Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What could cause a blown fuse? (Read 61 times)
cl492
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What could cause a blown fuse?
07/15/18 at 17:12:36

When riding one morning, I noticed steam coming out of the engine so I turned it off - then was immediately unable to turn it back on again. Lights wouldn't come on either.

We checked the battery (load tested fine) and rectifier (tested consistent) and finally figured out it was a blown 20 amp fuse. After replacing it, the lights work and the bike turns on.

But now I'm worried about what actually cause the fuse to blow and that it might happen again.

I left it out in the rain the night before and figured the steaming engine was just water burning off. Maybe the water got in elsewhere, like the battery tender connector, and shorted it?

Anyone have any insight?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: What could cause a blown fuse?
Reply #1 - 07/15/18 at 18:38:25

If your sure it's steam (doesn't smell like something is burning) maybe you shouldn't have turned it off ,the water was evaporating and being carried away by the air passing over the motor ,UNTIL you stopped.It could be the leads for the battery tender (they should have a tight fitting cap on the end when not in use)  ,but any positive wire touching the frame or motor could blow a fuse.(is the wiring stock ? or have you made changes?)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 07/15/18 at 20:57:33

Just carry some spare fuses and don't leave you bike out in the rain , get a cover !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
cl492
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/16/18 at 05:37:36

batman wrote on 07/15/18 at 18:38:25:
If your sure it's steam (doesn't smell like something is burning) maybe you shouldn't have turned it off ,the water was evaporating and being carried away by the air passing over the motor ,UNTIL you stopped.It could be the leads for the battery tender (they should have a tight fitting cap on the end when not in use)  ,but any positive wire touching the frame or motor could blow a fuse.(is the wiring stock ? or have you made changes?)

I am sure now that it's steam since it was totally white and didn't smell. But yeah, at the time I just freaked out and turned it off. The wiring is stock. I just bought myself a cap for the tender connector and I'll check to see if anything is touching between the battery and frame.

Ruttly wrote on 07/15/18 at 20:57:33:
Just carry some spare fuses and don't leave you bike out in the rain , get a cover !

Yeah I usually try not to, this time was sudden  Embarrassed

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/16/18 at 15:28:36

CL492 ,I'd be looking closely at the wires you added for the battery tender, they may have gotten pinched, depending on how you ran them, and they are the only non stock part of your wiring.
   Parking the bike outside in the rain shouldn't cause a problem for the stock harness, If you get caught in the rain would you park the bike and cover it and walk home? I would carry some extra fuses , but I wouldn't worry about a cover, in fact I'd leave it in the rain or hose the bike down ,just to see if this wasn't a one time fluke.(bad fuse?)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 12:03:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What could cause a blown fuse?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.