Send Topic Print
Muffler sleeve (Read 83 times)
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Muffler sleeve
06/27/18 at 20:47:52

Question about a simple thing, but not sure where to find it. I have a Dyna for my one bike and it has an internal sleeve it came with to fill the space between the OD diameter of the header and the muffler inlet ID. The sleeve is a thin wall tube, wall is .003 thick, ID is 1.67", OD is 1.73". Total length is 2 3/8". Figure it's some sort of standard thing, easily attainable if you know what it is. Does anyone know what it is?

I have seen reference to cutting a tin can and making a fill spacer but this is very clean and nice.

IMG_2757.JPG
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Muffler sleeve
Reply #1 - 06/27/18 at 20:55:55

It would have to be a really tight fit to act as a gasket, especially if it does not have a slot that can close when the clamp is tightened down.

Also there is the issue of Imperial Vs Metric. The muffler is the former, and the header is the latter.

Have you tried it for fit on your Savage?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 06/28/18 at 08:05:14

It is a tight fit, fills gap between The metric OD of header and the 1.75" ID  of muffler perfectly. Mr. Verslagen, I believe, has talked of using a snip of aluminum can to effectively do same.I figured this might be a Harley part or something along those lines. You can buy spacer sets from J&P, they are a little thicker. This thing fits the metric to standard adaptation perfectly.

The one shown is out of the Dyna I have, it came with the muffler when I bought it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/28/18 at 08:29:08

SoC wrote on 06/27/18 at 20:47:52:
The sleeve is a thin wall tube, wall is .003 thick, ID is 1.67", OD is 1.73". Total length is 2 3/8". Figure it's some sort of standard thing, easily attainable if you know what it is. Does anyone know what it is?

should be .030"?
.003 is foil, that's not foil.
That's just dimensional tubing.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/28/18 at 15:40:39

SoC wrote on 06/28/18 at 08:05:14:
It is a tight fit, fills gap between The metric OD of header and the 1.75" ID  of muffler perfectly. Mr. Verslagen, I believe, has talked of using a snip of aluminum can to effectively do same.I figured this might be a Harley part or something along those lines. You can buy spacer sets from J&P, they are a little thicker. This thing fits the metric to standard adaptation perfectly.

The one shown is out of the Dyna I have, it came with the muffler when I bought it.

When using a home made gasket from a tin can, it's cut at an angle so it cinches down when tightening the clamp.  I don't see how you could be sure of no air leak using that sleeve, even if it's a tight fit.  Air is pretty small.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 06/28/18 at 15:50:51

I used the tin can method. It's a tin with large 'ripples' running around it. The ripples crush down to form the seal. And as Tocsik said,  if you cut it with a little gap, it closes over when clamped. For this method you also need to cut six-eight slots in the end of the muffler so it can pull in when clamped down. It took me a couple of attempts, but it worked great ... no cement, or high-temp silicon. BTW, the OEM HD muffler clamp is your friend for this method ☺

Lancer had mentioned he cuts a drink can into a strip and wraps it around the end of the header until it gets tight enough to tap the muffler on with a mallet. I assume the little overlap at the end of the strip gets crushed over.

It's unusual to find a sleeve with metric a ID and Imperial OD. I wonder if it's a custom product.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 06/28/18 at 19:33:00

Problems could arise with the use of that sleeve, the smooth surfaces might allow leaks . the tin can (using the rippled section) allows 4-5 sealing surfaces as its crushed ,and seals even if the parts aren't perfectly  aligned . Use the HD clamp it's wide and strong.(my tin can mount as been leak free , without sealant for four years ,14,000miles so far.)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 06/28/18 at 21:04:12

Thanks, my bad on the decimal place, it's about a 1/32" thick. I guess the tin can method will be the choice. With sleeve it is a very tight fit, it requires you put it part way on header and seat the muffler by twisting back and forth while pushing it on. Once it's together and has some hot exhaust flowing through it, it seems to seal fairly well.

Since can method works and is simple, it's the way to go.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 06/28/18 at 22:24:28

SoC wrote on 06/28/18 at 21:04:12:
Thanks, my bad on the decimal place, it's about a 1/32" thick. I guess the tin can method will be the choice. With sleeve it is a very tight fit, it requires you put it part way on header and seat the muffler by twisting back and forth while pushing it on. Once it's together and has some hot exhaust flowing through it, it seems to seal fairly well.

Since can method works and is simple, it's the way to go.

There are different tin cans. Some have a small ripple profile (like a can of peas), some have large ripples (I used a large dog food can) - I don't even have a dog - One can of dog food to seal the HD Muffler = cheap investment  Cool

We getting technical here  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/29/18 at 07:22:49

Tocsik wrote on 06/28/18 at 15:40:39:
Air is pretty small.

Yes it is... yes indeedy...  Grin

Although,.. I have heard of some guys catching big air...
That stuff must be easy to block... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 15:50:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler sleeve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.