What a day ! (Read 340 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: What a day !
Reply #30 - 10/25/18 at 22:26:47

Sounds like big fun , possibly followed with some jail time ! Grin Grin Grin
The canned food isle wouldn't stand a chance , it would look like a 7.0 earthquake hit wallyworld !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #31 - 10/26/18 at 09:57:49

We would have to stop in the bicycle section first and get one of those old microphone siren deals for the handlebars that we had growing up. Gotta be able to harass the other shoppers  Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 10/26/18 at 17:03:42

"divine intervention got me to the hospital in time"

Yep, you are exactly right on this one, it was divine intervention.
Nothing happens without HIS approval.  Nothing.
HE put you in that room with the view of the cemetery.
HE set you on your new course.
Pay attention.

In 2011 while riding I left the road for no apparent reason and had what could have been my last ride.  The instant I hit the ground I KNEW it was HIM who had thrown me from my bike, broke my back in several places along with a mess of ribs and a lot of severely bruised internal organs.  I became aware shortly after the impact that I would not die but could very well be paralyzed from the waist down.  It took me over a year to recover to an 80% level and another 6 months before I was really back to normal.  There is still a spot on L-1 vertebrae (the most seriously damaged spot, a compression fracture that nearly broke off a portion of bone that would have likely paralyzed me if it had broken off and cut the spinal cord) that reminds me occasionally of what happened.  It doesn't actuallly HURT but it is very noticeable to me.
HE had warned me 3 times to change my behavior and I tried to ignore the warnings.  It does not pay to ignore HIS warnings.

Hebrews 10:31  
"It is fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living GOD."

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #33 - 10/26/18 at 21:01:42

Oh you can bet I'm paying attention ! I've been gifted with the rest of my life !
Met with my primary doctor today , she said quit smoking (done) , quit working every bit of overtime (boss ain't gonna like that) , change my diet to a heart healthy , this will be a challenge but I'll get it done. The picture in my brain of the cemetery is enough motivation to eat less crap. And then just walk or ride a bicycle at least 3 times a week.
NO cigarettes , reduce stress , eat better , exercise and any extra weight should go away! Already lost 6 lbs , hopefully loose another 10 to 15 lbs to lighten the load on my heart.

AND RIDE MORE !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #34 - 10/26/18 at 21:02:02

There ya go Ruttly :

Another good thing to come out of your experience ;   Now I'm looking for and wondering what the Good Lord has been trying to point me toward so I don't need to experience an event like you and Lancer had !  Wink

I hope your out and ridding soon , and being more careful than some of those bikers I met last spring at the "Two Wheels of Suches" Ga. last spring !  Roll Eyes

Our ride with YouzGuyz in 2018 was a LOT-OF-FUN without the sliding sideways and speedway style running like most of our Dragon Runs turns into.    I'm thinking Slow-Down and enjoy the Company and the Ride might be a good thing to adopt .  Huh     That might be as hard to do as changing your diet ?  Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #35 - 10/26/18 at 21:21:12

My butt in the seat and the wind in my face is coming real soon , no back roads blastin just out riding well below redline will be just fine with me.
If your over fifty it's time to have your you heart checked and make sure the pipes are clear , don't wait till your 58 and in an ambulance !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #36 - 10/26/18 at 21:33:51

I thought you were a 1953 baby ?    Sorry about putting more years on ya before you've got to enjoy them .  Embarrassed

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #37 - 10/26/18 at 22:47:37

MM , Above ground and very happy ! Be even happier when I get to retire !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #38 - 10/27/18 at 05:36:13

All your boss should be saying is “we are just happy you are still here & kicking.  Work as you are able.”

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and diabetes in 2000.  The cancer was taken care of with surgery but controlling blood sugar has proved to be difficult for me.   Over time the meds have changed and increased to control blood sugar levels.  I slowly changed my diet but it was not enough or quickly enough to keep the disease from progressing.  I’m not in bad physical condition, medically, since I am still on oral meds and not insulin.  I am thankful for that.  My wife has been on a mission since we married in 2013 and insures I have a very good healthy diet appropriate for a diabetic.  I still eat things occasionally I shouldn’t but am doing better than I did for years.

MM I changed most of my riding style after the accident.  I don’t ride nearly as close to the edge as I did in the past.  Something like that really clears up your vision about our ability to control our life.  The message, “tomorrow is not promised.”

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #39 - 10/27/18 at 10:29:27

As an old racer we feel riding the edge all the time is ok , kinda keeps us tuned up , in fact it does keep the skills sharp. But are you as sharp as you think you are ? Racing during you 20's & 30's your very sharp , but now it's about 50's & 60's , years & years of experience but now vision is much more affected by changing light(semi shaded back roads we all love) our eyes reacting slower. Our brains reacting slower , processing information slower than 30 years ago. Our muscles not what they used to be no matter how fit you think you are. So add it up reaction times reduced between eyes and brain , brain and muscles and that aging pea we call our brain struggles to process the information and then send it out. So riding the edge in fact is harder & harder as years go by,we are relying on our years of experience using a obsolete computer to go fast ! As long as you understand that and compensate for it you should be ok. I'm one that loves to ride as fast as the bike and the road let me with a loose flat track style. But even I have recognized degraded reaction times and have adjusted for it. And with recent events in my life I probably going to tone it down another notch. Cause some day I plan to ride your precious " Dragon " with you guys !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 10/27/18 at 21:02:33

For me, the pain was simply getting too much, enough that it over-rode the pleasure of riding.   But yes, not being physically able to handle a day long ride was matched by a realization that riding at full pace was simply getting too much for me to keep track of.  

The attention failures were still small, but were present often enough to be giving me a fair warning of what was gonna eventually happen.   So, I gave it up before it killed me.

« Last Edit: 10/28/18 at 02:20:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #41 - 10/27/18 at 22:48:27

PUTT , PUTT , PUTT    is better than no PUTT , PUTT , PUTT !

Wink

Lancer , That Texas ride last May was REALLY GOOD  in my book !  Smiley

Fast enough to be fun , not , to Fast for Safety .

I might need to do it again next May !  Roll Eyes

Well , we did have one mis-hap , but that was a fluke more than a predictible thing .

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #42 - 10/28/18 at 15:42:50

I couldn't stand it no sugar , low sodium , no fried foods , no red meat , low fat this & that , no gmo , low cholesterol , high fiber ! So I snuck out to the garage ( wife was in the shower ) fired up the sportster and was gone.  A almost two hour cruise around town , don't think I broke 4000 rpm once
( might be a first for me ). Rode right by every fast food grease pit & donut shop in town. Wasn't even tempted to stop to eat. Just out for a ride and leave the stress behind. But had to stay in town cause once out of town in farm,orchard,cattle country that 4000 rpm thing would have been done with.
My wife said "I wondered how long not riding was gonna last" with a grin.
I feel renewed and happy to be alive. Blood pressure & heart rate & blood oxygen all perfect. Ride in tomorrow for blood work and turn in my $3900 ambulance bill to insurance while I'm there and run a few errands round town. Smiley

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #43 - 10/28/18 at 15:56:25

Wink Grin Cool Grin

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #44 - 10/29/18 at 19:28:50

Glad you are doing so well Ruttly. And thanks for sharnig.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:33:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › What a day !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.