found a better bike.

If this was a vintage Matchless, Velocette, Vincent, etc. it could be a worthwhile project - but you can find a much better bike that won't require hundreds/thousands of dollars worth of parts....and a whole lot of labor.

Even if a "rat bike" is your goal.....getting the mechanical parts sorted out appears to be a major project!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #11 - 04/24/19 at 11:04:47

If you are determined to work with that bike, you might want to look at the marketplace section, SoC has a lot of parts that he is getting rid of. Including a lower mileage engine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/24/19 at 11:59:22

Somebody has two hundred dollars, an empty spot, apparently in the back yard, and one HUGE Grin.

Those pictures are inspirational.
I didn't buy it and I have buyers remorse for you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 04/24/19 at 12:27:51

I'm sorry, but that bike is not a good candidate for rehabilitation. The known issues (starter, clutch, fork seals, cam-chain tensioner, wiring, exhaust, tires) will cost you $1,000 to repair/replace/rework. It's the unknown things that are going to eat your lunch. I would say budget another $1,000 for those. And then there are the cosmetic issues - which are many. You mentioned that the frame needs to be painted because of rust...but what's under the rust. Once chromoly tubing begins to go, it usually goes deep and far. Finally, you will spend hundreds of hours bringing the surfaces back. For example, in order to get the corrosion off the hubs you are going to have to de-spoke the wheels. You will spend many hours getting them polished. Once polished they will have to be sprayed with clear and baked, otherwise you'll never be done polishing that bike. The spokes appear to have corrosion and if they are compromised are a safety hazzard and shouldn't be re-used. Getting the engine cases painted will be a nightmare and a disappointment. Plan on 20-50 hours of work to get them prepped for paint, and then expect the paint to begin to fail shortly after riding. The cases should be powdercoated. Of course the engine will have to be disassembled to get ALL of the cases coated. If if you can paint and powdercoat by yourself, it's another $500.

This bike is a money pit. My gut tells me even if you are happy with a half-assed job you'll be in for $2,000-$2,500. If you are hoping to have a nice bike (all surface corrosion removed meaning new bars, mirrors, t-clamps...fresh paint and powdercoating), $3,500-$5,000. Oh, you'll be lucky to have it ready by August. Are you ready to dump a few grand (or more) into the bike in the next 90-days?

But for $1,000 you can find a good runner, that's ready to ride NOW.

Cut your losses before you go in too deep. This is coming for someone that builds bikes from unloved bikes. I wouldn't touch this project if you GAVE me the bike.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/24/19 at 14:31:46

I've easily dumped more than 3 times the value of just one of my Savages to get it up to speed.  It's not a big deal if you have the time and money and Gary has a reasonable breakdown if you want to go that route.

I would just buy new/used but useable safe rims, rusted ones do take forever to bring up to safe riding standard as described.  

Just know the cost goes up fast, you will exceed the value of that bike shortly.  I do it because the bikes are cheap, easy to get repaired, find parts for and I don't care if mine get destroyed/damaged while experimenting on things.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:39:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member, doing a Savage rebuild - Updated

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.