Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Continuing Saga of Sad Savage (Read 385 times)
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
The Continuing Saga of Sad Savage
06/10/18 at 08:42:15

Good Morning Thumpers!
I am going to start a new thread so I can keep all of Sad Savage's info in one place, starting with copying my intro:
Sad Savage wrote on 09/12/17 at 20:47:15:
Sad  Hello Everyone.  This is the story of Sad Savage, a 1996 LS650P.  My daughter bought her back around 2005 thinking she'd like something with a bigger engine than her '86 Rebel 450.  She rode it a few times trying to get used to the different feel of it.  She decided the Rebel "fit" her better, finalized after she severely burnt her leg on the Savage (boots kept her from realizing her leg was against the pipe while fueling, until the leather was so hot she couldn't get her boot off fast enough!).  She got taken out, maybe once or twice a year after that, but mostly sat in the barn.

Sad  In 2011, thinking my daughter wanted to sell her, I pulled her out, put in a new battery, made sure she ran reliably, and my daughter took her to Louisiana for her boyfriend to ride.  At 6'1" he felt cramped on her and bought an '84 Shadow 700, moving to an H-D Dyna in 2013.  Savage sadly sat in the garage a few more years.

Cool  January 2016 We prepped her for sale, again.  New battery, new petcock (frozen in place), spit shined and polished.  We rode her up and down our road, but not too far as she wasn't tagged or insured.  She was loaded on a trailer and driven to a few events, where she got nibbles, but no cash.  Our friend and neighbour, Angel, had seen her as she was leaving for Colorado and was thrilled to find the Savage still available when she got back!  Small and light with enough power to get where she's going, perfect for a new rider!  My daughter trailered her to a shop to get new shoes while Angel waited to take her MSF-BRC.  She had somebody new to love her!

Undecided  June 2016  Newly licensed, Angel finally got on her, full  of excitement and ready to ride ... and couldn't get her to go into gear unless the engine was off.  I had moved to Central Texas in May and suggested adjusting the clutch, but wasn't there to help her.

Angry  August 2016  Now she wouldn't start either (dead battery?) and Angel accepted "help" from a backyard mechanic she really didn't know, who picked up the Savage.  He told her there was rust in the tank, it needed to be cleaned and sealed, and that he would clean the carb.  When I found out, I told her not to mess with the tank, just to rinse any loose rust out with gasoline, but it was too late!  The tank was ruined!  The sealant was oozing out of holes and when Angel put gas in, it literally poured out!  

Kiss  Autumn 2016  A biker acquaintance felt bad when he heard about the situation, cleaned the carb (which hadn't been touched by the guy who trashed the tank), adjusted the clutch (which hadn't been done either), hooked up a temporary fuel source to test run it, and wrapped the tank in fiberglass to try and make it usable (failed).

Grin  Winter 2017  We found a tank and set of tins and extra on Craigslist from a 2005 S40.  The tank was perfect, the tins fit, the only difference was the seat mount, but the S40 seat came with the extra parts.  A neighbour up the road swapped out the tins, charged the battery, changed the oil.  Angel finally took her first ride on the Savage!

Huh  April 2017  I rode over for the LA State Hog Rally and stopped by Angel's thinking we'd go for a ride together.  Battery was dead.  I had an extra whip and helped her install it so she could just plug in a tender.  Showed her the reason they couldn't get the battery cover to stay on was because they hadn't reinstalled the bracket it mounts to.  This is also when we realized the S40 fender didn't have the bracket to mount the two piece seat of the Savage.  Also, the seat mount that bolts onto the back of the tank hadn't been put back on.  We spent the afternoon locating an installing all the missing brackets and putting it back together.  I explained the different positions on the petcock and explained why not to leave it in the prime position.

Shocked  June 2017  This is where it should have gotten happy, but she couldn't get it started.  Frustrated, she let someone else take it.  He brought it back the day before she left to go to her dying mother in Colorado and said "I'm sick of messing with it!"  She didn't even look at it before she left.

