Towing trailers....???? (Read 97 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Towing trailers....????
01/18/19 at 08:39:57

Thought I would seek input from any of you who tow.

I have a Ford F-250 Super Duty FX with the 6.2 gasser, 6 speed automatic transmission that you can tune/chip, or shift manually. It has anti-sway and electric breaks for pulling, etc.
Its the super crew and regular bed.

It pulled my 24 foot boat like its not even there, however, those were for short trips to the water.
We are looking at a 25 foot ( plus or minus a few feet, but under 30 ) trailers, and just not sure what to get.
We will not be full timers, nor out more than a few weeks at a time, so we don't need a "home".
I am thinking I will want to go places that just might not be feasible, access wise, to a larger unit.
It will be only my wife and I, and her two mini weenies....maybe a grand kid, or two, once in a while.
Pretty much figured we need a slide out in the living area.
Now here is where I am really on the fence, bumper pull, or 5th wheel?
I like to keep my bed unmolested, and use it for storage too.....???

Anybody got any input/advice on their towing?

Is there a "safe margin" to stay under for "max" weight pulling....???
I don't want a load that buts up against its max....I mean, is it safe up to 10,000 lbs, but at 10,100 lbs you are out of control?   Huh

Thanks  Smiley

PS: I have looked in/posted on trailer message boards, however, they are like going on the politico board here, out of control, hahah!
Folks extremely opinionated, argumentative, and try to sell you sumtin....
Might as well debate Maryann or Ginger  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Beerm8
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Re: Towing trailers....????
Reply #1 - 01/18/19 at 09:41:10

At the risk of showing my opinion...5th wheel is safer and easier to pull....never seen one pop off the hitch.   Find the rig you really like and do what it takes to make it work....and have fun.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 01/18/19 at 10:35:51

Beerm8 wrote on 01/18/19 at 09:41:10:
At the risk of showing my opinion...5th wheel is safer and easier to pull....never seen one pop off the hitch.   Find the rig you really like and do what it takes to make it work....and have fun.

thank you.....

I like firsthand experience by those who have nothing to sell me.
The lots tell you anything on the lop will work  Angry

Can you expand on the differences if possible?

I am still trying to wrap a understanding on just what my limit is with this truck??????  Embarrassed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #3 - 01/18/19 at 15:11:44

The downside to a 5th wheel rig is the loss of bed space with the rig in use. And you have to bolt it through the bed. They are more stable. And the weight is better distributed on the truck's suspension. When towing a bumper style hitch there are options to help stabilize the load. Anti-sway bars and load distributing hitches. Either way folks put many hundreds of thousands of miles on without issue. Get some credible instruction on how to manage your rig and you should be fine.

Oh, and I have driven tow trucks for many years when I was younger. Just so you know my experience. Wink

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 01/18/19 at 15:45:53

GOF wrote on 01/18/19 at 15:11:44:
The downside to a 5th wheel rig is the loss of bed space with the rig in use. And you have to bolt it through the bed. They are more stable. And the weight is better distributed on the truck's suspension. When towing a bumper style hitch there are options to help stabilize the load. Anti-sway bars and load distributing hitches. Either way folks put many hundreds of thousands of miles on without issue. Get some credible instruction on how to manage your rig and you should be fine.

Oh, and I have driven tow trucks for many years when I was younger. Just so you know my experience. Wink

Thank you....it is quite daunting, trying to figure it all out.
Are you familiar with the Ford built in anti-sway, when you are in tow/haul mode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sLRBv_CToY

I am thinking with a 12500 towing capacity, I am only looking at 8000 or so in the models we like.
That seems to give me some pretty decent cushion, yes?
And my factory class 4 hitch, that should be plenty too.

Again, thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #5 - 01/18/19 at 16:38:55

That's nice. But a properly balanced load is better. Any camper you buy will be designed to be in proper balance. You would have to place WAY too much weight behind the axle to get that kind of control issue.

