Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A dive into the conservative movement (Read 33 times)
NHLycan

Nice forum!

New Hampshire
A dive into the conservative movement
08/16/18 at 13:44:40

I started reading the National Review and The Federalist. These are the supposed intellectual leading lights of the conservative movement? I figured I owed it to myself to give them a chance.

I gave them 4 months and that time was not well spent.

If these are the smart conservatives, no wonder the movement is a disgrace. The body of work I observed may have occasionally had a counterintuitive take, but Lord, it was like long form versions of the Facebook comments in an AP article. Jesus. Just no.

Is it impossible for an article to be written without red meat being tossed to the already angry? You’d be inclined to think so after reading this drivel. The constant whingeing about how unfairly they feel themselves treated (often as white Christian men) is just icing on the cake.

An aspect that really stood out was the level of vitriol felt towards women. The denigrating terms employed are right out of the spousal abusers handbook. No woman progressive or centrist is ever wrong. Instead, they are unhinged, crazy, hysterical or batty. The misogyny exhibited, in this age, is almost unbelievable.  

The dog whistles surrounding immigration weren’t as common as one might think. When present it seemed more like a bit of self-conscious covering for the POTUS’s worst impulses and messages, rather than sincerely held fear of a browning America.

On the subject of kneeling black athletes, it would be difficult to overstate the anger. You’d think these players were joining ISIS rather than trying to start a conversation.

The biggest surprises were the inversions exhibited.

·         The abandonment of honor and probity by conservatives has been made into so much sport already but it bears summarizing; the leader of the conservative wing of US politics is an intellectually deficient man of very poor character.  And they like that.

·         I’m old enough to remember when conservatives were in support of balanced budgets. No more. Now it’s just camouflaged endorsements of tax cuts. The giant hole in the budget is a non-issue.

·         The total disregard for the threat of Russia is probably the most shocking change. It used to be wooly headed leftists on college campuses in their fatigue jackets talking about modelling the USSR. The conservatives were all about drawing lines in the sand with hostile powers. Now, just try finding a conservative to say a cautionary word about the threat of Russia.

·         Respect for law and order have been jettisoned. Conservatives seem to think it positively patriotic to threaten officers of the law.  The FBI/CIA/NSA are held to be hotbeds of sedition.

·         The dangers of federal preemption were once the boogeymen of the right. “States rights” was on the tongues of all the thought leaders. “Let a thousand flowers bloom” they’d say. I suspect the war on drugs put paid to that. Now it’s all top down.

The people writing in these magazines are either not very smart or they’re making that assumption about their audience.  I tried to appreciate it, but this commentary is moribund.

New Hampshire. 2003 SL650. 13k miles. Raptor installed. Versy adjuster. Rotella 6 w/zinc. Idle mix plug out. Seat front up 1". Owned since July 2013. Mechanically inclined. Better cook than mechanic.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: A dive into the conservative movement
Reply #1 - 08/16/18 at 14:07:27

Whoa....

Thanks for taking one for the team NHLycan.
You have my sympathy.

I actually attempted something similar a few months back, but was unsuccessful - I was truly aghast of what was presented and in disbelief that anyone in their right mind would believe what was posted.

As I've stated here before - I have no problem with a republican/conservative point of view.  We need that balance in our system.   However, in the last 12 years or so, the true republican mindset has gone off the rails.  IMHO

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 08/16/18 at 15:18:52

T And T Garage wrote on 08/16/18 at 14:07:27:
"...  However, in the last 12 years or so, the true republican mindset has gone off the rails.  IMHO

