Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Conservatives: which is more important? (Read 441 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Conservatives: which is more important?
Reply #15 - 03/25/19 at 08:03:19

WebsterMark wrote on 03/25/19 at 07:54:49:
Not at all, its just this has the potential to be an interesting discussion and you'll ruin it.

Oh please.  You've had such great debates as "shut up" - so don't preach to me.

The OP was about capitalism vs democracy.  Yet you have to ask Eegore if he's a liberal. (do liberals really bother you that much? sheesh...)

Take your own advice and look at his response above.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/25/19 at 08:50:09

and no one has actually answered yet...

one said, in the US because of our debt, they'd pick capitalism....  

but I should clarify....  

this is about philosophy, not situational

would you rather have democracy, as in,  a one person, one vote, a say for the common person in governance

or

capitalism where money =  power but please correct me though, I know capitalism is much more involved than that, so let's come to a SIMPLE definition we can all agree on

and to be fair, I'll put my cards on the table, I choose democracy, because capitalism hasn't worked for me...  which is totally my fault, I'm just not motivated or excited by money... I understand you work to pay and that paying equals value, and all that I get the system, I work, I've never taken any money from the government for anything, I pay rent, food, medical bills, etc...  I live in capitalism, I get it. I'm a failure in a purely capitalistic sense.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/25/19 at 09:07:19

T And T Garage wrote on 03/25/19 at 08:03:19:
Not at all, its just this has the potential to be an interesting discussion and you'll ruin it.

The OP was about capitalism vs democracy.  Yet you have to ask Eegore if he's a liberal. (do liberals really bother you that much? sheesh...)

Shut up.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/25/19 at 09:15:08

LostArtist wrote on 03/25/19 at 08:50:09:

but I should clarify....  

would you rather have democracy, as in,  a one person, one vote, a say for the common person in governance

or

capitalism where money =  power but please correct me though, I know capitalism is much more involved than that, so let's come to a SIMPLE definition we can all agree on

and to be fair, I'll put my cards on the table, I choose democracy, because capitalism hasn't worked for me...  which is totally my fault, I'm just not motivated or excited by money... I understand you work to pay and that paying equals value, and all that I get the system, I work, I've never taken any money from the government for anything, I pay rent, food, medical bills, etc...  I live in capitalism, I get it. I'm a failure in a purely capitalistic sense.

For one, I'd say capitalism has in fact worked for you. you're confusing capitalism with extreme wealth. it's more about freedom to achieve whatever level of living your desires and ability takes you to. if you're comfortable in your life, fine. I've had opportunities to move for more, but am comfortable where I am. I don't want the extra work load or to relocate.

For me, if i had to pick one, I'd say capitalism is more important because it's far more likely capitalism will result in a society ruled by some variation of a democratic system.

But I contend you can't have one without the other. At the very least, you can't have some variation of one without the other.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 03/25/19 at 09:29:13

WebsterMark wrote on 03/25/19 at 07:23:43:
To a degree, but fair point.
Ok, for the sake of argument, let's assume you can have capitalism without  democracy. can you have the reverse? examples other than  Venezuela ?

I haven't looked at Eegore's links yet but these come to mind; Zimbabwe, South Africa, and sometime in the next decade or so, most of the EU

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/25/19 at 09:33:45

Eegore wrote on 03/25/19 at 07:44:07:
 To be clear Capitalism, in my opinion, includes a political component but not Democracy as a requirement.

A number of African states technically operate under Non-Capitalist economic structure while maintaining non-Democratic, typically Authoritarian government structure.  Most of the local economies run off of local structured pricing, they can't own their product and set their own pricing, key components to Capitalism.  

I utilize EIU World Democracy Index parameters among 9 others to calculate my definition of Democratic governance and Capitalism.  Three primary and easy to use resources follow:

http://www.eiu.com/topic/democracy-index

https://www.heritage.org/index/

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/economic-freedom-of-the-world-2018-an...

You can use this tool to graph your own data:

https://www.heritage.org/index/visualize

One can compare Capitalist rating with Democratic rating and find a number of countries technically operating as a Non-Capitalist economy with at most a "flawed" Democracy.

So in other words, fifty  shades of grey ?

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/25/19 at 09:59:04

WebsterMark wrote on 03/25/19 at 09:15:08:
LostArtist wrote on 03/25/19 at 08:50:09:

but I should clarify....  

or

For one, I'd say capitalism has in fact worked for you. you're confusing capitalism with extreme wealth. it's more about freedom to achieve whatever level of living your desires and ability takes you to. if you're comfortable in your life, fine. I've had opportunities to move for more, but am comfortable where I am. I don't want the extra work load or to relocate.

For me, if i had to pick one, I'd say capitalism is more important because it's far more likely capitalism will result in a society ruled by some variation of a democratic system.

