Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I went to the Indian demo ride event today. (Read 168 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
I went to the Indian demo ride event today.
04/12/19 at 20:07:47

I wanted to check out the FTR and the Scout. The FTR was not yet available for demo rides but they did have a couple in stock at the dealership. Nice looking bikes but the seat height has got to be 31+ inches.

I rode a Scout 60 specially set up for short riders like myself (5'7") and though it was not a perfect fit, it was good enough and riding that bike was a blast. 78 hp on a 550 lbs bike felt amazing. The bike handles very well and the acceleration is unreal (specially if your daily ride is a savage with standard engine and tall gearing).

I also rode the Scout 66 which has 100 hp and 6 gears. You can tell the difference, but 78 hp is plenty.

I also rode the Chieftain Dark Horse with the bored out engine (116 cubic inches). Beautiful bike, but 800 lbs or so. First time I ever ride something that heavy. I did not expect to like it, but it was absolutely awesome. It was very comfortable, the sound was incredible and the weight balance was just right. I absolutely fell in love with this bike. Except for the price which was around $28K. Also, I will admit that after the ride as I was trying to park it just right and was backing it up, I almost dropped. I think it took just  about all my strength to keep from dropping it once I let it lean just a bit too much. All in all though, I had a great day. I may even go back tomorrow for a few more rides. Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: I went to the Indian demo ride event today.
Reply #1 - 04/12/19 at 20:51:31

You know I am a registered Indian from a plains tribe, and unlike Liz Warren, I have a tribal roll number, so yes, I AM a Indian.

I find naming a motorcycle after us, is wrong, hurtful, and extremely disrespectful.
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age folks are not aware of just how wrong and draconian this thinking is that its ok to insult people because you don't see the harm in it.....

OK.......

I'm over it.

You gonna buy it?

Name it Kemosabe?   Grin Grin Grin Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/12/19 at 21:02:41

I just can't tell you how upsetting it would be to me to discover a motorcycle called
Caucasian.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 04/12/19 at 21:08:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/12/19 at 21:02:41:
I just can't tell you how upsetting it would be to me to discover a motorcycle called
Caucasian.

HUH......you been nipping the bottle JOG????

They already have it, well, sorta......

Its called Harley  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 04/12/19 at 21:26:12

So ,

If a company named a bike after me  ...

would anybody buy a bike called  " average white guy " ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/13/19 at 01:56:51

I can see lines forming, eager young people, smiling, each wanting to be first on their block to own one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 04/13/19 at 07:26:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/13/19 at 01:56:51:
I can see lines forming, eager young people, smiling, each wanting to be first on their block to own one.

It is beginning to come into focus ! 😁

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 04/13/19 at 07:34:18

It only comes in one color.....RED WHITE and BLUE  Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 04/13/19 at 07:39:39

Springman ,     78 hp on a 550 lbs bike  

That sounds like the Harley 1200 Sportster , apparently Indian has taken AIM at the competition !   Shocked

So , Is the Indian Belt Drive  ?    

and

ruffly the same $$$ ?

Everybody needs a " WE BIKE " ,    and  a   " ME BIKE "  .  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 04/13/19 at 07:41:44

OK Spring.......but seriously, if a guy is gonna ride a Indian, it should in the very least.....ride a gender correct one, not a scout, NO, but a squaw.......

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/13/19 at 07:44:59

Back in the 70's I was a fan of the "Average White Band".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g45Ljqgijiw

The attraction of bigger/faster/heavier/comfy bikes is always around - and although we love the simplicity, lightness and charm of the Savage.......it is easy to love what other bikes have to offer.  You can find really good deals on the V-twin cruisers from Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha - but they don't provide much cornering ability or horsepower - just better comfort and cruising power.  The Scout is a nice mid sized bike and a good step up from the Savage - I have never ridden one but the engine is supposed to be very nice. Big heavy touring bikes are popular for a reason - all that bulk helps provide a very smooth ride on the highway....they are very challenging when you are stopped and have to figure out how to handle 800 pounds of tippyness.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 04/13/19 at 14:56:30

800 POUNDS !!!  WOW
Did you grow legs ?
LOL  Grin  Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 04/13/19 at 15:01:35

Raydawg, all I can say is you're too much. You crack me up.  Grin

I do not know what the HD sportster is like, but I can tell you that both the Scout 60 (78 hp) and the 66 (100 hp) ride really well. I did not feel like I was going from a light bike to a heavy bike. I guess because the Scout has a low seat and is balanced very well, for the most part I just felt like I was on a faster bike that was hardly working up a sweat at 70 mph.

The Scout is belt drive, EFI, tubeless tire and liquid cooled. It is in the $10-12K range. A bit much for me.

Dave got it right though. I love my S40 as a very inexpensive all around bike. But on cold mornings I sure start wishing I had EFI and when I'm on a rough road, I sure wish my suspension were a bit more forgiving. And when I am merging onto the highway, I sure wish I had a bit more get up and go. I guess my big problem is I am not willing to put out a bunch of cash (certainly not $10K) for a motorcycle and then have to pay even more for maintenance.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/13/19 at 15:03:37

What can I say Ruttly? The Chieftain has a nice low seat and once you get going it is an amazing ride. Parking it is another story!!! Sad

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 04/13/19 at 16:04:22

Depending on the center of gravity , 500 lbs is my max ! Anything heavier than that and I would be a gold wing owner. Too heavy a bike usually leads to some super embarrassing slow speed crashes. Be sure to post the video  Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:15:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › I went to the Indian demo ride event today.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.