Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dave's O2 Sensor Install (Read 781 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Dave's O2 Sensor Install
09/24/12 at 06:04:42

I was able to modify a used pipe and install a narrow band Oxygen Sensor this weekend.  I chose to mount the Sensor close to the head as that is where they are located on my wife's Honda and on my Vibe.  It is in plain sight - but this is a temporary pipe to be used only while I am getting the jetting sorted out.  I have only ridden up to the gas station and back, and this is what I have found so far:

1)  The gauge is useless in sunlight......the bright sun makes the gauge unreadable.
2)  The narrow gauge sensor has a very limited range, and the bars jump around quicky.  The sensor can tell if the engine is at the desired economy setting of 14.7 pounds air to 1 pound of fuel - but beyond that it can only tell if the mixture is rich or lean.  It cannot display a numeric value above or below 14.7.
3)  With my current jetting the engine runs rich at most throttle settings - but I don't know how rich.  I believe I am going to have to start with the main and drop jet sizes until it shows lean - then go back up one jet size.  Then repeat this process for the needle and pilot jets.
4)  Currently the engine runs lean at the throttle openings just before 1/4 open.  As you gently accelerate away from a STOP and work up through the gears at a mild throttle setting - the engine is lean and you can feel the engine surging under the lean mixture.  If you open the throttle anything more than 1/4 throttle it accelerates well and the O2 sensor moves out of the lean condition.  When I last had the carb apart I set the float level at the lowest end of the range in the manual, as the bike has always started without the choke being on.  I will raise the float a bit and see if that helps with the low speed lean condition.

Here are some pictures of the installed system.  I used the Narrow Guage system that I had bought in 1997 when I used it to jet a car I was building - so I did not need to buy a new kit.  I used High Temp black paint on the exhaust and I will let you know how it holds up.  The silver spots are the Never Sieze that blew off the O2 sensor as it got hot.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dave's O2 Sensor Install
Reply #1 - 09/24/12 at 06:54:41

Build a paper tube to shield the gauge.

Or, test at nite!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/24/12 at 07:08:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/24/12 at 06:54:41:
Build a paper tube to shield the gauge.

Or, test at nite!

The tube is a good idea........Charmin or Bounty?

I think with gauge will be visible in daylight - as long as it is not direct sun.  The guage glass is glossy and reflective and when I was headed into the sun.....I could see my full face helmet reflecting in the guage.  If you look at the photo you can see the camera reflecting in the glass.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 09/24/12 at 07:10:51

This is all rumor and hearsay, so believe it or not as you see fit.

The EPA tests are not all-inclusive of all engine operating conditions. The EPA puts the vehicle through a carefully defined "drive test" at certain speeds for certain distances. It is never run wide open, nor at high power. Since motorcycles in general have higher power-to-weight ratios than cars, they are operated at lower throttle openings to run at the prescribed speeds. Motorcycle makers are very aware of the test procedures. Makers jetted carburetors to run lean at idle and low power, where the motorcycles are tested. They jetted the bikes to run properly (slightly rich) at high power where the EPA does not test. (I use "low power" for power up to 1/3 rated; "medium power" from 1/3 to 2/3 rated; and "high power" for power from 2/3 to full power. This is my arbitrary choice.) Naturally, stories abound that carburetors are way too lean from the factory, but the "rest of the story" seems to be missed. Part of the issue is that most motorcycles are operated at small throttle openings most of the time, so they usually run in the lean regions of jetting.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/24/12 at 07:21:02

Would a small circle of window tint help? If you think it mite, Id bet you could get a dab for free from a window tint place, or maybe a buck ..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #5 - 09/24/12 at 12:17:17

Hello o2 fellow. I use a gauge with numbers wich is very visible in sunlight. I have posted a photo of it in my thread.

Savage 96, Enfield muffler. Lowered forks. Progressive springs Drag bar. big head light. GL1000 fender. small back light. Black. mini turn lamps, vm36 180-20. o2 sensor ! K&N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/24/12 at 17:29:41

Halvor wrote on 09/24/12 at 12:17:17:
Hello o2 fellow. I use a gauge with numbers wich is very visible in sunlight. I have posted a photo of it in my thread.

