Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Tire age
10/13/18 at 14:43:29

My 2012 bike  4000 km  has Original IRC tires
I was surprised to see that they were made in 2006
The tires were already 6 years old when the bike was new Now they are 12 years old Time to change them?

Hiko   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Tire age
Reply #1 - 10/13/18 at 16:46:55

Yes.
Tires harden with age and lose their grip.
Very exciting way to find out.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 10/13/18 at 17:24:44

Tire rubber gets hard after 4-5 years and may even dry rot,Your living on the edge!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/13/18 at 23:42:53

Yes thanks for the confirmation  Shinko 230,s fitted now
Made in 2017  That should be better!
New front disc pads tomorrow almost worn right out in 4000kms

Hiko   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 10/14/18 at 00:20:29

If I were a gambler, I would bet substantial money that your Shinko's will feel far superior to any IRC's regardless of the age of the IRC's. Yes, that would be right about the pads.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/14/18 at 03:42:33

That is pretty amazing that Suzuki mounted 6 year old tires!  My original front tire on my Honda NT700 was dated 2008 and it was mounted on a 2010 bike.....I thought that was old - but it was not as old as your tires!

As Batman stated, 5 years is the limit for the recommended age for a motorcycle tire.  It does make some difference how the tire is stored, and makers claim the coating on the tires helps preserve them until mounted.  Once you mount the tire and start riding, the coating is gone and the tire can begin to age from Ozone and other atmospheric gases.  Very hot storage can also shorten the tire life (don't store them in a hot attic, car, storage shed or pole barn).

My Honda only had 900 miles on it when I bought it in 2016, and I rode on the 8 year old front tire and 6 year old rear tire - they looked good and rode fine.  The bike was stored in an insulated garage by the previous owner - and I never rode the bike in the rain.  The tires wore incredibly fast - especially when my wife and I rode the bike down in Georgia on a weekend when the weather was 90 degrees.  In 2 days of riding the back tire tread came off in a black powder that coated the rear wheel, license plate and swing arm.

As the rubber ages it becomes hard and does not provide as good of traction (especially when the roads are wet).   I typically wear a tire out in 3 years or less so age is not a problem - but I do adhere to the 5 year limit if it is a tire that I am going to be riding aggressively through curves.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/14/18 at 19:50:08

Well today I did some miles on my new Shinkos
A little gingerly as they are new and not worn in yet as recommended by just about everyone
The new rear tire is 140/90-15 instead of the stock 140/80-15 also as recommended on this forum.
 As has been mentioned above there is a considerable difference to the ride The tires are obviously softer as the ride is more comfortable and just feels better even though the rubber prickles are still there

Thanks for the advice from all Weather is warming up here in NZ and looking forward to some nice riding. Now for those new brake pads tomorrow!

Hiko   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 10/17/18 at 01:15:45

Hiko, check you VIN plate for the date of manufacture. If you brought "new" in 2012, the bike may have been made in 2010, or even earlier.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/17/18 at 04:53:02

Even when they are new - the IRC tires are not great. They get even worse with advancing age.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #9 - 10/19/18 at 18:10:28

jcstokes wrote on 10/17/18 at 01:15:45:
Hiko, check you VIN plate for the date of manufacture. If you brought "new" in 2012, the bike may have been made in 2010, or even earlier.

You are absolutely correct The bike was bought "new' in 2012 in Wellington It was built in December 2006
IT  racked up nearly all its 2800  KMs in the first 2 years from 2012 and then seldom used  for the next 2 or three years until I bought it  4 months ago.
The previous owner did say it had been stored for a long time but I did not realise how long! The bike is older than it seemed .  My bad for not checking before .Probably would not have turned me off though, its a good bike.
Even better now.

Hiko   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/01/18 at 06:36:38

I brought a garage kept, under 3,000 mile, 02 model home. I had better traction than the new stock tires on the 05 model. I rode the rear tire to exhaustion at 5,000 miles and put the front on a few thousand miles later.
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

As for the thread title
I prefer living in the tire age over, say, the ice age or wagon wheel age.
Cuz we get MOTORS!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/01/18 at 07:06:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/18 at 06:36:38:
I prefer living in the tire age over, say, the ice age or wagon wheel age.
Cuz we get MOTORS!

Since you brought this up.....for me as I was growing up in northeastern Ohio, the "tire age" occurred in the 50/60/70's.  Akron, Ohio was the rubber capital of the world with Goodyear, Goodrich, Uniroyal and Firestone all making tires in that city - I read that 2/3rd of all the tires sold in the US were made in Akron.  In 1978 Goodyear stopped making tires in Akron, in 1980 Firestone ceased production, in 1982 General ceased production, Uniroyal stopped making tires around 1988 I believe when it as bought by Michelin.

When I was growing up - it was the factories that employed most of the blue collar working men that were not farming.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/01/18 at 08:11:46

I'm guessing it would take a Hole Buncha Trojans to replace a tire plant.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/01/18 at 08:44:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/18 at 08:11:46:
I'm guessing it would take a Hole Buncha Trojans to replace a tire plant.

That and a congressman and you can get anything you want.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:18:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire age

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.