But I contend you can't have one without the other. At the very least, you can't have some variation of one without the other.

no, capitalism hasn't worked for me, I WORK FOR IT cause I have to.  

and you can still achieve whatever level of living you want in a democracy, if you can convince the majority to vote you what you want... you still work, just in a different way perhaps...

is the recognition that all humans are equal (democracy) important?  I contend that you only get that via a pursuit of democracy, not capitalism.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/25/19 at 10:30:59

WebsterMark wrote on 03/25/19 at 09:07:19:
T And T Garage wrote on 03/25/19 at 08:03:19:

Shut up.

LOL - yep, just the response I encouraged and got you to say.

So predictable.  So easy.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/25/19 at 11:09:13

"this is about philosophy, not situational

or

"

While I don't agree that involving Capitalism the comparison of money = power in exclusivity is correct, I think it perhaps it can be money = Potential (Potential squared might even be better) for this discussion.

With that in mind I still don't quite understand the connection when it comes to preference of one over the other.  For instance am I being asked if I have the option of being able to vote or being able to make enough money to purchase a seat in local or national elections?

Money = power and power = purchasing power thus people with more money can purchase seats in local and national elections in place of Democratic elections?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/25/19 at 11:26:27

LOL - yep, just the response I encouraged and got you to say.

So predictable.  So easy.

Hush.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/25/19 at 11:36:03

so, maybe.....

Capitalism = the pursuit of money (the invisible hand of the marketplace moves to increase efficiency to increase profit)

Democracy = the pursuit of equality (one person one vote)

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/25/19 at 11:36:03

and you can still achieve whatever level of living you want in a democracy, if you can convince the majority to vote you what you want... you still work, just in a different way perhaps...

is the recognition that all humans are equal (democracy) important?  I contend that you only get that via a pursuit of democracy, not capitalism.

Lost, you wrote those words on a computer you purchased while sitting on a chair in a house you purchased or apartment you pay rent on sitting. Your PC has more computing power than what took men to the moon. Individuals developed the methods to design it, source the raw materials, produce it and bring it to market. they did this under both a form of democratic rule that endorsed a capitalistic business model.
Without capitalism, you would be struggling to feed yourself, stay warm and out of the cold.

is the recognition that all humans are equal (democracy) important?  I contend that you only get that via a pursuit of democracy, not capitalism
Are all humans equal? In what regard? All humans have worth. Are they equal in every manner? No. Society judges some humans to be less equal than others. We put violent offenders in prison for example and take away their freedom. We do that using a democratic system, not a capitalistic one.

We're blending a lot of definitions here, squeezing round pegs in square holes.

I stand by my point that you can't really have one without the other.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/25/19 at 11:38:50

LostArtist wrote on 03/25/19 at 11:36:03:
so, maybe.....

Capitalism = the pursuit of money (the invisible hand of the marketplace moves to increase efficiency to increase profit)

Democracy = the pursuit of equality (one person one vote)

If that's the case, you can't compare and make a selection since they are different things.

Speaking of invisible hands, if you've not read this before, read it.

https://fee.org/resources/i-pencil/

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/25/19 at 12:31:04

"If that's the case, you can't compare and make a selection since they are different things."

I agree.

Capitalism and Democracy unless you are stating are mutually exclusive, are not similar enough to make a decision between the two.

Pursuit of money, OR pursuit of Democratic election process are hard for me to compress into one thing.  When I vote (Democracy) how am I excluding my personal process of financial gain?  Am I being told, in this post, that if I choose equal voting I can not run a business or otherwise work towards personal financial goals?

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 03/25/19 at 12:47:04

WebsterMark wrote on 03/25/19 at 11:36:03:

Lost, you wrote those words on a computer you purchased while sitting on a chair in a house you purchased or apartment you pay rent on sitting. Your PC has more computing power than what took men to the moon. Individuals developed the methods to design it, source the raw materials, produce it and bring it to market. they did this under both a form of democratic rule that endorsed a capitalistic business model.
Without capitalism, you would be struggling to feed yourself, stay warm and out of the cold.

why?

is the recognition that all humans are equal (democracy) important?  I contend that you only get that via a pursuit of democracy, not capitalism
Are all humans equal? In what regard? All humans have worth. Are they equal in every manner? No. Society judges some humans to be less equal than others. We put violent offenders in prison for example and take away their freedom. We do that using a democratic system, not a capitalistic one.

private prisons are run for profit

We're blending a lot of definitions here, squeezing round pegs in square holes.

I stand by my point that you can't really have one without the other.

I can see how it can be hard to separate the two, we've been born and raised in a culture that thinks the two are all but synonymous.  But they aren't.  

so let's work on figuring out what they are.  

Democracy is, is a form of government that says the governed should have a say in that government, ideally, perhaps, and equal say, meaning that your vote doesn't count any more than my vote ( 1 = 1).  The goal of democracy is to achieve security and stability in a community via that community's input.

capitalism is NOT a form of government, but in fact rejects government and embraces individual ownership rights and individual right to pursue money/profit. The goal of capitalism is to make as much profit as possible.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 16:22:52

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Conservatives: which is more important?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.