Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch release cam chaos. (Read 87 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Clutch release cam chaos.
10/15/18 at 16:41:01

I've just been "Savaged", it's a term I've just invented it means that some imbecilic design flaw that can completely ruin your day.

The gf is away from home and suddenly she has no clutch. Has to get a friend to tow the bike to some local bike shop. I'm told that it's the clutch arm assembly and it's a 40 dollar part and needs to come from Japan. However I find out eventually that it was in fact the cam. There's not much I can do about it now.

They ended up charging her 40 bucks for the part which is a $10 part. Suzuki of course have none in stock. It snapped exactly where you'd expect it to at the high stress point, and looking at it I can see that it's sintered or something like that. It looks like it's been built to fail. How Suzuki can use a sintered part for something like this is beyond my ken. It's astounding.

The bike shop claimed to know all about the S40 and they say this is a regular occurrence. I translated that as 'yeah my mate saw one like this once'.

They also charged for an oil change. So they've had the frikken side cover off meaning you've got to take the muffler and all that off. So being 'experts' I'm going to ask them if they checked the cam chain tensioner while they were there. It was at 15mm last I checked a couple of months ago and I was hoping to make it to the next oil change to check it.

This is why you should work on your S40 yourself, most people don't work on their bikes and they'll fix a cam like this and not even look at the tensioner, which but for a glance can end up with a very expensive accident.

I must say that I'm surprised to have not heard about this yet after two years here because the cam chain tensioner comes up like clockwork.

Surely this $10 part is a must for a toolkit. Had we been on a interstate journey and this happened that would be it, it would cost a fortune, Would have to hole up in a hotel for two weeks waiting.

This actually happened to me on my previous BMW 650LS I was driving up from Sydney on a 1000km journey on a spanking new BM and it blew a rear main oil seal while I was overtaking a semi trailer with on coming traffic and suddenly my tach is spinning but nothings happening, just snuck back behind the semi before a head on, and found the rear tyre covered in oil.

It was the weekend when Australia won the America's Cup with Alan Bond's famous winged keel. I watched it on a sh!tty motel TV waiting for repair.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Re: Clutch release cam chaos.
Reply #1 - 10/15/18 at 16:57:36

I'm starting to think I should get one of these and keep it in my saddlebag.  Roll Eyes

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/15/18 at 17:01:05

When mine died, right there, it broke the chain guide too.
It's a good idea to replace the oring in the case. It's cheap and when it gives up, it's a hassle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/15/18 at 20:58:19

If these things are a weakness  they look like an easy job for a cnc mill to make out of better material.

Hiko   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 10/16/18 at 01:52:03

Hiko wrote on 10/15/18 at 20:58:19:
If these things are a weakness  they look like an easy job for a cnc mill to make out of better material.

Exactly.

@JoG, you mean the metal o ring? It's too late now it's done but I could always replace it when I put the new tensioner in.

Did I mention that we had to wait two weeks for the part to come from Japan. That's right not a single one of these $10 items in Australia. I rang up Suzuki today to purchase a spare for the toolkit, but guess what they have none in stock.

That's right they shipped one from Japan. ONE. frikken idiots.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/16/18 at 11:42:27

They must have robbed the assembly line for the part at the factory.
It probably runs just one batch per year of LS650's for a single 24 hr. period and then shut it down to change over to all the rest of the bikes.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 10/16/18 at 12:48:32

eau de sauvage wrote on 10/15/18 at 16:41:01:

I must say that I'm surprised to have not heard about this yet after two years here because the cam chain tensioner comes up like clockwork.

Not sure I'm reading this right, but there's a lot of posts about the clutch cam on here.  Mine was last month.  Angry

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/16/18 at 20:09:45

If it's together, you're done.
IF you get a leak at the actuator to case junction, it's the oring.
Getting in there is a hassle.
That leak I've seen twice.
Not bad enough to worry about.
Just a stain on the case.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/17/18 at 05:06:03

I joined this forum in 2012, and for a long time JOG was the only member I knew of that had broken a clutch release cam. Later on one or two would be reported each year - most folks never have a problem with it.

I have installed the stiffer EBC clutch springs this year, and I felt a bit nervous about the stronger springs - several members have used these springs and not broken the clutch cam.  

I do believe this part could be improved - but I don’t know why some break and most don’t.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 20:24:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch release cam chaos.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.