Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil leak (Read 39 times)
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Oil leak
06/10/18 at 14:23:32

I have an oil leak under the left side of the crank case.  Pretty sure the source is the two bolts I am pointing at in the picture.  I plan to tighten these two bolts as my first plan of attack.  They look like a size 8 but can anyone confirm the size?  10 is the smallest I have, so I want to confirm size before purchasing a new socket.

Also, any other recommended fixes for this?  I first noticed that the bike was dripping several small drops overnight after about a 20 mile ride.  Seems only to occur after bike has been run and warmed up.

IMG_20180610_162259_144.jpg
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Oil leak
Reply #1 - 06/10/18 at 15:10:09

8mm socket
Torque spec on a 6mm fastener (that's the thread size for that bolt) is only 6 ft/lbs. If you have to do more than snug up the fastener, STOP. Buy a new alternator cover gasket, remove the cover, and replace the gasket.
Old gaskets die. Overtightening the bolts only leads to broken bolts or striped threads

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/10/18 at 15:21:33

Seems a bit too convenient for oil to leak from the 2 lowest bolts on the case don't it?

And why overnight, if it were leaking the oil would be there right after the ride.

Don't think you've found it yet.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335737953

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 06/10/18 at 16:20:20

I agree with Vercy, If it were those bolts they should be leaking with the bike running,  not just over night. Also oil tends to run backward toward the rear of the bike, while running, and downhill while parked on the sidestand .I'd be looking at the bolts that run through the case and pegs(on a stock bike),the oil drain plug crush washer,   or the small seal on the shifter shaft as more likely places for a leak.

« Last Edit: 06/11/18 at 06:32:03 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:29:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.