Send Topic Print
Dropped a bike today (Read 159 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dropped a bike today
08/23/18 at 19:09:11

Well, I finally did it, I dropped my Guzzi.  I was near the end of a long ride and was hot and tired with a leg muscle cramping up.  I thought to myself I should just go home but instead I decided to stop and top up the gas tank.  The station was crowded and I was trying to maneuver into an island that had a free pump and down she went.  Amazingly the only damage was the end of the clutch lever.  It had a cast in notch in it maybe so that it would break away the end without hurting the  attachment point.  The stub that was left was enough to operate the clutch.  The bike has Hepco Becker crash bars on it and they did the job of protecting all the rest of it.  I lifted it back upright by lifting on the low side grip and that worked fairly well and then I pushed it to the pump and filled it up with gas. Unfortunately, being embarrassed, hot, sweaty, and occupied with looking for damage I filled it up with regular gas, it needs hi test.  Other than that it was a great ride.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Dropped a bike today
Reply #1 - 08/23/18 at 19:37:02

Bummer......

Did you spill any beer?  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 08/23/18 at 20:59:40

engineer

glad your not "Skin't up" or anything . Smiley
which one of the Guzzi's have ya got ?   I'm guessing the V-7 ?    Huh

My local ridding bud dropped his "Beloved" 1100cc GoldWing at the end of my driveway last week.   He stopped on a slope and couldn't find the ground when he put his foot down --- over he went !   He did a "ROLL" that a 25 year old gym teach would have been proud of and then landed on his feet , then with out even slowing down started getting his "Beloved" Wing up-right  again !   It was quite a sight , I barely got there in time to help with the lifting.   He' 62 years young !  Cool  6'2"/ 230 lbs.   So that old Wing fits him just fine , about like my V-7 fits me.

They are powered about the same too.   But his floor-boards drag at half the angle either of my bikes do .   On the Super-Slab we both have the same top speed and acceleration rate and that was the first time I've seen his bike on the ground in five or more years .
Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 08/23/18 at 21:22:59

Stopped to get gas the other day, had to wait for a car up front to move out and there was a new girl at the pump (here in Jersey we have attendents, no self serve) anyway there was some confusion when I pulled up and with it all, forgot to put down kickstand. Thankfully the bike is light enough that when it started down I could hold and pull it up, anything heavier than the 320ish pounds would have been on it's side next to the pump. will be much more careful going forward.

IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #4 - 08/23/18 at 23:41:30

I took my Virago scrambler out of the shed and put it on the sidestand while going back to close the door when BAM metal hit the deck. Apparently, I didn't put the stand fully down, the bike rolled forward an inch and gravity did the rest. It does make one feel rather silly. And praying the no neighbour was looking out the window  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/24/18 at 04:07:48

Engineer:

Glad you didn't drop it at speed.

Tip overs can happen pretty easily - it just takes some slippery pavement or loose gravel underfoot, an uneven surface, or any number of goofs.  Motorcycles are definitely unstable when stopped.....there has to be a 3rd contact point to keep them upright.

And......the bigger they are the harder they fall!

This makes me cringe every time I watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a4Jtl_ehG8

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #6 - 08/24/18 at 05:32:16

Cool  Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 08/24/18 at 06:24:39

There are two types of motorcycle riders; those that have dropped their bikes, and those that are gonna. Welcome to the club.

« Last Edit: 08/24/18 at 09:11:23 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/24/18 at 08:20:59

Glad you are OK and that eh bike suffered only very minor damage. Yep, welcome to the club.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 08/24/18 at 09:09:20

faffi wrote on 08/23/18 at 23:41:30:
I took my Virago scrambler out of the shed

I'd really like to see a Virago scrambler...
Any pics?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/24/18 at 14:10:31

Reading all the dropped bike stories makes me feel better about the whole thing, at least I’m in good company.  I took the Guzzi out to the dealership today and a new Guzzi clutch lever is $68 and is special order.  They had a whole rack of Bike Master levers that look very close for $10 to $14 so I’m going to measure some of the dimensions and see if I am lucky enough for one of those to fit.  I checked out the new bikes and went around pushing them up off their sidestands to check their weight and center of gravity.  There isn’t a whole lot made that is suitable for older riders.  

MMRanch, I have a Nevada 750 ie.  It is the same bike as the V7, the rear rim is a little smaller but the tire is bigger so the diameter is the same as the newer V7s and the steering geometry and everything is the same.  Being older it doesn’t have ABS and it uses the older Heron style heads so probably a couple HPs less than yours but it runs well at highway speeds.  I made a taller seat for mine and lowered the pegs an inch which makes it roomier.  The Hagon shock guy made up a couple rear shocks for it and they improve the ride a little.  Glad to hear you can keep up the pace with a Gold Wing.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #11 - 08/24/18 at 15:12:30

You are not the only one.
In my misspent youth I had a Guzzi 850T I built up with a sp cases, convert crank and rods, 1000 cylinders, V7 sport cam.
I was playing café racer with this bike  over cooked a corner and stepped off it at 60 mph. Felt I thrown into a tumble dryer, I saw the oil pan of the bike.  I got up banged and bruised but learned to sloooow down.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 08/24/18 at 15:23:51

Dropped the S40 once, in a friends driveway. I had my backback on the pillion seat and must have caught my foot dismounting. The engine was running, and I forgot about the kill switch. I put a gash in my leg as the bik dragged me along, and broke the right rear indicator stalk. The drive had an adverse camber as well.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/24/18 at 15:54:28

Matchless G11 wrote on 08/24/18 at 15:12:30:
You are not the only one.
In my misspent youth I had a Guzzi 850T I built up with a sp cases, convert crank and rods, 1000 cylinders, V7 sport cam.
I was playing café racer with this bike  over cooked a corner and stepped off it at 60 mph. Felt I thrown into a tumble dryer, I saw the oil pan of the bike.  I got up banged and bruised but learned to sloooow down.  Roll Eyes

Read
Twist of the Wrist II.
and
Look up
How to not Suck at cornering.

http://www.ridinginthezone.com/how-not-to-suck-at-cornering/

Overcooking because you're pushing versus because you weren't paying attention?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #14 - 08/24/18 at 17:57:42

I had the book, Twist of the wrist (the first one).
I was looking to see if a cop was following me and lost my concentration.
This was on Md 77,  through the park, not far from camp #3
(camp David)  .
My younger wilder  days.

I like my slow old Puch 250 now.
And if I need highway there is my 1972 Guzzi Eldo.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:28:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dropped a bike today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.