Send Topic Print
Carburator Issues (Read 45 times)
CheffJeff
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carburator Issues
11/30/18 at 16:54:44

Hello! I'm very new to motorcycles and riding as a whole (got my license last week) so I'm making my first appearance here.

I've got a savage ls650 from '04 and it has been sitting and neglected most of it's life. I got the bike for free the guy was moving and didn't want to take the dead bike with him. It has 700 miles on it and I've made it my weekend project to get the bike running. I've been working on it on and off for the last month or so watching youtube videos and looking over the service manual for the bike. I'm 95% sure the carburetor is my issue on why the bike will not start and have it soaking in carb cleaner as I type this. And second issue being the tank is rusted on the interior so I have a tank resealing kit I've gotta get going. But

My question to you all is what kind of maintenance do you recommend for this bike after sitting for so long? So far I've replaced the oil, oil filter, fuses, and air filter. Question #2 what kind of failures is this bike prone to? I want to be on top of the maintenance for my bike.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carburator Issues
Reply #1 - 11/30/18 at 17:48:00

Don't change the oil and filter until you get the bike running!  Oops - too late. (I believe it is always better to start an engine with a full oil system and get it running - then change the oil and filter after you have run the engine long enough to get the old oil warm).  Now that you have clean oil and a dry oil filter and housing.....no oil is going to flow through the engine bearings until the oil pump can pump enough oil to fill up the oil filter and passages - that is not a good thing for a bike that has been sitting for years.

Don't start the the engine, or turn it over until you pull the spark plug and spray some Sta-Bil Fogging oil into the cylinder to lube the piston and rings.  It would also be good to take off the front valve adjustment cap and spray some oil onto the cam and rockers, and then put the valve inspection cap back on.  Then with the spark plug still removed,  turn the engine over with the starter to get the oil pumping into the filter cavity - run the starter no more than 10 seconds and give it a rest for a minute or two.....most likely 3 or 4 cycles and you will have the oil filter cavity filled up.  (Instead of the starter you could leave the plug out and put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear and push the bike around to spin the motor over....some friends helping push would be nice).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 11/30/18 at 18:11:54

I do hope you disassembled the carb ,removing all rubber and plastic parts before soaking( especially the diaphragm
/slide).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
CheffJeff
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/30/18 at 19:32:02

All the rubber parts are all safe and sound. As for oil I'll try all those things tomorrow the carb cleaning was my project tonight. Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:30:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburator Issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.