Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
After Market Led Tail/Brake/Turn Lights Wiring (Read 133 times)
edogggg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

After Market Led Tail/Brake/Turn Lights Wiring
10/20/18 at 20:41:55

Hi, everyone. I am new to motorcycle and wiring. I purchased these LED lights for my 2006 Suzuki s40 boulevard ls650.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-20LED-Motorcycle-Stop-Brake-Running-Red-Bu...

So, I took out the old turn lights and brake/running light and will replace them with this purchased LED, it says it will be combined running/brake/turn light.

Here is my question:
Old lights have 2 wires for each turn light and 3 wires for the brake/running light. The new lights have 3 wires for each. according to the manual I have below wires:

old right light                                  new right
+  -                                                +  +  -

old Running/Brake                           new left
+ + -                                          + +  -

old Left light
+ -

I am not replacing the plate light and I will probably replace my flasher relay later. But I am stuck here how to wire the new lights. i am thinking all  "-"
go together. new left /right turn signal "+" go to old left/right turn signal "+".   the remaining "+" all go together????? I am confused.
please help me, thank you in advance. Grin

IP Logged
edogggg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: After Market Led Tail/Brake/Turn Lights Wiring
Reply #1 - 10/20/18 at 21:59:24

my guess is once the remaining " + " all bundled up ( except turn signal "+"), the running light will be on once bike is on and when brake is applied, the light will be brighter?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/21/18 at 04:08:58

I believe their add is misleading.  It appears the lights have a ground, a low power light, and a brighter light.  If you connect it up to the stock wires you will have red running lights, and brighter turn signal lights - I don't believe there is any "magic" circuit in the lights that will allow them to become "turn signals" and "brake" lights.

The stock lights are only turn signals....therefore they only have 2 wires and one is a ground and one is the power (if my memory serves me right the colors are grey and green, with the round being black).

On your new turn signals the black will go to the ground (black/white wire on bike), the white wire is likely the running light and will connect to the wire for the license plate light or running light wire in the tail light (brown on the bike), and the red wire is likely the brighter bulb and will connect to your turn signal wire (grey on one side and green on the other side of the bike).

Your new rear lights will function as running lights, and brighter turn signals (they will not function as brake lights).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/21/18 at 06:59:35

led turn signals will require a resistor for each side or an electronic flasher

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
edogggg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/21/18 at 07:00:10

thank you Dave for responding.i was watching this guy's video and i was thinking doing the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R16hh5YAj84&t=27s
he shows the lights on 6:36s of the video

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/21/18 at 16:25:35

I didn't watch long enough to see if he showed you how he made them work - but you need something like this:  (It is somewhat simple to hook up if you can read and follow directions and follow a wiring diagram - but it is not plug and play and there are quite a few wires to hook up correctly).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Badlands-ILL-01-Run-Brake-Turn-Signal-Module-All-Har...

And....I have a few comments.

You only need to have single filament turn turn signals for this controller - so you would wire in the red light on the aftermarket turn signals you bought, and not use the white wire.

The stock tail/brake light is likely much brighter than your aftermarket turn signals......and/or much more visible in daylight.  I have ridden behind bikes on Poker Runs or just daily riding, and the cheaper aftermarket turn signals that are not DOT approved are hard to see in direct sunlight - they just aren't going to put out enough light to help keep you from getting run over by a distracted driver.  A lot of custom bikes have tail lights, brake lights and headlights that are pretty much useless on a bike that is going to be ridden on public highways.

If you are going to eliminate the rear running/brake light - at least use lights that are DOT approved.....or at a minimum that are very bright.  The Harley Davidson Roadster uses a pair of rear lights.....and I am sure they are DOT approved.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
edogggg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/22/18 at 06:30:35

thank you Dave. I never thought of the DOT approved aspect of lights.
I will give your recommendation a try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:28:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › After Market Led Tail/Brake/Turn Lights Wiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.