Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
I am back
04/18/19 at 22:35:07

So I got me a title! New bike cost me $200 + driving

I picked up a local bike for the title but Im happy to say it runs, only 7000 miles but it needs a headplug which I bought from Verslavy already.

Now I have 2001 and 2002 or is it 2002 and 2003, both run.
I just installed a 52.5 pilot with a 152.5 main on 1 bike, 2 washers on the heedle and a raptor petcock.
I want to do a 55 pilot and a 155 main with 2 washers on the needle to the other bike but first I have to do the head plug.

So My past 2 Savages ran great with 55 pilot and 152.5 main 2 #4washers and 3 turns out on the pilot screw, I've even ran a debaffled Jardine muffler for a day with no problems with jetting related

I do already have a Raptor petcock on the shelf as that's the first thing I replace on any bike I get, Why would you want to worry about your fuel tank not giving you enough fuel? The Raptor petcock is a 100% fix for fuel starvation.
I bought the knock off,  off of ebay and the fuel feed nipple is the same size diameter, just a little less clamping area as it's shorter

Why does everyone tune their carbs so lean? Back in the day the 87's came with an adjustable needle, a 55 pilot and 155 main jet and 3 turns out on the pilot mixture screw

My bikes ran mint like that but a little rich

On my new to me Savage Im gonna try using a 52.5 pilot and hope that runs well with the k&n filter I'll be installing, i want to see what the mpg looks like because it sucked with a 55 pilot
I ran a 50 pilot and 150 main with 2 #4 washers but the bike felt slugish

I like how the bike ran with a muffler like the Jardine bafflled, my bike also ran well with a Mac performance muffler but I ran it with a 152.5 main jet before

Who doesn't like the reliability of a single cylinder bike which is easy to maintain?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: I am back
Reply #1 - 04/19/19 at 07:11:26

Yoshi wrote on 04/18/19 at 22:35:07:
Why does everyone tune their carbs so lean?
My bikes ran mint like that but a little rich

Why do you run your bikes so rich? Huh

With the stock air filter and a dyna muffler......my bike ran best with a #150 main and #50 pilot - I had to run only 2 washers as I had a lean surge with 3 washers.  I installed an oxygen sensor in the exhaust when I jetted the bike, and it confirmed the air/fuel ratio was just a bit on the rich side of the ideal 14.7/1 that the meter was calibrated for.

If you had your bike on a dyno or had some way to test your power output, I believe you really aren't benefitting from using a #155 main or #55 pilot.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1348491882

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 04/19/19 at 12:59:36

While we are talking about jetting. My bike is a 2014 with the stock main jet   #145. I'm running at 4000/4500 msl with the pilot, #52.5, adjusted properly for this altitude and the needle raised by .035" by shaving the plastic washer.

The bike runs well and gets high 50s for fuel mileage, no blueing of the exhaust with the stock muffler and air cleaner. I don't really run the bike hard so probably don't run much on the main jet. I think going to a #147.5 main might be optimum. what is the consensus for these conditions. The temp is also mostly above average, up to about 100* F

Thanks, Norman.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 04/19/19 at 13:29:20

Dave , He's at sea level .
   87 carb was jetted 47.5 /155

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 04/19/19 at 16:08:38

Im at sea level is correct, im gonna see if the 52.5 will work correctly with a pod filter but I doubt it.
50 pilot was ok with the stock air filter but the 150 definitely gave too little fuel, I felt a hesitation that the 152.5 relieved

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 04/21/19 at 01:45:33

K&N RC1250 on both bikes, one with 52.5/150, other with 52.5/152, white spacer 1/2.  
Sea level, not much to choose between them.
Cheers!  Cool

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RC-1250

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 04/21/19 at 06:43:19

Did a lot of seat of the pants testing and ended up with 47.7/147.5 jets.  My bike is about as responsive as a 25-30 hp bike should be and I get close to 50 mpg with no backfiring.  It was a total turd when I got it it got mid 30s mpg and backfired like a mother.  PO put 55/155 jets in it.  What a knob.

What I don't understand is why everyone assumes they need richer jetting.  I bet the stock jetting would actually perform better in most cases.  At least do some testing and proper jetting.  I believe it's always best to start with stock jetting.  Those engineers in Japan are pretty smart.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/21/19 at 17:22:45

ohiomoto wrote on 04/21/19 at 06:43:19:
What I don't understand is why everyone assumes they need richer jetting.  I bet the stock jetting would actually perform better in most cases.  At least do some testing and proper jetting.  I believe it's always best to start with stock jetting.  Those engineers in Japan are pretty smart.

Some of the bikes are just a bit too lean.....perhaps a result of the attempt to keep the bike in compliance with emission standards - or perhaps a result of the use of E10 fuel where the bike may have been designed for gasoline without ethanol.  Several bikes I have ridden in stock form have a lean surge at low throttle.....the bike just doesn't run smoothly and feels like you are getting buffeted around by a head wind or riding behind a semi - and then add some throttle and the engine then smooths out and runs well.

I ride between 500-800 ft. sea level, and the #150 and #50 jets work very well here - with 3 washers in place of the spacer (occasionally only 2 washers if you still have the lean surge at low throttle).

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 04/22/19 at 07:06:55

But you tested your bikes to figure that out.  I'm not saying Yoshi didn't, but a lot of people on here are just tossing jets in their bike "because I read it on the internet, so it must be true".  Furthermore, they are doing it while making other modifications.  

I'm not arguing lean vs rich.  My point is you should have a reason for changing your jetting and you should be testing those changes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/22/19 at 07:50:19

ohiomoto wrote on 04/22/19 at 07:06:55:
But you tested your bikes to figure that out.  I'm not saying Yoshi didn't, but a lot of people on here are just tossing jets in their bike "because I read it on the internet, so it must be true".  Furthermore, they are doing it while making other modifications.  

True.....a lot of bikes at higher elevations run very well with the stock jetting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 10:48:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I am back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.