Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Build Thread bobber timeline (Read 125 times)
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Build Thread bobber timeline
06/26/18 at 10:11:49

I wanted to start a thread of my build. Its not much but Ill continue to update it. I want feedback and opinions from the community but ultimately it is MY bike so ill just build it how I see fit. I wish I had taken more pictures during my progress but it is what it is now.

So I bought this savage off of a guy who didnt ride. He laid the bike down and didnt want it any more.

I bought it without knowing if it ran or if it even started. But the price was right and I was looking for a project to keep my mind busy. Heres a pic of when I just got it. I brought it home, changed the fluids and jump started it. It ran!

IMG_5919.jpg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Build Thread bobber timeline
Reply #1 - 06/26/18 at 10:15:20

Immediately I began stripping it down. The gas tank had a dent and everything was put together so sloppily. The wiring was a mess. But it was a good start.

IMG_4800.jpg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/26/18 at 10:21:38

I started sourcing parts and digging for ideas. I had a fresh slate and I wanted to get it right the first time. I drew the idea I had in my head on paper and started working towards my goal. The seat that came with the back was made out of the original(I think) but it looked way too bulky and was not my style.

This is the start of my seat pan. I work in a metal shop and just quickly cut this out and bent it up. The seat pan I have now is temporary. I have a look in mind for the seat that has never been done before that I know of so thats still in progress. for now im just riding my pan!

unnamed_002.jpg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/26/18 at 10:28:03

I started messing with the idea of removing the battery and hiding it. Ive seen a lot of guys do this but I didnt know how to go about it. Eventually what I did was remove the evap canister, battery, battery covers and all of that. I built a battery box at work and fabbed up this little cover piece. This was just a mockup of how I wanted it to go.

unnamed_004.jpg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/26/18 at 10:31:22

I stuck with this look. I was going for a minimalistic approach. Get rid of everything I dont need and improve on what I have. This picture shows some of the progress with the wiring, the new fender, the bracket mock up, and an idea coming to life.

IMG_4971.jpg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/26/18 at 10:38:16

The color I chose for the tank and fenders is a BMW silver gray metallic. I forget the color code but if anyone needs it I can probably find it. I think it came out great. Especially in the sun i like how it changes from silver to gray.

unnamed_005.jpg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/26/18 at 10:54:05

I got some brown grips because eventually ill have a brown toolbag on the forks and my seat will be brown leather as well. It should all match nicely, when its done.  I have one problem with the drag bars on the bike. when I turn all the way left or right the brake mounts hit my tank. I need some kind of stopper to limit my turning. I may just flip the risers to face forward I think that will give me enough clearance.

Im not happy with the seat mounts so Ill redo all of those. But I got the battery in and exhaust on. I was nervouse to start the bike after redoing a lot of the wiring. Whoever did it before me was no electrician lets just say that. In this picture the battery is in and battery tray and cover bracket are both painted with a wrinkle coat. Its like a spray in bed liner almost so it should be tough.

IMG_5914.jpg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/26/18 at 11:01:27

You might have noticed the tire paint. I love the look it gives the bike. It adds flare and gives it that race look. Heres where Im at today!

Im planning on adding a support to the battery bracket, just for peace of mind. I was thinking of putting a 90 degree bend on the air filter and pointing it down.

I still havent figured out what to do with the bars but im going to flip the risers today( hopefully theyll fit backwards?)

The exhaust is pretty close to the battery. Although I have a cover on the battery it doesnt go all the way up. Im either going to redo the battery box or add a heat shield.

The ups driver keeps misplacing my %()#%& packages Ive had to re order my tool bag 3 times. IVe spent hours on the phone with them.

I ordered a seat to put on temporarily so I can start making my seat pan into what I want. Hopefully the driver doesnt misplace that! Angry

IMG_5923.jpg
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/26/18 at 13:29:26

So far, so good Maxmamo!  Keep on with the updates - I'm intrigued by your seat "tease" - can't wait to see it!

Smiley

IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/26/18 at 13:33:17

Thanks T and T!

Getting this bad girl registered today lol

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/26/18 at 13:37:25

NICE!!

IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/27/18 at 00:16:35

Flipped the risers, that fixed my clearance issue. Also the delivery guy dropped off my leather bag today! Got it installed. Registered the bike and got the plate on. I’m considering a center mounted license plate bracket, I feel like that will make the rear end a bit more symmetrical.

Big day today for me and I’m worn out. Working on the bike a bit was therapy.

6DE72A89-194C-4086-9009-5450097CCF46.jpeg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/27/18 at 00:18:38

Not sure how I feel about the bag in this location yet but I gotta keep the registration and some spare tools somewhere

6048F3A6-D20A-4264-AE62-6CB45F78CC87.jpeg
  IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/28/18 at 07:37:56

I had an issue with the speedometer not working which was strange since it worked before. Turns out the paint shop ruined my speedometer cable. Ordered a new one hopefully itll solve that problem.

IP Logged
maxmamo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/29/18 at 12:22:40

Im looking to replace the big bulky clutch master and brake for something more lowkey and small. If anyone knows of anything like this please drop a link.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 18:13:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Build Thread bobber timeline

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.