:'(  September 2017  Having decided to sell her house and stay in Colorado, last weekend I drove the 800 miles round trip with my trailer to pick up the Savage for her.  I was shocked and appalled at what I had found!  No battery, side cover MIA, wiring harness socket dangling, crease in the side of the tank, and happy that I could at least find all the parts to put the battery box back together in the crates.  Her repair manual is also MIA.

This is what brings me here.  I still have hope for this poor little bike.  She's been through hell in her less than 8000 miles.  I am not a mechanic.  I don't do engine work, but I can do basic maintenance, and I care.  I care because I believe this bike still has a lot of life in her, and I care because Angel is my friend.  I know enough to know I don't know and I hope I can find the answers I need here.

Ride On & Smile!

IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Re: The Continuing Saga of Sad Savage
Reply #1 - 06/10/18 at 09:38:50

Picking up where I left off last September ... and feeling overwhelmed at the mess in front of me, I got my daughter's Clymer manual, found the Savage Companion Motorcycle Handyman in this forum, and a couple of other useful parts lists and links.

Click Here To Down Load ---> The Motorcycle Handyman[/size][/center]

Suzuki LS 650 Parts List http://www.savageriders.com/verslagen/Data/PDF07-ls650-parts-list.pdf

Clymer Manual Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/dddree19e0k6sft/Suzuki_LS_650_Savage_1986_2004_Manu...

With the help of these I was able to figure out the correct placement for the decomp control unit that I found dangling over the side of the frame, and the solenoid that was just left loose with the rubber boot pulled off under the seat.  I have no idea why all this stuff was pulled apart, but have a sneaking suspicion it was because the person who did so had no idea about the clutch, neutral, sidestand safety switches.

Ok. How badly has this bike been trashed?  Is she worth spending the money on a battery and air filter?  Neither Angel nor I were in a position to throw money at her.  Then about a month ago I got the idea of hooking a friend's battery jump pack (one of those little pocket size things) directly to her battery cables.  Not only did she crank, she started!  She spit and sputtered and carried on and I shut her down not wanting to run her for more than a moment without a real power source.

Never the less, it was an inspiration.  I searched and ordered an AGM battery and air filter for her.

2017-09_16.jpg
  IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #2 - 06/10/18 at 10:08:24

May 26, 2018
It was a B*TCH bolting her solenoid in place!  Not only am I trying to figure out which of the few loose bolts I have may go where, but also trying to figure out what size and threads to purchase as replacements!  The Suzuki LS650 parts list is nice, but even searching the part number online doesn't give that information!  So far they mostly seem to be an M6 with a 1.00 pitch, leaving me to guestimate length.

I had to pull her battery box (only held in with one bolt!) so I could loosen her air box and move it forward to get into where the solenoid bolts to the rear fender.  I could only get the top bolt in.  It doesn't look like the bottom bolt lines up with the lower mount on the fender, which is possible given that it's on '05 (I believe) S40 fender and not the original '96 Savage fender.  At least the top bolt is tight and I feel like the solenoid will safely stay in place.

2018-05_58.jpg
  IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #3 - 06/10/18 at 10:47:33

May 28, 2018

Air box and battery box (now with three bolts holding it in) back in place.  Install air filter and new battery (which needed an overnight trickle charge although it indicated it was ready to go).  

Put the one piece seat from the S40 on her, and she blows her main fuse. Embarrassed Rearrange the wires under the seat and make sure nothing is pinched, replace fuse & put the seat back on, this time hooking only the front and back, not the sides.  Fuse blows again as soon as I turn the key on.  Undecided Replace the fuse again, this time putting her solo seat on and leaving the voltage regulator and its wires exposed.  Voila!

Note the vacuum hose is missing off the petcock (ordered), put her in Prime, start her up and ride her twice around the driveway, snapping and popping and bogging down ... but running and not stalling!  Old gas?  Fouled plug?  Angel said she had a problem keeping her running, when she could get her started.  Still feeling like a successful day after the condition I picked her up in!

June 3, 2018

Realize her vacuum hose is NOT missing, just hooked from the vacuum port on the right side of the carb to the vent port on the left side of the carb.  Both vent hoses are missing!  Correctly position the vacuum hose from the vacuum port to the petcock (will replace when the new one comes in, just because this one is old).

