Send Topic Print
My $40 Savage (Read 291 times)
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My $40 Savage
06/16/18 at 19:32:24

Whaddup guys and Gals! I just wanted to share my latest project I saved from the scrap heap. A friend of my friend did some property cleanup and received this bike as partial payment. So, he decided to scrap it (reason in the next reply, since it appears that I can only post one pic at a time).

So here's a pic from the day I went to pic her up.

As you can see, there are jumper wires leading to the battery terminals. This is important because they tried to crank the bike, which it would not crank, which is why it was destined for the scrap pile.

Day_I_Bought_2.jpg
  IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: My $40 Savage
Reply #1 - 06/16/18 at 19:35:36

This being the reason why it was going to the scrap heap. Someone somewhere at some time, pulled the starter idler gear out. So when the bike cranked, only the starter spun. The guy I got it from ran jumper wires, and when the bike didn't crank, he decided to scrap it!

Missing_starter_gear.jpg
  IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/16/18 at 19:43:10

Ordered the gear. It was on back order, with no arrival date in the near future. But the shop called me yesterday that it came in, so today I went and picked it up. The bike now cranks with the button pushed and clutch pulled.

There is still TONS to do. Carb rebuild, forks need resealed, plus lots of little things. But now that it cranks like it is supposed to, I'm comfortable putting money into it. Next paycheck, I'm getting the carb rebuild kit, and side cover (starter side) gasket. Then oil change, and see if she pops.....

Stay tuned kids!

And if anyone has any advice, or suggestions, please let me know. Don't be shy!

Replacement_Starter_Gear.jpg
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/17/18 at 04:07:33

Way to go !
They are rarely really dead.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/17/18 at 04:11:02

There should be a flat washer on both sides of the torque limiting starter gear.  The washers prevent the splined shaft from digging into the aluminum case and cover.

You photo doesn't show a washer on the outside of the gear......do you put one on after you took the picture?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/17/18 at 10:05:03

Dave wrote on 06/17/18 at 04:11:02:
There should be a flat washer on both sides of the torque limiting starter gear.  The washers prevent the splined shaft from digging into the aluminum case and cover.

You photo doesn't show a washer on the outside of the gear......do you put one on after you took the picture?

Good catch! No I did not install a flat washer, as I was unaware that one was required. I purchased a Clymer manual from the local motorcycle shop, and it shows the manual is for 86-88 or there abouts. It did not specify a washer. But I was reading through Sad Savage's thread and downloaded the Clymer through the link provided there which goes up to 2004. I have not had a chance to read through it yet though.

Fortunately, the side cover is not fully installed yet. Just on there to make sure that the motor cranks. I still have to order the gasket before I can permanently install it.

Again, THANK YOU for catching that!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 06/17/18 at 17:28:00

I wouldn't be turning the bike over without adding some oil/fogging oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole ,you could cause damage to the rings and cylinder walls ,as they have no lubrication until the bike actually runs. If the wires I see in the first pic is what they used to try and jump the bike, it wouldn't have turned over anyway ,they're much to small to carry enough power to turn the starter under load. No washers should be installed on either side of the gear your replacing ,that would jam the gear train when you put the side cover back on. It may be good to use a volt/ohm meter and check the stater( it's in the Clymer's) before replacing the sidecover.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
josesito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/19/18 at 14:03:39

Have you considered going to a friend of yours or trusted motorcycle mechanic to help you out? I know fixing a bike can seem exciting but you might consider asking someone for advice first as motorcycles are composed by many parts that work at pair. Just my two cents here.

Also buy the clymer manual so you can see if you are missing any other parts.

IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/19/18 at 19:33:36

batman wrote on 06/17/18 at 17:28:00:
I wouldn't be turning the bike over without adding some oil/fogging oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole ,you could cause damage to the rings and cylinder walls ,as they have no lubrication until the bike actually runs. If the wires I see in the first pic is what they used to try and jump the bike, it wouldn't have turned over anyway ,they're much to small to carry enough power to turn the starter under load. No washers should be installed on either side of the gear your replacing ,that would jam the gear train when you put the side cover back on. It may be good to use a volt/ohm meter and check the stater( it's in the Clymer's) before replacing the sidecover.

Sorry for the late response. Work keeps me busy haha

Good call on fogging the piston/cylinder with oil. I did that the day I purchased it, knowing I wouldn't be able to work on it again for a few days/week per my work schedule.

So, NO flat washer required? 10-4!

IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/19/18 at 19:37:17

josesito wrote on 06/19/18 at 14:03:39:
Have you considered going to a friend of yours or trusted motorcycle mechanic to help you out? I know fixing a bike can seem exciting but you might consider asking someone for advice first as motorcycles are composed by many parts that work at pair. Just my two cents here.

Also buy the clymer manual so you can see if you are missing any other parts.

New to Savages but not motorcycles. My last bike was a 1978 Yamaha XS 750 triple. I should have never gotten rid of that bike!

Clymer has been purchased last week, as well as downloaded through the link in Sad Savages thread.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/20/18 at 04:26:48

[quote author=636F69607B633A3A3E6A3F3E3E0E0 link=1529202769/0#8 date=1529462016]batman wrote on 06/17/18 at 17:28:00:

So, NO flat washer required? 10-4!

The rear idle gear that is closest to the starter motor does not get any washers.

The other idler gear that has the splined shaft and the torgue limiter requires a flat washer on both sides (inner/outer).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 06/20/18 at 06:53:05

So glad you knew about oiling the cylinder before trying to move the piston.  That one had me worried when you described that you were cranking it around with the starter already.
Good luck with the project!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/20/18 at 14:43:48

Tocsik wrote on 06/20/18 at 06:53:05:
So glad you knew about oiling the cylinder before trying to move the piston.  That one had me worried when you described that you were cranking it around with the starter already.
Good luck with the project!

Yeah, I've brought many engines back from the dead, that people have given up on. I usually oil em up and let them soak for a week minimum if I can. sometimes it is only a few days, but hey, it's something!

Thanks for the luck! Seems I'll need it on this one! haha

IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/20/18 at 14:50:38

I threw out my back at work yesterday, so not much progress on the Savage. Although I DID remember I had an ultrasonic cleaner I could drop the carb and parts in and hobble away and come back to after while...

So, on the chopping block today is the carb! I can't get a kit till Monday, so I thought I'd let her soak and clean over the next day or so. I will pull the parts out and dry, then do another run. I wont be leaving the parts in the cleaning solution, since the carb and parts are aluminum.

So here she is pre tear down!

0620181342.jpg
  IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/20/18 at 14:52:57

Got the bowl off.... Glad I'm going the ultrasonic route, and not just a can of GumOut!!

0620181345.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:17:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My $40 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.