Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleaning Up Corrosion On Aluminum (Read 123 times)
DaveinFL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cleaning Up Corrosion On Aluminum
01/26/19 at 04:12:39

Just bought a 2009 S40 with 8000 miles on it and appears to be stock, I plan on leaving it that way for now. It has its share of rust and corrosion apparently from sitting outdoors. I’m going to be busy for awhile cleaning it up. There are spots of corrosion on the forks, triple tree, etc… I polished a few spots which came out fine but then there is anodize? on the parts which makes it impossible to match. I’ve read about several ways to take this off from sanding with 300grit then progressively finer sand paper to 1500, or oven cleaner or lye then polishing. I’m not sure which method to use, has anyone done this? Any advice would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Cleaning Up Corrosion On Aluminum
Reply #1 - 01/26/19 at 07:56:08

You can get pretty good looking results using a palm sander with coarse paper to strip the clear and corrosion first. 400 will probably do it. I had a few places on mine that required going to 280 grit though. After that you can move up to 600 and 800 to clean up the coarse grit scratches. From there it will buff up okay with polishing compound and a drill with a buffing pad. The faster the drill can spin the better. Then a final polish with Mother's or similar polish will give you the gleaming "looks like chrome" shine. A Dremel with a polishing wheel makes short work of  the tight spots on the engine side covers too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/26/19 at 07:59:59

I would take the clear coat off with aircraft stripper 1st.
Then go at it with the paper.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 01/26/19 at 10:21:29

Once the clear coat on the aluminum fails, corrosion begins. The only remedy is to remove the clear coat (use aircraft stripper) and polish the surface to a shine. If the bike is garage kept and doesn't see the rain you'll need to spruce the polish up but once a year. If the bike is kept outdoors or in a damp location, you're fighting a loosing battle. The alternative is to polish the parts to a shine, then remove any trace of the polish, followed by a new coat of clear. To be honest, I haven't seen a good (lasting) result from this method.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/26/19 at 13:44:43

Once you have the clear off, put a green 3M scrubby pad on an orbital, kept slightly damp with a squirt bottle.
Then see about a higher quality clear coat than rattle can. Talk to the paint store that sells to body shops.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 01/26/19 at 17:52:43

There is a clear powdercoat too if you want something more durable. Get someone who has used the clear before because it can come out cloudy if it is their first attempt with the clear powdercoat.

IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/28/19 at 06:46:25

I use clear powder coat on silver jewelry that I make. It holds better on a brushed finish than it does on a polished finish. I think I will strip mine and do a brushed finish and some hand engraving and then a clear powder coat.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #7 - 01/28/19 at 14:31:47

I roughed mine up and just painted it with aluminum colored engine paint. It's cheap, easy to re apply, looks good, and seems to hold up fairly well.

IP Logged
DaveinFL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/29/19 at 03:51:22

Thanks for all your suggestions. I’ve been working on it as I have time, experimenting a little. Fast 650’s works best for me. On the pieces I’ve taken off so far, paint stripers and oven cleaner won’t touch the finish and it comes off fairly easily by sanding. It has to be sanded anyhow to smooth out the pitting from corrosion. I didn’t step up in sand paper grit after 400 though. I found that a buffing ball made of scotch bright to get around all the curves works great to take all the sand scratches out. I followed that with polishing compound, mothers aluminum polish, then a stick of Jewelers polish? Not sure what it is I had it sitting around my garage so long the paper it’s covered with deteriorated. It looks like chrome after the last step. I kinda doubt if any paint type clear coating will stick to it for protection. I’ll cross that bridge when I’m finished with the task at hand.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/29/19 at 06:51:54

DaveinFL wrote on 01/29/19 at 03:51:22:
Fast 650’s works best for me. On the pieces I’ve taken off so far, paint stripers and oven cleaner won’t touch the finish and it comes off fairly easily by sanding.

If you are buying your paint stripper at Lowe's or Home Depot or Walmart......they are worthless on the paint/coatings on motorcycles.

You need a real stripper.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/aircraft-paint-remover

I buy this at the local supplier where body shops get their paint and supplies.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/29/19 at 08:34:14

yup, everything else is meant for stripping varnish off of wood.

for getting real paint off of metal you need aircraft stripper.

and it will tear the skin off of you too, so wear gloves.

WWW   IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/29/19 at 08:47:57

I used an automotive paint stripper that I bought from the same company I buy powder coat products from. I used it to strip the tank, front fender and few other pieces. It was amazing and dangerous. Not only should you wear gloves, eye protection might be a good idea. The odor and or fumes was not too bad though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 20:22:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cleaning Up Corrosion On Aluminum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.