Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advertising/political ad comparisons (Read 49 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Advertising/political ad comparisons
10/05/18 at 07:15:14

People regularly bring up "The Media" and the associated advertising content located on the television-based commercial ads.

What I wonder about is why people are surprised that one channel, or one region will carry a higher quantity and frequency of ads directed towards one demographic or candidate.  I am unaware of any media outlet that calculates its ad content and makes sure it spreads equal content across its distribution sector.

For instance ad-implementation sectors don't make sure to have 50% dog food and 50% cat food commercials, or 50% infomercial and 50% public service announcement.  There are some selective controls but ad revenue takes priority since it pays the bills.  Selective ad management is typically based off of viewer demographics.

A number of research organizations track ad-content and release the information.  Looking through them shows there simply is no equal ad content distribution anywhere in the US.

This is an easy to read example:

http://mediaproject.wesleyan.edu/releases/100418/

My question is why is there an expectation that ad content be equal?

If there is no expectation that ad-content be equal then why is there an expectation that "Coverage" be equal?  

If ad-content drives revenue wouldn't coverage content as well?

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Re: Advertising/political ad comparisons
Reply #1 - 10/05/18 at 08:08:46

I speak for myself, always have always will.
Their are times I agree with someone, and times they may agree with me.
That, does Not mean that ether, ’speaks for, or represents’, the other.

Unlike a Troll, who has implied, several times, he/she speaks for, and represents, many others.

As to the term, Media.
When I say it. I am referring to a ’News Source’.
Whether it be Broadcast TV, Cable TV, Radio, Internet, of some from of the WWW.

Ray Charles can see the 80/20 split in the, Web Media.

I see, when I watch, the Broadcast TV, the local ’news’ station saying:
‘We will interpret the News for you so you don’t have to’
‘We will report all that is fit for you to hear’

One station doesn’t have to promote itself, for they get Government (TAX)  Money.
And they are nothing BUT, UL, Fairy Dust Sprinkling ’news’.
And one is, ‘Fluff’, Lots and Lots of, ‘Fluff’.

For me, a ‘commercial or ad’, for toothpaste, a car, new cell phone, etc.
Is not, the thing/s I refer to, when I say:  ‘Media’.
So to placate someone who will say, ‘Ads’ are also ‘media’, (which, in a sense is true).
I will from now on, say  ’News’.

As in: “The, ’News’, is 78 +/-% UL, and Trump Hating at all costs”.

Perhaps the, ‘Media’, (commercials), that sell something,
are realizing the 3 million, are not buyers, just takers.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/05/18 at 08:36:33

Do you have any sources regarding news percentages and content?

I ask because where I live it depends entirely on what channel you tune to, or what websites you visit.  There's a ton of Pro-Trump activity where I am.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 10/05/18 at 08:37:12

This might not address your question in a manner you hope for, but more a explanation of a major component as to how they reach decisions to produce and promote any endeavor.

Motivation = Money.....

Money buys power.

Power ensures the flowing in of money.

P.T. Barnum figured it out.
Caught your consciousness ( in the moment )
Emptied your pockets, while titillation held your attention.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/05/18 at 12:00:22

MnSpring wrote on 10/05/18 at 08:08:46:
I speak for myself, always have always will.
Their are times I agree with someone, and times they may agree with me.
That, does Not mean that ether, ’speaks for, or represents’, the other.

Unlike a Troll, who has implied, several times, he/she speaks for, and represents, many others.

As to the term, Media.
When I say it. I am referring to a ’News Source’.
Whether it be Broadcast TV, Cable TV, Radio, Internet, of some from of the WWW.

Ray Charles can see the 80/20 split in the, Web Media.

I see, when I watch, the Broadcast TV, the local ’news’ station saying:
‘We will interpret the News for you so you don’t have to’
‘We will report all that is fit for you to hear’

One station doesn’t have to promote itself, for they get Government (TAX)  Money.
And they are nothing BUT, UL, Fairy Dust Sprinkling ’news’.
And one is, ‘Fluff’, Lots and Lots of, ‘Fluff’.

For me, a ‘commercial or ad’, for toothpaste, a car, new cell phone, etc.
Is not, the thing/s I refer to, when I say:  ‘Media’.
So to placate someone who will say, ‘Ads’ are also ‘media’, (which, in a sense is true).
I will from now on, say  ’News’.

