Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Studs versus Bolts - Exhaust Header (Read 69 times)
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Studs versus Bolts - Exhaust Header
07/02/18 at 20:43:56

I recently had to remove my header along with the muffler to do the cam tensioner check. While removing the header bolts, one broke on me. Got it removed fairly easy, not too much cussing. Had to chase the threads with a die once the bolt was out. Seems the PO didn’t know what anti-seize is. The bolt that broke was a stock header bolt and the one that did not was a 10.9 flange bolt. This got me thinking on the best thing to use during re-install, bolts versus studs. After searching on here I found several threads that suggest the use of studs over bolts. I like the idea of studs due to the difference in materials and would prefer to not have to deal with a broke off bolt. That said, I began to search for a stud option but can’t seem to find a compatible solution. I’ve looked at ARP kits, tried Fastenal and looked at options on McMaster-Carr. Found several ARPs that might work but nothing that will be tall enough to get past the exhaust clamp.

The most viable solution I have found seems to be to making the studs. The best candidate I have found is black oxide socket head screws from McMaster-Carr (see link below). They have the tensile strength common with header bolts/ studs (170,000). From this I could cut the head off where I need it to be then thread on nuts. I’d have to double nut them to snug them into the head.

Which leads to the next subject, what nuts to use for final attachment of the header pipe and clamp? Brass has been suggested in many places on the Interwebs but not for our specific application. Also the brass nuts are typically much taller than a ‘normal’ nut. I also can’t find these easily.

So ultimately my questions are, is it worth using studs? What is the best option for studs? What is the best material, considering brittleness, and the aluminum head material? I know the torque values are not extremely high for the stock bolts, so I may be over-engineering this.

My main concern is the periodic cam tensioner check and having to remove the header pipe. I may just feel burnt from the recent bolt breakage, so if flange bolts or stock bolts and anti-seize are the way to go, please say so. But if you have suggestions, pros/ cons for studs and most importantly sources for studs and nuts please help a member out  Smiley

Thanks.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#91290a215/=1djnzgi

2005 S40, Raptor mod, flipped risers, Biltwell grips.
Her name is Maila Nurmi but when I am done with her she will be Vampira.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Studs versus Bolts - Exhaust Header
Reply #1 - 07/03/18 at 02:54:47

The stock header bolts are chrome plated and durable.....if you use anti-sieze and don't overtighten them, I doubt you will ever have trouble again.

Black Oxide is not durable and will corrode very quickly - it works much better indoors.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/03/18 at 06:32:44

Why make this hard ? buy stock bolts and use some antiseize.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/03/18 at 07:55:02

If you're going to plant studs instead of using the bolts, do yourself a favor and at least get actual studs, not just bolts that you can put in place.

Dorman has a set of studs with a spacer in the middle that would work fine for this. I believe they're like 24mm on one side and 8mm on the other, or something similar.

They would be durable, even in an aluminum block.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/03/18 at 11:18:00

batman wrote on 07/03/18 at 06:32:44:
Why make this hard ? buy stock bolts and use some antiseize.

After all
It was a lack of Antisieze that caused the problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 07/03/18 at 12:55:05

A properly designed fastening system should always set up a condition where the fastener with external threads breaks in tension before the internal threads fail in shear.  The aluminum head has the internal thread component, and the stock bolt has the external thread component.  If Suzuki designed the system properly, there should be sufficient thread engagement to provide ample shear strength so that the bolt breaks when overtightened.  That way, the cheap part (bolt) fails before the expensive part (head).  I'm pretty sure they probably got it right.

I would use the "STOCK" bolts.  I would not upgrade to a stronger bolt or stud.  Problem here is the stock bolts have no markings so we have no way of knowing what material they are made from.  Are they grade 8.8?  Are they made from something stronger?  Are they made from something weaker?  Only da shadow knows.

Use the stock bolts.  Apply good quality never seize intended for high temperature applications.  Be very careful not to cross-thread during installation.  Tighten to the specified torque.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #6 - 07/03/18 at 14:07:40

Thanks to everyone for the responses. You all have reassured me that stock is the way to go with the proper anti-seize. I have Loctite Silver Anti-Seize Stick that states it is rated for 1600° and is rated for cylinder head and exhaust bolts.

2005 S40, Raptor mod, flipped risers, Biltwell grips.
Her name is Maila Nurmi but when I am done with her she will be Vampira.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:31:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Studs versus Bolts - Exhaust Header

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.