raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Who next....????
04/11/19 at 12:37:10

I think the smart money is on Podesta.

If you recall, he closed his lobby shop, the very day Manafort was charged.
The employees had no heads-up, they were left without any knowledge they had no jobs.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/11/grand-jury-indicts-former-obama-whi...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Who next....????
Reply #1 - 04/11/19 at 14:49:18

Bad link.......????

Here, I C&P'd it, might explain why no one replied on this part of the Mueller investigation outcome......????

Seems a extremely important revelation, and maybe even why Barr made such a BOLD statement yesterday re: spying......?????  Undecided

Grand jury indicts former Obama White House counsel Gregory Craig
By DARREN SAMUELSOHN

Gregory Craig, the former Obama White House counsel, was charged by a federal grand jury on Thursday with making false statements and concealing material information about his work in private practice lobbying on behalf of the Ukrainian government.

The two-count indictment, filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., says that Craig, 74, purposefully and repeatedly misled federal investigators about his need to register as a foreign lobbyist, including in 2017 when interviewed by prosecutors for special counsel Robert Mueller.

Craig, who served under President Barack Obama during his first year in office in 2009, is the first Democrat to face criminal charges in a case with ties to the Mueller investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. While the special counsel’s investigation officially wrapped up last month, the Justice Department recently said it was placing new emphasis on examining foreign lobbying activities that became a featured part of Mueller’s efforts.

At issue for Craig is work he did starting in 2012, after his White House stint, at the Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom law firm preparing a report concerning Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych’s jailing of one of his political opponents, former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.

The report was meant to be used by President Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort, who had been lobbying for Yanukovych at the time, to defend the former president.

Craig’s work came under renewed scrutiny by Mueller’s team as it prosecuted its case against Manafort, who hired Skadden Arps in 2012. The firm, which Craig retired from last year, pleaded guilty in January to misleading the Justice Department about its work with Manafort and paid a $4.7 million settlement. A Dutch lawyer at the firm, Alex van der Zwaan, pleaded guilty last year to lying to the FBI and spent nearly a month in prison before being deported to the Netherlands.

According to the 22-page indictment, Craig was aware of federal requirements to register as a foreign lobbyist but didn’t want to do it “at least in part because he believed doing so could prevent him or others at [his] law firm from taking positions in the federal government in the future.”

Registering as a foreign lobbyist would have also required Craig to disclose that a third party had paid his firm more than $4 million for the report, the indictment said. And it also would have exposed his firm’s “parallel engagement” with Ukraine to help in prosecuting Tymoshenko on additional charges.

“These disclosures, as well as the fact of registration itself, would have undermined the report and Craig’s perceived independence,” the indictment said.

Anticipating the indictment, Craig’s attorneys on Wednesday night issued a preemptive statement saying their client’s work had been “thoroughly investigated” by federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York, who they said declined to press charges.

The lawyers, William W. Taylor III and William J. Murphy, said the Justice Department’s National Security Division then asked for Craig’s case to be taken up by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington. “Mr. Craig is not guilty of any charge and the government’s stubborn insistence on prosecuting Mr. Craig is a misguided abuse of prosecutorial discretion,” the attorneys’ statement said.

On Thursday afternoon, Taylor and Murphy responded to the indictment.

“This indictment accuses Mr. Craig of misleading the FARA Unit of the Department of Justice in order to avoid registration,” they said in a statement, referring to the Foreign Agents Registration Act. “It is itself unfair and misleading. It ignores uncontroverted evidence to the contrary. Mr. Craig had no interest in misleading the FARA Unit because he had not done anything that required his registration. That is what this trial will be all about.“

Craig’s alleged crimes started in December 2012 after he was quoted discussing the report in The New York Times. A Justice Department unit dealing with foreign lobbying sent a letter to his firm seeking more information and advising it that its work on behalf of Ukraine might require registration as a foreign lobbyist.

The firm responded in February 2013, by letter with Craig’s signature, saying that it wasn’t performing activities requiring it to register, and it made no reference to his contacts with U.S. media.

After investigating the matter, the Justice Department in September 2013 told Craig and his law firm that it did indeed need to register its work. That kickstarted several more months of discussions and exchanges before the department in early 2014 reversed course and determined that Craig didn’t need to register.

In the indictment, the Justice Department said it made the decision “in reliance on Craig’s representations and having been misled by Craig” about his work on the Ukraine project and his contacts with the media. The indictment also said Craig “repeated certain of the false and misleading statements” that he made to the department’s unit about the timing and nature of his contacts with reporters when he sat for an interview with Mueller’s office in October 2017.

Craig faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison for the two charges and a combined $260,000 in fines. An arraignment date will be scheduled by the federal court.

The Ivy League-schooled attorney had two stints working for Democratic administrations: In 1998 and 1999, he served on President Bill Clinton’s defense from the White House as Republicans pursued impeachment proceedings. He returned for Obama in January 2009, helping the new president on national security matters in particular.

