Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LS650 Extreme knocking out of engine (Read 88 times)
FIFTI
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LS650 Extreme knocking out of engine
06/11/18 at 11:35:17

My LS650 recently started knocking out of engine. Last day when i started the engine, that knocking turned out to be extreme. As louder as to be unbearable. Seems like something has broken down within its chamber. Support needed plz. I can also send video, if needed fpr exact diagnosis. Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: LS650 Extreme knocking out of engine
Reply #1 - 06/11/18 at 11:59:54

Year
Mileage
Last maintenance, what has been done.
Time since work done till problem started.
Can't guess without a few clues

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 06/11/18 at 12:14:46

Post the video and as JOG suggests give as much info as you can.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 06/11/18 at 12:24:23

I am not certain if I would suggest running and idling and getting video considering the severity of the noise?  

If it's a cam chain tensioner about to drop out this engine could be one crank away from destruction.  If we can assess the mileage and see that it is 10-15K or more (within the "inspect your tensioner" range), wouldn't the safest bet to be to open the case before doing anything?

As noted by the previous posts, can you first advise on the year and mileage and any maintenance and then we can suggest next steps (video or not).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/11/18 at 13:04:07

They have been known to go from noisy to silent in a second, and remain silent, forever.
Wouldn't crank it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 06/12/18 at 16:54:30

If the cam chain tensioner isn't the problem(but you should check this first) and the vibration tends to lesson as engine speed increases it could be a loose flywheel ,we have seen a few cases where the nut backs off .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #6 - 06/13/18 at 06:15:01

And if it's not loose flywheel or the tensioner it could be balancer shaft hitting the crankshaft due to a missing pin on the crankshaft gear.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2001/savage-ls650p/cranks...

Part #14.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 06/13/18 at 08:09:34

There is another possiblilty and that is the piston.
One of my bikes had sat for an extended period of time without cranking/starting, about 6-9 months.  When I did start it I noticed a small knocking sound but was having difficulty isolating where  the sound was actually coming from.  It still ran, and as the rpm increased it seemed to lessen a bit.  When I finally pulled the engine for a look I found the rings has rusted just enough to hold the piston briefly when I did finally start it.  At that starting sequence the rusted rings held just long enough to yank the piston sideways and cause a gouge in the piston skirt and that left a little deposit of aluminum on the cylinder wall.  I was able to remove that deposit and there was a tiny ding on the cylinder but I was able to just hone the cylinder and install a new piston.  It works just fine now and only cost the $$ for the piston.
The reason I did not bore the cylinder is because it was already out to 97mm, so no room to bore more.  Yes, fortunate.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:38:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS650 Extreme knocking out of engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.