And I think 3-4k buffer on your weight ratings will be plenty. With a 12.5k rating 8k is nearly 1/3 less than max.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 01/20/19 at 07:29:32

Ray ,

Ever wonder why cattle trailers , hay trailers , log trailers , etc are 5th wheel ?

They are so easy to back up , and a lot easier on your truck too.   You've seen the hidden door in the middle of the bed models haven't ya ?

Get a flat bed trailer to go with the 5th wheel and you've got a part time job added to the mix !    Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 01/20/19 at 08:29:32

MMRanch wrote on 01/20/19 at 07:29:32:
Ray ,

Ever wonder why cattle trailers , hay trailers , log trailers , etc are 5th wheel ?

They are so easy to back up , and a lot easier on your truck too.   You've seen the hidden door in the middle of the bed models haven't ya ?

Get a flat bed trailer to go with the 5th wheel and you've got a part time job added to the mix !    Wink

Thanks buddy.....

I believe fivers have a distinct advantage when you go over 30 foot, of that I am certain.
But I am not wanting to go that big......YET????

I am going to buy new, and factor resell in, if I take to this life style and go bigger, the bumper pull is much easier to sell, not even close....
Also, per square foot price and livability design, the "flat floor" of a bumper again wins, not to mention height over the truck is less too....

A big concern too, at this point, is I ain't hauling cattle  Grin
I don't want to molest my truck bed, but use it for covered storage.

Still remodeling the house, lots of guest coming up to the island this summer, etc.
I prolly won't buy until fall, unless I see a screaming deal  Grin

Thanks for sharing !

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/20/19 at 09:38:31

My trailering experience is limited to a weight compensating hitch at the back (no fifth wheel).

I think with the size of your truck and the size of trailer you are thinking about, the fifth wheel is not necessary.  The size/weight of your truck will have no problem with a travel trailer that is in the 25-30 foot range.

You might see if there is one of those places that rent travel trailers...maybe rent one for a weekend and see how you like camping/hauling it - or see if you have a neighbor or friend that will let you take their trailer for a "test pull".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/20/19 at 10:05:25

My dad had a half ton pickup and a travel trailer and had a leveling kit with the hitch. You don't need to go to a fifth wheel.
When you are shopping for a trailer, look at the offerings. What length is nothing but ball hitches?
What sizes are all fifth wheel.
You'll get an idea of what size is when you should be thinking about it.
Take a drive through the camp sites,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 01/20/19 at 16:16:52

Tongue weight is a consideration, What is your class 4 hitch rated for ? Trailers aren't balanced, the axles are closer to the rear this places weight on the tongue and gives the tow vehicle traction. An equalizer hitch would allow you to tow a trailer 1/3 heavier than the hitch rating.
     I would think in this day and age ,that a 30 ft trailer shouldn't weigh 8000 lbs. unless you're packing along 50 cases of beer (and I don't think you're into that Grin

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 01/20/19 at 17:37:13

Thanks guys.....
I wish I could answer the questions, etc, but trying to really understand all the numbers, how they relate, etc, really gets confusing.
Most of the trailers I have looked at are between 3500 - 6000 lbs empty.
My truck is GVWR is 10000 lbs - but can pull
15000 lbs.
Supposedly the hitch is already a load leveling style from the factory.
The folk at the lots say I can pull any 23 - 28 foot trailer out there with my existing set up.
It has factory electric brakes with “gain” adjustments, whatever that means.
Has a anti sway program I can turn on in the computer.
And it had tow-haul mode that you set which makes the transmission shift accordingly.
Now, I can tell you were the key goes....
No, maybe not, it has a keyless entry, and yes, more than once I have set my own alarm off  Embarrassed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 01/20/19 at 18:14:37

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 01/22/19 at 10:39:08

Thanks all......I am very grateful!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 01/22/19 at 11:51:31

has factory electric brakes with “gain” adjustments, whatever that means.

Allows you to set how much trailer brake gets applied if you put x pressure on the brake pedal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 13:55:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Towing trailers....????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.