As in: “The, ’News’, is 78 +/-% UL, and Trump Hating at all costs”.

Perhaps the, ‘Media’, (commercials), that sell something,
are realizing the 3 million, are not buyers, just takers.

Grin - you try and sound intelligent, but at the end of the day, you're making up your statistics mn.

You're basically lying.

BTW, I finally get why you continue to call me a he/she.  That's your way of trying to tick me off.

Sorry, it didn't (and won't) work.

You see mn, a long time ago, I finished grade school.  Those types of insults don't bother me.

But please, keep using them.  It shows everyone exactly how well you fit in with jog, ray, m, mark, vers and all the other conservatives on here.

Good job - keep up the great work!

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/05/18 at 12:13:02

Eegore wrote on 10/05/18 at 07:15:14:

My question is why is there an expectation that ad content be equal?

I don't think that concern exists.  Maybe on here it does, but in the real world - selling air time or space is the only thing that matters.

If there is no expectation that ad-content be equal then why is there an expectation that "Coverage" be equal?  

Again, I think that's an expectation that only exists in a partisan view (on here) of the media.

If ad-content drives revenue wouldn't coverage content as well?

I think it's safe to assume that media makes money by selling ads, yes?  If those ads aren't on popular shows, the advertisers are losing money, correct?  Ad money keeps the media alive, agreed?

Continuing that premise, then it only makes sense to buy time on popular shows.  Well, whether or not the conservatives want to believe it, the fact is, the more popular shows could be considered left leaning.  This is simply because the country as a whole is more left leaning.

There is no way that an advertiser is going to not want to make money.  They can't and won't risk it.  Pop culture is just that - popular.  It just so happens that liberal ideas are more popular than conservative.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #6 - 10/05/18 at 12:16:04

Eegore wrote on 10/05/18 at 08:36:33:
 Do you have any sources regarding news percentages and content?  I ask because where I live it depends entirely on what channel you tune to, or what websites you visit.  There's a ton of Pro-Trump activity where I am.

Do you have any sources regarding news percentages and content?

What is that statement, so often said by a certain person, about ‘looking something up’ ?

The 80/20 was quoted on here by members,
where ’neutral’ web/news said it.
And their was a UL site that, basically was bragging about it.

I just don’t have the time, or the funds,  to go back through all the posts and find it.
(It’s going to stop raining out shortly, so will be going back outside)

As to searching on the Web.
The Liberal sights say no, the conservative sights say yes.
Their are more Liberal pages/places than Conservative pages/places.
Their are very conflicting statements of both.

In 1971, Edith Efron outlined the pervasive bias of liberalism in the news media in her book The News Twisters.

According to FiveThirtyEight, (Which has a slight Left Leaning),”… ideological clustering in top newsrooms led to groupthink. “As of 2013, only 7 percent of [journalists] identified as Republicans,” Nate Silver wrote in March, chiding the press for its political homogeneity. The same piece also specifies that two-thirds of all TV anchors lean left, and that 96 percent of media outlet political donations in 2016 went to Clinton…”

Another point,   Mitt Romney said he had, ‘… “binders full of women” that he was looking at appointing to key positions …”
The, ’news’, totally LIED about it.  The, ‘News, said:  “…he had admitted that he reduced women to objects…” The, ’News’, portrayed him as a, “… anti-woman extremist…”.  Yep the, ’news’, was a POS.  But the correction, could have been, Romney standing up and saying”: “That, ’NEWS’, IS  a Piece of Lying $hit”.

Was the start in 1969 when Vice President Spiro Agnew said: “…A small group of men, numbering perhaps no more than a dozen anchormen, commentators, and executive producers, settle upon the 20 minutes or so of film and commentary that’s to reach the public. … A small and unelected elite [are responsible for] a narrow and distorted picture of America….”

This is some of the best: “…“As of 2013, only 7 percent of [journalists] identified as Republicans,” Silver wrote in March, chiding the press for its political homogeneity. Just after the election, presidential strategist Steve Bannon savaged the press on the same point but with a heartier vocabulary. “The media bubble is the ultimate symbol of what’s wrong with this country,” Bannon said. “It’s just a circle of people talking to themselves who have no frcking idea what’s going on.”…”

And this: “…Clinton ran the table in urban America, while Trump ran it in the ruralities. And as you might suspect, Clinton dominated where internet publishing jobs abound. Nearly 90 percent of all internet publishing employees work in a county where Clinton won, and 75 percent of them work in a county that she won by more than 30 percentage points. When you add in the shrinking number of newspaper jobs, 72 percent of all internet publishing or newspaper employees work in a county that Clinton won. By this measure, of course, Clinton was the national media’s candidate….” “…People in big media cities aren’t just more liberal, they’re also richer: …”

From a,  VERY  UL,  site: “…A 2014 study of the “American journalist” found that 28% of US journalists claimed to be Democrats versus 7% who claimed to be Republican….”