She starts right up and purrs like a kitten!  All the snapping and popping and bogging down is GONE!  I put on about three miles riding her around the driveway, and go out the gate once so I can at least get her in second gear, smooth as silk.  She's beautiful!

I call Angel and tell her to start putting money away for insurance and tags.  It will probably be September before we can arrange pick up/delivery somehow as we're 1000 miles apart.  That's ok, it gives me time to replace her vent hoses, headlamp bulb (high beam is out), and replace various missing bolts, figure out how to put on the pillion pad without pinching any wires (rubber bumper cushions are missing off the one piece seat so it sits down too low), and just generally go over it to make sure it doesn't give her any problems when she gets it back.

I have a whip on her so it's easy to plug into a tender and not fight with the battery box to keep her charged.  Plug her in so her battery will be fully charged after the several starts and short run times.  I'm ecstatic!  Cheesy  I feel like we've made it "over the hump".  

IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #4 - 06/10/18 at 11:42:09

June 6, 2018

I stop by my friend's where the Savage in the garage to be worked on.  He tells me to cut lengths from the end of a siphon hose with the right size tubing to use for the vent hoses.  Cool!  Pull her tank to properly run them up over the carb to the little box in the frame under the decomp control unit (thanks to the Suzuki Savage/S40 Project group on facebook for showing me where they are supposed to go!).  Put her all back together.

I push her to the front of the garage because the handlebars they put on her are too wide for the length of her throttle cable and she tachs out on left hand turns (her original bars and the mini-apes Angel wanted installed are among the parts that are MIA).  She starts right up, idles for a moment, I put her in gear and only go a few feet and bla, bla, blaaa ... she stalls like she's out of gas.

Ok.  I had her fuel line disconnected and foolishly started her in Run instead of Prime.  Thinking she had an air bubble in her line, I switch her to Prime and crank her a couple times.  When that didn't work, I pulled the vent lines off the carb nipples as that was the only significant change and maybe the ends were occluded.  Crank her a couple more times and she still doesn't start.  Push her back in the garage.  I'm so frustrated I want to cry!   :'(  Plug her back in and ride my 1200 Sportster "Cherise" to lunch.

She's been on Prime while I was out but her battery is not back to full charge yet.  I loosen the drain screw at the bottom of the carb bowl.  Yep, she's got fuel.  Dang!  Now she's dripping gas from the drain screw.  Turn the gas back off ("Run" position on the petcock).

Somebody had obviously tried to add a piece of gasket on top of the original gasket on the screw.  I clean all the old gasket material off the screw, but all I have to work with is fuel grade (yellow) teflon tape.  I wind a little on her threads, then add a hump near the head of the screw to squish into a gasket when it's tightened.  It took a couple tries, but it works.

The next "logical" thought is that I disturbed some wires going to her decomp control unit.  Either that, or something has an intermittent problem aggravated by heat.  I just went through that with "Cherise".  She'd bog down like she was running out of fuel, then pick up again.  First we replaced her VOS (vacuum operated switch) hose.  That didn't solve it, so we swapped out her H-D ignition module and coil for one made by Dyna.  She now runs really sweet and the heat doesn't bother her!

Not much more I can do until her battery charges.  Call it a night.   Undecided

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 06/10/18 at 13:02:38

Replace the OEM petcock with the Raptor and then start troubleshooting.  The stock petcocks are a weak point and can cause all sorts of issues.  Do this before looking elsewhere and then let us know.  Folks with greater expertise will chime in but, after reading through the thread, it sounds like  you haven't done this yet?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #6 - 06/10/18 at 13:11:28

June 8, 2018

Battery indicator is showing full charge.  Hoping against hope that she was just flooded or didn't have quite enough juice or whatever would just magically disappear.  I got a few clicks, a whirr of her starter, sounds that would generally indicate a dead battery.

Pull her tank, check to make sure her spark plug cap is well seated.  Check the connections on the decomp controller, look closely for any bare or kinked wires.  Pull her left side cover to check the connections at the CDI box/Ignition Unit ... all with the same response ... but I notice her negative battery lead is getting HOT!   Huh  That just doesn't seem right, not to where I can feel the heat through my pants where it is touching my leg!  Bad ground connection?

