Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tyre pushed in, off the rim? (Read 86 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Tyre pushed in, off the rim?
07/07/18 at 14:38:53

Hi guys, I'm looking for some adice/tips about a problem with my rear tyre.

During s recent riding lesson, the bike got away from my daughter and hit the curb. The rear drive pulley got busted (see pic 1). I have a replacement pulley on the way this week thanks to a forum member here.

A friend suggested I should also inspect the belt. I did that yesterday, and it seems fine. Then I thought I better also inspect the rims. And I found that the rear tyre seems to have been pushed inward, off the rim! I'm pretty sure the rim is ok, and there is a definite distortion in the shape of the tyre at that spot (see pic two, top-left).

If I need to, I'll take it to the local tyre guy once the wheel is off, but it would be good to sort it out myself if possible.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any advice or warnings?

IMG_20180708_072130.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Re: Tyre pushed in, off the rim?
Reply #1 - 07/07/18 at 14:39:43

Pic 2

IMG_20180708_072224.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #2 - 07/07/18 at 15:24:19

Either your rim is dented, or the hit was hard enough to force the tyre off the bead of the rim. Could happen, especially if tyre pressure was a bit low. In order to reseat, you have to remove all air from the tube, get soapy water well inside between the rim and tyre, then reinflate until the tyre pops in place. I would not go past 50 PSI - if the tyre isn't seated by then, you need to start over.

In order to check the rim, first check spoke tension by tapping them with a screwdriver or similar - they should all sound similar. Then find a spot where you can hold a felt pen steady near the rim as you turn the wheel. The line - often broken - will tell you where the high and low spots are. 2mm up/down and 2 mm in/out is the maximum limit, but you want less than 1 mm.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #3 - 07/07/18 at 15:27:39

Thanks faffi,

I figured it would be something like that but wasn't sure where to start. Thanks for the tips. I'll have a go once the wheel is off.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 07/09/18 at 04:45:11

faffi, it worked, just as you said. thank you.

IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #5 - 07/09/18 at 12:47:00

Cool, thanks for the update Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 00:41:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tyre pushed in, off the rim?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.