I have been following your thread....you beat me by a few weeks.  I have not yet been able to ride it and get to the actual tuning - the install and yard work used up last weekend.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/28/12 at 07:14:33

In the first round of testing I had:  152.5 Main, 55 Pilot, 3 Washers under the needle, and the air screw was at 1-1/4 turns out on the screw to run well at idle.  I had lowered the float to 29 mm as the engine has always started without the choke.  The O2 sensor showed the engine was rich everywhere except when accelerating at 1/4 thottle or less where the engine ran very lean and surged.  When lightly accelerating with throttle settings below 1/4....the O2 sensor showed the engine was lean and the bike would surge and did not run smoothly.  If you added any throttle over 1/4 the bike pulls strong and smoothly.

For the second round I installed a 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, and raised the float to the maximum factory setting of 27mm.  The idle gas screw is out just short of 2 turns for the ideal mixture as shown by the O2 meter.  This morning on the way to work the engine ran with a good mixture reading on the O2 gauge in the 1/4 to full throttle range - it runs just a bit above the middle (green) bars that shows the ideal mixture, and it pulls smoothly.  At crusing speeds and throttle settings between 1/8-1/4 at speeds above 40 the mixture is very good and in the green.  The engine still runs very lean and surges from 1/8 -1/4 throttle when lightly accelerating through the gears at speeds below 50.  The gauge will show in the green while cruising - then if you lightly roll on the throttle up to 1/4 the gauge drops into the lean zone and you can feel the engine surging.....if you roll a bit more throttle on and get above 1/4 throttle it pulls smoothly and the gauge goes up into the green.

I need to get some more fuel into the system at throttle settings between 1/8-1/4 throttle.  The info I can find says the Pilot Jet controls this range - and that the slide needle is more involved in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle range.  I might try opening up the mixture screw a bit - but that will make the idle too rich.  I could also try going back to the 55 pilot....however the engine still had the surging with the 55 and it showed rich during normal cruising with this jet.      

Anybody have a suggestion on how to richen up the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle mixture?  I may be able to get a tiny bit more height in the float level - but I am at the maximum setting the manual allows.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/28/12 at 07:50:46

take a washer or 2 from the needle jet.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/28/12 at 07:55:58

verslagen1 wrote on 09/28/12 at 07:50:46:
take a washer or 2 from the need jet.

Thanks - I will give that a try and see what happens.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/28/12 at 08:28:41

Once you set the pilot and main jets, the only other adjustment you have is the "white spacer"

if you reduce the spacer you raise the needle, richening the dead spot.  Which may be bottomed out in the needle jet.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/28/12 at 14:46:47

Third try is a charm.....well.....sort of.

I took the carb apart and removed two of the three washers on top of the slide needle, and just left one.  The bike no longer has the flat spot between 1/8-1/4 throttle - but it has become too rich everywhere.  The O2 gauge shows it is rich, and it does not run as well when you are rolling off the throttle and it surges when slowing down.  First thing tomorrow morning I will put one washer back in.

I am pleased with how this simple narrow band 02 sensor is working.  It may not be as flexible as a Wide Band sensor and gauge - but it does let you know how the jetting changes you have made affect the engine.  Without the gauge you would know that the engine stumbles or surges.....but you would not know easily if the problem was caused by being too rich or too lean....the gauge clears that up and tells you where you can improve things.  If you were tuning a race bike and looking for maximum power then a wide band O2 gauge might be worth the extra money....but I already had this one from a previous project and thought I would give it a try.

« Last Edit: 02/26/15 at 03:12:04 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 09/28/12 at 18:13:10

Once you get it set the way you like it, it might be interesting - even informative - to change the exhaust system in some way and see what happens.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/29/12 at 00:22:29

couple of easy ways to lean her up a bit

remove the snorkle

remove the air box door.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/29/12 at 04:02:44

Charon wrote on 09/28/12 at 18:13:10:
Once you get it set the way you like it, it might be interesting - even informative - to change the exhaust system in some way and see what happens.

I have a SuperTrapp on in now and it has 8 discs on it.  I have 6 more discs and will add them and see what happens.  I also have a Dyna that I can put on.  The Supertrapp is just a little bit louder than I would like.  It is not obnoxious......but it is not a quiet muffler.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:46:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dave's O2 Sensor Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.