Special No More (Read 73 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Special No More
03/27/19 at 08:42:18

At least not to betsy...

betsy devos grilled in Congress over proposed elimination of Special Olympics funding

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos struggled before a congressional subcommittee on Tuesday to defend at least $7 billion in proposed cuts to education programs, including eliminating all $18 million in federal funding for the Special Olympics.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/betsy-devos-grilled-congress-over-propose...

For the record, that $18 million is roughly 5 trips to mar-a-lago for the idiot in chief.

But I'll be your huckleberry - all you republicans - please try to justify this move by betsy.

This ought to be good....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Special No More
Reply #1 - 03/27/19 at 09:41:54

Once again, Trump MAGA's the sh!t of it...

Today we learn Barbara Bush kept a countdown clock to Trump's end of term by her bedside.
First time she ever didn't vote Republican.

...and she voted for Lincoln.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/27/19 at 10:08:32

I'm not pro-removal of social program funding however I am pro-audit to see if the money is being spent efficiently.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/27/19 at 10:21:32

Eegore wrote on 03/27/19 at 10:08:32:
 I'm not pro-removal of social program funding however I am pro-audit to see if the money is being spent efficiently.

Agreed.  But that's not what this is.  This is eliminating Special Olympics funding.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/27/19 at 20:31:11

"Agreed.  But that's not what this is.  This is eliminating Special Olympics funding. "

Right, and it reduces a lot of Special Education funding as well.

In another thread there is discussion about Capitalism vs. Democracy which as far as I can tell is about spending money to make more money or spending money on US citizens when you get through all the name calling and profanity.

This is an example of poor Capitalism reducing the impact of good Social programs through reduced funding which I do not agree with.

I'd rather see long-term investments appropriated to the Special Education and Special Olympic programs instead of continued direct funding until a third party audit is made.  There will be more funding available in the long-run that way and the Federal funding can be justified easier.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/29/19 at 06:49:45

Nobody has a positive for this?

I thought by now someone would have figured out a way to either provide an alternate perspective or at a minimum attack the data, or even move the content towards conspiracy of some kind.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/29/19 at 07:17:38

The Special Olympics is a private organization and in 2017, I read they posted revenues of $149 million dollars. This proposed cut, which will never happen now, is roughly 10% of what I'm guessing is higher revenues in 2019.

Should the Feds give money to a private organization like this that is raising hundreds of millions on its own?

One of my favorite writers is Walter Williams. He has long proposed and I believe a couple of Congressmen submit legislation (that never gets voted on) every year known as the Enumerated Powers Act. Basically, it says every legislation passed by Congress and signed by the President must contain chapter and verse from the Constitution where the Federal Government has been granted authority to spend citizens money.

Think how differently things would be if that were enacted.....  good thought experiment.

First off, states would become far more powerful. Governors would wield the power that a select few Senators and House members wield now.

Interesting....

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/29/19 at 07:39:33

"Should the Feds give money to a private organization like this that is raising hundreds of millions on its own?"

That's a good question.  I would want to see what the operating costs are in order to make an educated decision.  If the Special Olympics is operating on capital then they do not need Federal funding.  If they are operating on a deficit due to poor management or abuse then they should not get Federal funding.

Special Education programs however are severely short on funds nationwide and are regularly audited, I don't see a reason at this time to remove funding for Special Education.  

The problem I have with utilizing the Constitution as a required step is that it isn't amended fast enough to keep up with modern technology, but that's another discussion.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/29/19 at 08:03:20

Is this special education or Special Olympics, two different topics.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/29/19 at 08:13:52

The new budget cuts funding from both.

Special Olympics is getting more attention I think because all the funding is removed and provides a hard number where Special Education gets a percentage cut of about 26% as well as cutting millions for providing education to blind children.

I agree that Special Olympics can probably work out alternatives, but public education has considerably more challenges, and is regularly audited for efficiency.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/29/19 at 08:59:26

26% cut to special education seems out of line. I've not read up on this and I certainly don't trust network news to tell me the truth. Are you sure the proposal is to cut special ed by 26%?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/29/19 at 09:16:58

I am sure.  I do not use Network news, or any news to run my numbers.  To keep it simple, yet more accurate, there is about 26% total in cuts that impact programs that serve deaf, blind, and special education.  

Most of it is re-allocation and not a "cut" but it results in programs like National Technical Institute for the Deaf losing 7 million or so, and American Printing House for the Blind loses about 5 million.

Even though Trump is now saying he will fund the Special Olympics, no surprise there, I would rather see the re-allocation go to a program that doesn't get millions in private donations.

Department of Education numbers:

https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/history/index.html

Outline of Process for reference to run calculations:

https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/process.html

Current budget tables, look over the 2019 and 2020  Budget Requests:

https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/tables.html

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/29/19 at 09:59:48

I don't have time now, but I will read up on it.

I don't know why we just don't do a 5% across the board cut in every budget. No questions asked.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 16:24:03

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Special No More

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.