Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike pulls to left (Read 80 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Bike pulls to left
01/06/19 at 13:41:57

Went for a spin on the S40 and discovered a slight tendency to pull to the left, the handlebars also appear to be very slightly out of square. Upon further investigation it seems that someone was following too closely around a corner and apparently, I'm told the bike did not go down but the front fork apparently caught the bumper bar, apparently blah blah blah, I guess I'll never really know what happened but now I'm just wondering what the process is for checking where the problem is.

How should I best assess what damage if any has been done and what steps I now take to decide on a course of action.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Bike pulls to left
Reply #1 - 01/06/19 at 14:14:18

Try this first. If the forks just got twisted in the trees, and nothing is actually bent. this might be all you need to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEmOqY02EU

On a Savage you have to leave the pinch bolts on the lower tree tight I think. There are no pinch bolts on the top tree. With the stem nut loose the bars should still straighten out.

« Last Edit: 01/06/19 at 15:33:05 by oldNslow »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/06/19 at 17:21:49

Change voter registration.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/07/19 at 04:01:26

This happened on dirt bikes pretty often.

Loosen the lower pinch bolts, stand in front of the bike with the wheel/tire between your knees and grab the handlebars......twist in the direction you want to correct the steering....then tighten the lower pinch bolts.  (I never have had to loosen the stem nut to get the forks straight - but you might check and make sure it is tight after you get things straight).

It may take a few tries to get it right.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 01/07/19 at 12:39:49

Hi Eau,

I had a similar situation with my bike. I also know for a fact that the previous owner dropped the bike on its left side, while stationary. Also I've changed my handlebars a few times and have had 'fun' getting the new one's straight when fitting them.

One thing I can add is that there is a little bit of play created by the rubber mounts on the handlebar clamps. I've found it useful at times, especially when installing bars, to keep checking that the bars are in line (and tweaking the position), as I tighten the bolts on the clamps.

Good luck with it.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 01/20/19 at 15:36:32

Dave wrote on 01/07/19 at 04:01:26:
Loosen the lower pinch bolts, stand in front of the bike with the wheel/tire between your knees and grab the handlebars......twist in the direction you want to correct the steering....then tighten the lower pinch bolts.  (I never have had to loosen the stem nut to get the forks straight - but you might check and make sure it is tight after you get things straight).

It may take a few tries to get it right.

Dave, you are talking about the lower triple tree pinch bolts?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/20/19 at 16:41:31

How would it be Possible to align the lower forks WITHOUT loosening the LOWER pinch bolts?

Ohhh, clue number one

Loosen the lower pinch bolts,

For the needy

Loosen the lower pinch bolts,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 17:57:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike pulls to left

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.