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals,  who believe that just, ‘plugging in’, a elect car solves all Pollution ?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, that believe, just because they can’t see the battery on their hybrid car, that means it just magically appeared and is totally pollution free, in it’s making, and recycling ?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who love their plastic bags and plastic water bottles, and plastic diapers, because they just, ‘disappear’, when they toss them in the trash can ?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, when they make a Law, that Males can go into little girls bathrooms, by just saying a couple of words ?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who are to LAZY to read, and have, (and continue to), throw C.F.L. light bulbs in the landfill, raising the Mercury levels in all things that use this earth ?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, that believe just because they are riding a bicycle, (and of course Not polluting) their are no, ‘Rules of the Road’, that apply to them ?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, that Protest in the street, by leaving a huge mess, that someone else has to clean up ?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who believe a, white skinned person, saying, ‘fit to only serve coffee’, about a black skinned person, is NOT  racist ?
(Wait, that's, ONLY, if it is a, 'certain', person saying that)

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who believe, Banning a firearm from a Good person, will prevent a bad person from having one ?
Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who believe putting up a, sign, will stop all violence ?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals,  (You get the idea)

(Sonny & Cher here)
The list goes on, the list goes on
Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/16/18 at 15:25:19

A lot of anger there...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/16/18 at 15:29:47

MnSpring wrote on 08/16/18 at 15:18:52:
T And T Garage wrote on 08/16/18 at 14:07:27:
"...  However, in the last 12 years or so, the true republican mindset has gone off the rails.  IMHO

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals,  who believe that just, ‘plugging in’, a elect car solves all Pollution ?

No.  That's not the case.

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, that believe, just because they can’t see the battery on their hybrid car, that means it just magically appeared and is totally pollution free, in it’s making, and recycling ?

So I see you're stuck on the whole, electric car thing... ok.

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who love their plastic bags and plastic water bottles, and plastic diapers, because they just, ‘disappear’, when they toss them in the trash can ?

Only liberals do that?  I wonder, do you really believe what you post?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, when they make a Law, that Males can go into little girls bathrooms, by just saying a couple of words ?

That's not the intent of the law and you should know better.

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who are to LAZY to read, and have, (and continue to), throw C.F.L. light bulbs in the landfill, raising the Mercury levels in all things that use this earth ?

Again, you think only liberals are guilty of that?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, that believe just because they are riding a bicycle, (and of course Not polluting) their are no, ‘Rules of the Road’, that apply to them ?

Again, why do you think that only liberals do that?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, that Protest in the street, by leaving a huge mess, that someone else has to clean up ?

Once again, why is it only liberals?

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who believe a, white skinned person, saying, ‘fit to only serve coffee’, about a black skinned person, is NOT  racist ?
(Wait, that's, ONLY, if it is a, 'certain', person saying that)
Well, most people, regardless of their skin color can understand the context of a conversation.  That's the difference.

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who believe, Banning a firearm from a Good person, will prevent a bad person from having one ?

Common sense gun reform would not do that.

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals, who believe putting up a, sign, will stop all violence ?

That's not the intent of the signs.  You and Eegore went round and round on that.  He was right.  You were confused apparently.

Would that be just like the ultra-Liberals,  (You get the idea)

Yeah, you hate liberals - I think we all get it.

(Sonny & Cher here)
The list goes on, the list goes on
Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da

Well, technically it's "The Beat Goes On" , but whatever.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/16/18 at 15:30:27

I still go through those about once a week.  I have similar feelings and I feel that a lot of what's in those publications appeal to peoples nature to exaggerate fact so that it fits closer to feelings.

A very fast read but worthwhile is a book called "The Things They Carried" that is a story written by a soldier in Vietnam and what he experienced there.  He tells the story, then goes back and informs you of the parts he exaggerated to help portray the feeling of an event as that was more important to understanding what he went through emotionally than the actual facts of what happened.  I respect that he goes back and tells the truth and I see the importance of why he told it the way he did.

Another thing is that people just want to corral others into extremes, such as saying that anyone that recycles cans thinks that picking up a few cans will end pollution, or that everyone that is a Trump supporter is a racist.  

Typically we know these extremes aren't true, but they get more normalized the more we say them.

NOTE:  This post was not typed by the logged in poster "Eegore", it was transcribed verbatim then reviewed via audio playback for accuracy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:47:00

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › A dive into the conservative movement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.