This is old hat, but still very relevant: “…most media experts predicted a crushing victory for Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. … including but certainly not limited to the New York Times, FiveThirtyEight, and the Huffington Post,…”
“…Is it possible that a bias against Trump within the media was so influential, that it corrupted the minds of thousands of experts and let their own personal political vendettas affect their professional predictions?  The answer is undeniably yes….”

Then: “…It is now widely acknowledged that through various web platforms such as YouTube, Twitter and Facebook, a particular string of ideas or individuals are not especially welcome. …”

I like this: “…Not only is this a disgrace in regards to the interdiction of a specific opinion and the censorship of diversity of thought, but it is very clearly politically-motivated. As the famed writer Christopher Hitchens once said: "Every time you silence someone you make yourself a prisoner of your own action because you deny yourself the right to hear something.” …”

WOW: “…after Watergate and in the midst of the Reagan administration and liberals’ contempt for him, organizations like the Media Research Center began cataloguing the myriad examples of biased coverage, both large and small. And there was a lot to catalogue, from opinion pages heavily weighted in favor of liberals to reportage and analysis that looks a lot more like the opinion of the writers than unbiased coverage….”

So it’s stopped raining.
Ya want to search, look up web sights, Do as tt has often said.

Now tell me why, (when it’s the same story)
The CNN and FOX version, one would never know it was the same story.
Now dig, and DIG DEEP, to find out the truth.
Then see how many places repeat, which story, with which, ’Spin’.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #7 - 10/05/18 at 12:36:28

T And T Garage wrote on 10/05/18 at 12:00:22:
   why you continue to call me a he/she.  

So you clearly admit, you ARE, a TROLL. !

I did NOT say,  "the he/she called tt"

I said: 'Unlike a Troll, who has implied, several times, he/she speaks for, and represents, many others..."
So I said, a Troll, is a he/she.

And you said, I was talking about you.

As to the he/she part. I don't know what you are.

And as you just told another poster, (rather sternly), they don't know you.  Well I totally admit I don't know you. And I don't know if you tell the Truth, when you say you are male, because the rest of the things you say, are so unbelievable.

I don't say anyone else on here is, 'he/she', because by the way they say things, and what they say, I have made a decision as to their Gender.

You, just don't know your gender. So I will continue to say, he/she.

Bless Your Heart !

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/05/18 at 12:49:56

MnSpring wrote on 10/05/18 at 12:36:28:
T And T Garage wrote on 10/05/18 at 12:00:22:
   why you continue to call me a he/she.  

So you clearly admit, you ARE, a TROLL. !

I did NOT say,  "the he/she called tt"

I said: 'Unlike a Troll, who has implied, several times, he/she speaks for, and represents, many others..."
So I said, a Troll, is a he/she.

And you said, I was talking about you.

As to the he/she part. I don't know what you are.

And as you just told another poster, (rather sternly), they don't know you.  Well I totally admit I don't know you. And I don't know if you tell the Truth, when you say you are male, because the rest of the things you say, are so unbelievable.

I don't say anyone else on here is, 'he/she', because by the way they say things, and what they say, I have made a decision as to their Gender.

You, just don't know your gender. So I will continue to say, he/she.

Bless Your Heart !

Grade school stuff there mn.

Keep up the great work!

Like I said, I'm sure all your fellow conservatives just love your contributions.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/05/18 at 14:22:24

"Now tell me why, (when it’s the same story)
The CNN and FOX version, one would never know it was the same story."

I was wondering if you had some data or something similar regarding news story statistics, similar to the resource I provided that uses just numerical data and not opinions on said data.  I see that you are referring to mostly opinion pieces, which makes sense, but doesn't convey measurable numbers.

Nielson used to provide pretty accurate stuff but with all 8 million channels out there its not exactly content accurate anymore.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 18:05:42

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Advertising/political ad comparisons

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.