Pull the battery and leave it to charge (via the whip which I left connected) since I have now tried cranking her several times.  The battery seems very warm, but I'm too focused on the negative lead to really pay attention.  

There had been a gob of electrical tape near the terminal end forever (meaning it was that way when my daughter bought the bike).  When I had investigated I discovered that it was because the terminal end had been spliced on.  I had replaced the end and got rid of the splice, "just because" it was a butcher job.  I rechecked my work to make sure it had a good solid connection.  I then traced the negative cable to a junction coming out of the CDI Box/Ignitor (haven't unwrapped it to see if that was also spliced, but I wonder  Undecided ) and on down to where it where it screws onto the back of the engine.  This looked tight and like it had not been at all tampered with, so I left it alone.

Make sure all the wires that go behind the battery box are well situated so they won't pinch.  Reinstall the box (with four bolts this time) and just for ha-has, since my initial test had been to hook the jump start box directly to the cables sans battery.  I did it again.  She cranked just fine! (She didn't start though).

Back to the battery, still not indicating full charge, and hot.  I notice a couple white marks on the edge opposite of the negative terminal.  They're smooth like it was melting, not rough like it had been bumped.  It has a tester on top that is now showing red indicating "bad - needs charge" rather than green "ready to use" like it did when I got it.  It has a clear top, and closer inspection shows corrosion by the negative terminal.  Gel is also visible in the top and was that way when I received it, but I've never been able to see in a battery before to know if that is normal.

Now I am thinking all of this has been a battery issue from the start.  Twice before in my many, many years of riding I have had batteries that showed full (12.6) voltage on a tester, but had a bad plate inside not allowing the juice to flow.

I use this trickle charger (Schumacher 1.5 amp maintainer/trickle charger) on both of my bikes with no damage to their batteries, so that's not an issue.  Yellow indicates charging, yellow flashing indicates abort mode, green pulsing indicates full charge in maintaining mode.  It also has a red light that would indicate reversed polarity, though this is something I am super careful about anyway.

Hopefully, APEX will warranty replace the battery since it has only been three weeks since it was ordered, and less since it was received.  In the meantime, just to rule out all possibilities, I would like to test the voltage regulator, the decomp control unit, and the CDI Box/Ignitor.  I realize it's going to take juice to accomplish this.

Keep in mind, I am not a mechanic and need everything spelled out for me.  I know nothing except what I have learned from the forums and reference materials listed earlier in this thread.  I just believe in this bike (especially since she ran so sweet last weekend!) and want to help a friend.  This is what I have found so far ...

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/30/11 at 07:57:26:

Put your volt-ohm meter into 20 volt range DC setting.

Stick the proper leads on the proper terminals on the battery (you can get into do this just by taking the seat off, the square cut outs are big enough).

Note the resting voltage of the battery as it sits before being started.  Write it down.  12.0 to 12.6 is a common resting range.

Crank the bike and get it to a good fast idle (at or over 1,000 rpm) check the battery voltage again with the engine running.

If resting voltage is over 12 volts and the running voltage is just over 13 volts you have a charging system that is working, but the regulator rectifier is getting marginal and old.   This bike may have issues with the battery not getting charged enough with short trips.

Running voltage at 13.5 to 14.5 is pretty sweet, your regulator rectifier isn't getting old and tired yet.  Your bike should recharge itself on short trips.

Over 15 volts, regulator rectifier is sick and is over charging your battery.

Stators rarely ever go bad, regulator rectifiers crap out much more often.  This test isn't hard to do and a Stealership will charge you $65 to $100 to perform it since you were silly enough to carry it to them to do it for you.  

They like your money in their wallet .....  that's why we call them Stealerships.

They can test your stator separately, both for resistance and for output voltage -- but get this ....

If the battery voltage on a running bike is in the right range, the stator and the regulator rectifier must be operating correctly for it to be there.

Thank you Oldfeller for making it short, sweet & simple!

