Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Right side turn signals won't stop blinking (Read 91 times)
SavageMerlacot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Right side turn signals won't stop blinking
11/15/18 at 18:12:14

So, halfway through my ride to work today I noticed that my front and rear right side turn signals would not stop blinking at their regular speed.  My left front and rear signals are not affected and work as expected (when left turn signal is engaged all left and right side lights blink in unison, when left turn signal is disengaged all right side lights continue blinking).  The only way I could get the right side front and rear to stop blinking was to remove the bulbs, which caused my right turn signal indicator light to blink rapidly (which would be expected after removing the bulbs).  After riding all day with only left side functioning blinkers (and the right side blinker indicator light blinking quickly all of the time), I came home for testing.  removed seat and checked fuses, a-OK.  Removed gas tank and tested relay (per directions I found elsewhere on the internet), a-Ok.  Any suggestions for the next thing I should test?  Maybe something wrong with the turn signal controls on left handlebar?  Maybe a problem with the relay that I'm not testing for?

2014 s40, new headlight working great, forkbrace installed, only electrical modification is addition of cables at battery for trickle charger.

Thanks a bunch!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Right side turn signals won't stop blinking
Reply #1 - 11/15/18 at 18:58:36

Have you recently lost a friend, or enemy, who was a republican?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageMerlacot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/15/18 at 19:53:37

welp, the good thing about not having friends or enemies is that you don't lose people.  buuuut I do like your reference to a ghost.  My neighbor reads tarot, that'll be my next stop!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/15/18 at 21:03:14

Sure ain't no fan of nascar.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
SavageMerlacot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/15/18 at 22:09:10

soooooooo, you're sayin theres a ghost?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/16/18 at 02:43:01

The turn signal works by sending power from the battery through the flasher and up to the handlebar switch.....it is an open circuit until you select right/left on the switch.  Once you turn the switch - it completes the circuit by sending power to the wires that lead to the left or right turn signals.

Since the lights are flashing - the power has to be coming through the flasher circuit, and since it is only the right side......it most likely is up at the handlebar assembly.  The switch is either stuck and not cancelling, or there is a short between the two wires somewhere up in the handlebar wire harness.

I would start the process of hunting down the cause by cleaning the switch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SavageMerlacot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/17/18 at 13:48:15

Welp after removing, disassembling, and cleaning the entire left side switch assembly it passes all connectivity testing (wires running to the right side of the blinker switch only have  connectivity when the switch is turned to the right, and lose connectivity otherwise).  I reinstalled on the bike and discovered that after plugging in the 8 wire electrical plug located under the gas tank I am getting connectivity between the right side blinker wires when there should be none.  I'm afraid the short exists somewhere on the other side of this plug, however I don't understand how a fault this deep in the wiring could affect only the right side lights and not the left.  Next step:  pick up some coronas, cut up some limes, put on a kate bush album, and dive deep into the wiring diagram. Huh

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 11/17/18 at 14:27:06

I would look for a  short,  between the positive wire from the turn signal relay( Light blue?), and the right side turn signal (light green?) inline between the handle bar switch and the large connector. look for an area where the wires may have been pinched either by the tank or maybe the forks/fork yokes . The power from the relay(flasher unit) has to be feeding power to the lights before passing on it's normal route through the switch.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/17/18 at 15:32:24

If the flashing stops when you unplug the wire harness connector that leads up to the handlebar - that proves the problem is in the harness that goes from the connector up to the handlebar.

IP Logged
SavageMerlacot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/17/18 at 17:17:11

Thanks Dave, after reading your post I realized that I should be testing the lights actually lighting up and not continuity between the 2 wires running to the right blinker switch on the handlebar.  When I unplug the wire harness connector under the gas tank the front signal stops blinking BUT the rear keeps blinking and gets faster.  When I plug the harness back in both lights blink, and then when I unplug the rear light at it's cable under the seat the rear stops blinking but the front keeps blinking and goes faster.  Soooooo, I do believe that means my short must be between the front wire harness and the plug for the rear light.  thanks for the help, gonna pack it up and try again tomorrow.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/18/18 at 03:18:01

Your short must be in the wire harness somewhere between the flasher unit on the right side of the frame, under the fuel tank - and the connector on the left side of the tank.  The rear turn signal flashes quickly as the load is only half the normal amount - when you connect the harness the front signal is then brought into the circuit.  The short could also be in the wire harness that goes to the signal light in the speedometer.

In any case...it doesn't appear the problem is in the wire harness for the left handlebar control.

It is probably necessary for you to remove the fuel tank and start inspecting the wire harness under the tank.  If you unclip the speedometer harness and the problem goes away...then you know the problem is in the short speedometer wire harness.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 11/18/18 at 15:22:02

Keep in mind that if your leaving the key in the on position for extended periods ,without the bike running you can burn up the ignition module ,it's safer to remove the left side cover and simply unplug it,while working on the lights.

IP Logged
SavageMerlacot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/19/18 at 14:43:43

Sooooooo, I came to the end of my rope last night and started going through a methodical test of every single control or plug in the blinker electrical chain one by one.  And low and behold, toggling the hazard light switch from off to on to off and the right side blinkers function as they should!!!!!!!!!  As best I can figure the hazard light switch was somehow stuck on a setting that was keeping the right side blinkers to be in a permanent 'hazard lights on' condition.  I'm going to put the bike back together tonight and hope the problem doesn't resurface, thanks for everyone's help on this!!!!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 11/19/18 at 16:03:00

Good catch! not having a passing light button nor 4 way flashers nor a Clymer book new enough to show them in a wiring diagram ,didn't allow me to be much help . but glad you found it!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:19:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Right side turn signals won't stop blinking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.