Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve cover replacement (Read 118 times)
Manco12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve cover replacement
07/26/18 at 13:20:24

I have some questions about putting the valve cover back on.

1. I didnt set it to tdc before removing, does this matter?
2. Why does it actually have to be set to tdc on the conpression stroke before replacing it, out if curiosity.

3. I uploaded 2 pictures showing the cam lobes.  Can tdc of the compression stroke be verified this way, and if so which picture is the right one?  And is lining up the tdc mark accurate enough? (And using the lobes to determine compression or exhaust)

screenshot_2018-07-26-16-27-35.png
  IP Logged
Manco12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Valve cover replacement
Reply #1 - 07/26/18 at 13:32:04

Okay sorry had to resize the pictures.  But if You click on the image it shows both, I'm curious if the top picture or bottom picture is the compression stroke. Thank you

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/26/18 at 13:33:00

1. no.
2. setting it to tdc just makes it easier to install, then adjust the valves.
3. the alignment pin on the cam/gear interface will be at 1 o'clock, rotate till it is.
3. cont. yes, if you're re-installing a used cam chain, the horizontal cam mark will be slightly raised due to chain stretch.

WWW   IP Logged
Manco12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/26/18 at 13:44:13

All I'm doing is putting the valve cover back on after installing the head plug.

"2. setting it to tdc just makes it easier to install, then adjust the valves."

The valve cover easier to install?  Right now im just worried about getting this bike in one piece.  So im focused on putting the valve cover on, dont need to adjust the valves right now unless youre supposed to after reinstalling the valve cover?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/26/18 at 14:02:28

yes, with the engine at tdc, you won't have to fight the valve springs to get it on.
yes, you must adjust the valves afterward because you may have more or less rtv between the cover and head.

WWW   IP Logged
Manco12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/26/18 at 14:37:27

Ahh thank you.  So I guess another way to verify compression stroke tdc would be the cam lobes facing down and the valve cover sits flush.  As the valve cover doesn't sit flush on the other tdc because the valve springs.

I'm just trting to make sense of all this in my head, ive always been scared to touch engines because it all confuses me to death.  I'm not good at thinking about things that I cant see with my own eyes

IP Logged
Manco12
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/26/18 at 15:03:05

I guess my next concern is.. I can get the valve cover offand on with the engine in place.. But how the neck am I gunba do this with the ebgine in the bike without smearing any of the sealant?  Seems like its bound to happen

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 07/26/18 at 17:39:12

The first time I had mine off I could see it was going to be a struggle to get it back in place without screwing up the sealant.  So I did three or four dry runs articulating the cover around to make sure I had an install routine that would get the cover in place without messing up the sealant.  At first, it was like a puzzle, but eventually I found all the right angles and dangles to get the cover in place without touching the sealing surface and messing things up.

Make sure you apply the sealant in an extremely thin coat and keep it well away from the cam bearings.  If you squeeze out sealant into the cam bearing chamfers you run the risk of preventing proper oil flow through the top end.  That will spell death to your cam, rocker arms and possibly the entire engine.  Also stay clear of the oil feed hole identified by a teardrop shaped cavity with an o-ring.  Don't slop sealant all over that or you will have the same problem (i.e. no oil to top end).

Awhile back I did a post on a sealant applicator.  That thread had a ton of good comments on how to apply the sealant.  I am attaching a picture of the applicator and will look back through and find the post on sealant.

IMG_02431_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 07/26/18 at 17:49:30

The post on "sealant applicator" is dated 5/5/18.

suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1525551307

Hopefully this link will get you there.  If not, just go back a few pages and you should be able to find it pretty easy.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 07/26/18 at 18:34:52

You should install the long bolt in the head cover before placing it on the motor as the frame will not allow room to get it in later.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/27/18 at 08:07:22

Yep.....as Batman says there is one bolt in the center that will be under the main frame tube - that you can't get in/out after the head is in place.

I put a piece of tape on the bolt to keep it from dropping down too far while I am installing the head cover - then pull the tape off once the head cover is in place.  Practice doing this a few times before you put the sealer on - it helps you to get coordinated.

Don't over tighten the head cover screws - they strip easily as there is a narrow range between tight......and too tight!   The last head I did I followed a suggestion by Verslagen and first snugged them all up a bit, then went around and torqued them all down.  Then 10 minutes later I checked/torqued them all again....the again at 20 minutes.  This helps to account for the movement/compression of the sealer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 07/28/18 at 14:20:13

If like me you don't have a torque wrench ,then just tighten them by hand (until you feel the bolts stop) and give them just 1/8 of a turn more. If they weep after running the motor you can give them another 1/8 turn,it is far better to have them leak, than to over tighten and snap them off in the motor which becomes a major problem.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #12 - 07/28/18 at 16:52:49

Manco12 wrote on 07/26/18 at 14:37:27:
...I'm not good at thinking about things that I cant see with my own eyes

You can put a plastic straw down the spark plug hole and then you can see with your own eyes when the piston is at top dead centre. Then it's simply a matter of knowing if it's on the  compression stroke or the exhaust stroke which you can easily work out because the exhaust valves will be closed on the way to the TDC compression stroke.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:32:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve cover replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.