Send Topic Print
Clutch kill switch (Read 199 times)
Vinny68
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch kill switch
04/17/19 at 15:39:35

Good day all.  I have a 2014 Suzuki that I have had about 9 months.  She has no mods and is right at 3100 miles.  I went to start her up last night and instead of cranking it clicked, then neutral lite turned off. I made sure the kickstand was down, reset the key and the neutral lite turned on but when I tried to start it it clicked again and neutral lite kicked off.  Took me several minutes to get it started and I was able to ride it home.  

Today I went out and same thing except this time I noticed when I moved the front forks the neutral lite blinked.  So I am wondering where the clutch kill switch coupler or adapter is located.  I am thinking that maybe something is just loose during last nights initial ride and needs to be plugged back in.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clutch kill switch
Reply #1 - 04/17/19 at 16:07:50

Turn the key on, in neutral.
Wiggle wires.
Pretty good chance there is a connector under the tank that is in the process of vibrating loose. Pretty low mileage for that, but possible.
Do any wires show signs of being pinched?
Any being bent hard and opened up with the handlebars being turned lock to lock?

Don't leave the key on more than a few minutes , or disconnect the ignition system. If it's at TDC it's firing the plug.
Or, that's my best guess.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Vinny68
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/17/19 at 18:26:57

That was my thought as welll, I was hoping to narrow down where the connection is made.  My hope is under the seat  but it is probably under the tank.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 04/17/19 at 19:58:32

I'd check / test  , the clutch switch , under the lever on the bars ,  and the main connectors under the tank (left side ) and the  speedo - ( neutral light) , and make sure the battery is fully charged.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Vinny68
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/17/19 at 20:03:36

Thanks I will check the switch.  The battery is good, had a minder on it all last, it is at 100%.. Where is the connection for the clutch switch to the kill switch?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/17/19 at 20:19:35

If you disconnect the wires at the clutch switch ,you could use a volt/ohm meter  to test both.  turning on the key ,would send power through the kill switch and could be read at the clutch switch connector (one of the wires will show 12v with the kill switch on zero volts when off)  .      
   OHMs could be used to show continuity through the clutch switch.(when the lever is pulled in).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/17/19 at 20:59:15

when I tried to start it it clicked again and neutral lite kicked off.  

Neutral light should not go off.
Regardless of any interlock.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/17/19 at 21:55:28

batman wrote on 04/17/19 at 20:19:35:
If you disconnect the wires at the clutch switch ,you could use a volt/ohm meter  to test both.  turning on the key ,would send power through the kill switch and could be read at the clutch switch connector (one of the wires will show 12v with the kill switch on zero volts when off)

Almost right, you gotta push the start button to get volts at the clutch safety.  That's the only time it's active.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/18/19 at 04:57:03

Have you checked your battery or battery connections?

It sounds to me like the battery powers things up - but when you hit the start button the high amperage draw pulls the voltage so low that even the neutral light goes out.

Just because you have a battery tender on the bike....doesn't mean the battery has not gone bad.  I rode my ST1100 up to the hardware store, then down to the gas station....and when I tried to start the bike a the gas station it didn't even have enough power to run the neutral light.  It turns out a battery can die instantly.  You need to put a voltmeter on the battery and see what the voltage is at rest....and what happens to the voltage when you push the start button.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Vinny68
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/18/19 at 05:40:47

You are absolutely correct, the neutral light should not be going off at all.  Rather the way it acted before, if I failed to pull in the clutch was it simply failed to start.  Now I have to wonder if the starter cable has a loose connection somewhere.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 04/18/19 at 06:26:29

You could be sure the ground cable running from the battery,  is clean and tight at the motor case.  located about two inches above the oil sight glass and about that far in.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/18/19 at 11:51:38

I have a question about the "sequence" of events.  Is this the scenario?

You turn the ignition ON and the neutral light glows, you hit the starter button and hear a "click" and the neutral light goes out.....then when you release the starter button the neutral light glows (although perhaps a bit slow and a bit dimly).

If so.......I am convinced the battery is bad and cannot power the starter solenoid or starter.

IP Logged
Vinny68
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/18/19 at 11:56:07

I would say that sequence is correct except the neutral light does not return immediately.  Sometimes I have had to turn the key off and back on, sometimes twist the handlebars or bring the kickstand up and back down.  To be honest I did the kickstand and handlebars because I thought it was the kill switch.  I am becoming more and more convinced it is a loose wire on the starter switch side.  When I get time this weekend, I am going to dig in and find it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/18/19 at 12:14:29

A loose wire on the starter switch side really doesn't explain why the neutral light goes away........it should stay on regardless of what the starter is doing.

The first thing I would do is get your battery tested.

IP Logged
Vinny68
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/18/19 at 12:20:29

Fair point, I will also ensure the battery is still good as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 00:32:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch kill switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.