Welcome to JA!
The compression release on the 650 Savage is controlled by an automatic electronic control system solenoid that senses when the starter is engaged and registers the timing in order to release compression on the exhaust valves upon initial cranking and then engage it when the starter reaches its full rpm's. the solenoid is connected by cable to the compression release on the head of the engine. To test this unit first understand that this control has 2 timers one that releases the compression for about 0.7 seconds for release and a second timer that engages the compression after about another 0.5 seconds returning the compression lever on the engine to normal position.
To test the first timer remove the seat and unplug the wiring harness from the automatic decompression control box. Then set a DC voltmeter to the 25 volt range at plug the (+) let to terminal 3 and the (-) lead to terminal 5. Now hook up two jumper wires one from the (+) side of the battery to terminal #1 and the (-) one to terminal #5 . The voltmeter should read 12 volts for 0.7 seconds and then go to zero.
To test the second part of the circuit hook a jumper from the battery to terminal one and two and the negative battery terminal to terminal 5. Now run the (+) side of the voltmeter to terminal 4 and the (-) side of the voltmeter to terminal 5. the voltmeter should read 0 (zero) then after 0.2 seconds of starting it should read 12 volts thereafter.
*NOTE; the terminals on the control unit if the plug is facing you and the notch is on top read from left to right on top 1,2,3 and on bottom 4,5,6.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
RD  https://www.justanswer.com/motorcycle/90xk3-function-decompression-solenoid-1...

Savage_Negative_Lead.jpg
  IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #7 - 06/10/18 at 17:17:17

No spark at less than 10 volts ... good to know.  That points toward the battery again, especially after I had tried to crank her a couple of times!

Found these in the Trouble Shooting Section.  I didn't see a quote button, so am copying and pasting so I can keep all this stuff in one place so I can find it when I need it.

Troubleshooting Guide Reply #10
How to test for spark

mjs3790225 wrote on 12/26/15 at 08:12:39:
Here are some videos and directions I put together for testing a couple parts of the ignition system.

How to test the pickup coil with two LEDs shoved in the connector.

Get two different color LEDs. 5mm size are fine. Blue and green are better choices but I used blue and red.
   Disconnect your pickup coil connector.
   Shove the LEDs into the connector coming off of the pickup coil.
       The LEDs should be inserted with polarity opposite of each other.
   While making certain you have the leads from the LEDs making good contact inside the connector, try starting the engine.
       This will cause the rotor to spin around the pickup coil. Each time it passes the pickup coil it will cause the coil's magnetic field to collapse and shoot voltage through the LEDs. One LED will light up when it approaches the pickup coil, and the other will light up after it passes it.
   If you are getting blinky lights, your pickup coil is working correctly.

Here is a really poor video of me talking about the theory behind this test and stimulating an old pickup coil with a wrench. The video was made as a series talking about something else so it isn't a great substitute for the instructions listed above.
https://youtu.be/EpfbL_aCoNA

How to test the ignition coil by forcing it to spark without the CDI

https://youtu.be/PWDGqB-hW3w

How to test the CDI box by forcing it to spark

NOTE: This test assumes you already know your ignition coil and pickup coil are both good.

First verify power to the CDI box. I am using the diagrams for a 1996 Savage.

Remove CDI box from wire harness
   Remove spark plug from engine but keep in socket
   Turn on key switch
   Turn engine run/stop switch to run
   Check voltages on the CDI wiring harness
       Put a voltage meter on the Orange wire with a white stripe, and the black wire with a white stripe. You should have battery level voltage. This means your CDI box is getting power to actually think and make operations. If it isn't, you have a issue with power getting to your CDI box.
           Check your you safety/bypass switches.
       This same orange/white wire supplies positive power to the ignition coil.
           If no power on this line, no power for your coil to make a spark

Second, verify power can make it through your ignition coil to the CDI box
           Put a voltage meter between the blue wire with yellow strip, and black wire with white stripe. You should have pretty close to battery voltage.

Third, disconnect the pickup coil wires and halfway bypass it.
           After the plug is disconnected, jump the orange wires together. Leave the green wire disconnected.

Fourth, reconnect your CDI wiring harness.

