Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bent Header Clamp - Common or Not? (Read 112 times)
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Bent Header Clamp - Common or Not?
06/14/18 at 19:13:50

So I removed my header pipe to get the clutch cover off. I’m in the middle of having my tensioner modded by Verslagen1. In the meantime, I have been addressing some other items. While doing so I noticed that the header clamp seems to be bent. The header bolts were a pain to get out so I’m thinking that the PO over torqued them. I measured the hole in the header and there is a difference of about 3mm from side to side versus top to bottom. I have pictures if needed.

My question is, should I worry about this? Would replacing the clamp be a good idea? If a new one would also be prone to bending, I would’nt think it would be worth it to replace it. I just wasn’t sure if this is a known issues. Also, the header flange gasket is intact and has no damage, besides I have a spare if needed. Any help is appreciated.

2005 S40, Raptor mod, flipped risers, Biltwell grips.
Her name is Maila Nurmi but when I am done with her she will be Vampira.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bent Header Clamp - Common or Not?
Reply #1 - 06/14/18 at 21:31:23

Is the muffler stock?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/14/18 at 21:39:57

Apply antisieze to the bolts before reinstalling and they'll come out easy the next time. the exhaust pipe clamp bolts need to only be torqued to between 13 and 20 ft/lbs ,(snug + 1/8 to 1/4 turns? ) If your clamp allows that torque ,without bottoming out against the cylinder(and the new gasket would help), I'd just use it as is, the flange on the pipe pushes against the gasket(not the clamp) and it is not warped ,so the pressure is evenly spread sealing the whole surface even if the clamp is a bit bent from over torqueing . you could file/grind the back of the clamp returning the surface to level, or near level,if needed. I can understand JOG asking if the muffler is stock because you would need to remove it to place a new clamp on the exhaust pipe ,and may destroy it in the process.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #3 - 06/15/18 at 00:17:00

JOG, yes it is stock but I have a set of Dynas, so one will be going on when I put everything back together.

Batman, you confirmed my suspicions, as I did notice that the clamp does not fully seat against the header. My other thought if I had clearance issues would be to simply put the clamp on backwards from how it originally was and taking advantage of the curve. Smiley Also appreciate the advice on using anti-seize, cause the PO never apparently heard of the stuff. I read elsewhere that a lot of people replace the bolts with loctited studs and double nut the clamp on. I was thinking of going that route during re-install. But then again if one of those studs ever did break off, extraction could be a major pain.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 06/15/18 at 10:04:12

I think you missed a point ,the clamp shouldn't move all the way against the cylinder, it just needs to be tight enough to slightly compress the gasket,  if it does move tight to the cylinder,you wont know if the gasket is compressed enough to seal ,then you need to use the new uncompressed gasket/or grind the rear surface flat. rotation of the clamp will do nothing ,it's still bent.There is no curve to take advantage of ,both surfaces ,the back of the clamp, and the mating surface at the cylinder are designed to be flat. Changing from bolts to studs doesn't change the problem  , antisieze will.

IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #5 - 06/15/18 at 16:10:24

I see what you’re getting at. I know when I removed the clamp that it was not touching the head. There was definitely a gap. Nothing seemed out-of-whack at that time. It was only later when I placed the clamp on the concrete floor in my basement that I noticed the deformity. I think I’ll be ok with reusing it or grinding it flat as you suggest.

By the curve I just meant if I flip it the clamp would curve out instead of in. Was mostly joking there. Also only mentioned the studs to see if there are advantages going that way over replacing the bolts. I have the anti-seize and new bolts ready to go, so I will probably use them. Appreciate the thorough answers, it keeps my head clear as I tackle these mods on the LS650. My previous bike was bought brand new and was a sportbike (only bolt on mods there).This bike has thrown some curveballs but nothing too hard to tackle with this forum’s help.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/15/18 at 17:02:15

I would prefer to have a flat clap to avoid non uniform clapping pressure on the gasket, and I would use a new gasket as well.
I think I have a clap and an extra gasket if you want them.
Just cover shipping cost.

If interested send me your mailing address and I will send them.

Michael

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/15/18 at 22:09:11

the gasket is under the header, no contact with the clamp.

Take and flatten the clamp in a vise.  most likely you'll need to open the holes up with a drill.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/16/18 at 03:17:37

LANCER wrote on 06/15/18 at 17:02:15:
I think I have a clap.
Michael

Your spell check may be getting you a reputation you don't deserve!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #9 - 06/16/18 at 13:22:51

Lancer, I really appreciate that offer. I would take you up but I went with Verslagen’s suggestion and used a bench vise to bend the clamp back straight. I had to use some bar stock and bolts to get the proper shape but it is now perfectly straight.

Verslagen1, thanks for that suggestion it worked perfect. I used a vise at work that has huge plates on each side wihich made the job take about two minutes. Most of that was to find the items to pad it to allow it to just over-bend it enough that when I backed off pressure it was then straight.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/16/18 at 15:38:26

As long as it's not antibiotic resistant.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 06/17/18 at 17:46:12

It's great you did it, I was afraid it might have cracked.

IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #12 - 06/17/18 at 23:08:47

I’m glad it worked out also. I did think about it cracking as it appears to be a cast part. Luckily it wasn’t bent too bad.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bent Header Clamp - Common or Not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.