A spokesman for Obama declined comment Wednesday night when asked about the statement from attorneys for the former White House counsel expecting an indictment.

Craig’s post-Obama White House career included a brief stint as defense counsel representing former Sen. John Edwards in his case involving nearly $1 million in payments that his backers made to support a pregnant mistress during the 2009 presidential campaign. A jury in 2012 deadlocked on five felony counts in the Edwards case and voted to acquit him on one charge before the Justice Department dropped the case outright in 2012.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/11/19 at 15:05:20

raydawg wrote on 04/11/19 at 12:37:10:
I think the smart money is on Podesta.

If you recall, he closed his lobby shop, the very day Manafort was charged.
The employees had no heads-up, they were left without any knowledge they had no jobs.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/11/grand-jury-indicts-former-obama-whi...

I'd say a trump - maybe jr.

But hey, maybe the dems will somehow catch up to the trump campaign's indictments... what is it now - 12?   Cheesy

Is that what you're trying to prove here ray?

Perhaps you missed this in your story?

At issue for Craig is work he did starting in 2012, after his White House stint, at the Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom law firm preparing a report concerning Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych’s jailing of one of his political opponents, former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 04/11/19 at 15:16:39

Oh...and when was Manaforts deed done?

According to the indictment Robert Mueller filed against him, Manafort was an unregistered “agent of the Government of Ukraine.” He also functioned as an agent of Viktor Yanukovych, Ukraine’s president from 2010 to 2014, and of two political parties, the Party of Regions and its successor, the Opposition Bloc.

Manafort was not an unregistered agent of Russia. Mueller never alleged that Manafort was a clandestine operative of the Kremlin. He worked for Ukraine, not Putin. Indeed, for much of his time in Ukraine, he pushed his clients against Putin’s interests.

Trying to prove....????

Just trying to gather thoughts and opinions, as this stuff seems very fluid, active, and changing.....

You doing assuming now?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/11/19 at 15:28:21

raydawg wrote on 04/11/19 at 15:16:39:
Oh...and when was Manaforts deed done?

According to the indictment Robert Mueller filed against him, Manafort was an unregistered “agent of the Government of Ukraine.” He also functioned as an agent of Viktor Yanukovych, Ukraine’s president from 2010 to 2014, and of two political parties, the Party of Regions and its successor, the Opposition Bloc.

Manafort was not an unregistered agent of Russia. Mueller never alleged that Manafort was a clandestine operative of the Kremlin. He worked for Ukraine, not Putin. Indeed, for much of his time in Ukraine, he pushed his clients against Putin’s interests.

Well ray, although that's all true - but where was manafort working when he was indited?  Oh yeah, the trump camp!
The FBI reportedly began a criminal investigation into manafort in 2014, shortly after Yanukovich was deposed.(wiki)

Trying to prove....????

Indeed, what are you trying to prove ray?

Just trying to gather thoughts and opinions, as this stuff seems very fluid, active, and changing.....

Yeah, it is, but don't try and muddy the waters even more by trying to pin this idiot as "an Obama guy".  "At issue for Craig is work he did starting in 2012, after his White House stint"

Unlike manafort, who was knee deep with trump while under investigation.

You doing assuming now?

No ray, I'm not.  See above.  I have facts on my side.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 04/11/19 at 16:00:54

OK, cool.....I can't claim to know everything, etc......

I mean golly, a lot of folk who make their living predicting, forecasting, advising, in the media, and political arena, etc, who are way smarter than me, and in tune, with many, many resources at their disposal, sure missed the outcome of 2016, and the following years of the Mueller investigations outcome re: Trump and Russia.

I'll leave it to the pros  Grin

I am just finding it amazing to what is transpiring in our society today, and that is about as deep as it goes, with me.  Smiley

Carry on buddy, you have fun, I will just watch and enjoy from the sidelines  Grin

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/12/19 at 05:44:11

raydawg wrote on 04/11/19 at 16:00:54:
OK, cool.....I can't claim to know everything, etc......

I mean golly, a lot of folk who make their living predicting, forecasting, advising, in the media, and political arena, etc, who are way smarter than me, and in tune, with many, many resources at their disposal, sure missed the outcome of 2016, and the following years of the Mueller investigations outcome re: Trump and Russia.

I'll leave it to the pros  Grin

Please... enough of the false self deprecating show, huh ray?  No one's buying it.

And lets not forget, the polls were actually right - you see, they monitor the popular vote - but I'm not going to rehash that.

I am just finding it amazing to what is transpiring in our society today, and that is about as deep as it goes, with me.  Smiley

Yeah, it is.  It's a shame that so many people give trump a pass on pretty much anything.  As long as their guy is there, all is well.  Hypocrisy.

Carry on buddy, you have fun, I will just watch and enjoy from the sidelines  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 20:17:52

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Who next....????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.