Fifth, ground your spark plug. (touch it to the head)
           Use an alligator clip and ground the plug to a clean part on the engine case.

Sixth, force the CDI to spark by dumping the pickup coil's magnetic field - look at the spark plug for a spark or listen for it
           On the pickup coil's harness plug, tap the green wires together.
               This sends a pulse to the CDI that is normally only made while the rotor is spinning around.
           You should have gotten a spark out of this action. If you didn't your CDI is likely bad. (Or your rotor is currently sitting over the pickup coil. Move your engine a bit more ahead so it is past the timing mark).

Video kind'a outlining this test
       https://youtu.be/KdEjrKjbUYM

Troubleshooting Guide Reply #11
Let's check the decomp.

put it in 2nd or higher.
bump the bike forward to rotate the engine.
bump it forward till you can rotate the decomp lever (left hand side, top of engine)
This indicates the engine is on the exhaust stroke.
Now try to start like normal (clutch in, neutral, etc.)
If it goes, your decomp is outta adjustment and the starter stalled on the compression stroke.

decomp out of adjustment [there's a link on the original post]

Somewhere I had read about watching the spin at the decomp cable (I think).  If it only spun half a turn, or too many times it indicated the decomp out of adjustment.  Will add more specific info when/if I find it again.  Hence trying to keep all this info in one thread.

IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #8 - 06/13/18 at 18:46:52

June 13, 2018

Happy to say that I have confirmed a bad cell in the new battery and APEX is warrantying it.  I'm hoping that is the source of all the problems since she ran so sweet on June 3rd!  I definitely plan to double check her voltage regulator when the new battery is installed, "just because".  Easy check.  Thanks Oldfeller!!!!

I have learned so much from you all!  I can't thank you all enough or I would probably still be chasing down a phantom that probably doesn't even exist!  I'll post again after the new battery arrives.

I hope maybe my story will help and/or give hope to another frustrated newbie! Wink

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #9 - 06/13/18 at 19:21:48

Bad battery cells must be somewhat common. The last motorcycle battery I bought had to to be replaced when it was new. I brought it home, charged it up a little and it didn't have enough power to kick in the starter solenoid, even though it was showing almost 13 volts.

They can go fast, too. One minute all is good, the next minute it is gone. My wife started her car, drove about 3/4 mi to a gas station and the starter would barely click when she tried to restart it.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 06/13/18 at 20:39:01

When checking the battery voltage you should watch it as you crank it over. Just turning on the ignition will drop the voltage .5V and if you watch closely, (you only have a fraction of a second) it will drop another 1.7V a total drop from resting to cranking should not be more than 2.5V so you can have an apparently fully charged battery at 12.6V that will momentarily drop to 9.6 or less indicating it's dead on it's feet.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #11 - 06/24/18 at 16:45:47

I received the replacement battery this week.  APEX had me take it to O'Reilly's (or AutoZone or one of those) to document that it indeed had a bad cell, with photo documentation.  They also wanted the numbers off the side of the battery.  They sent a new one without me having to return the bad one.

Got the new one installed yesterday.  Voltage check roughly 12.5 (reading from a dial, so not as specific as from a digital).  Had to crank her a couple times before she started (petcock on prime), but once she kicked she ran smooth.  Let her warm up a couple minutes until she idled nicely without the choke and rechecked voltage - roughly 13.5 maybe closer to 14, so her voltage regulator seems to be ok.  Will take my digital up next time for more specific readings.

Took her out for a few laps around the driveway.  She ran nicely, without any stumbling, even after I switched her petcock over to on.  I took her out the gate to the access drive so I could at least (barely) get her into second gear.  So far, so good.

Let her rest and went out a couple hours later.  Resting voltage still about 12.5 and she started right up on prime again and did a few more laps around the driveway.  

I'd really like to get her out on the road so I can run through her gears and get her up to highway speeds, but we're on a road that sees a lot of tourist traffic and LEO monitoring, so that will have to wait until my friend gets insurance and tags for her!  I don't even care if they are in my possession as long as I can show photo documentation that they exist and are current!

I managed to McGiver a way to keep her P-pad on the S40 fender that's not set up for it.  It will keep the voltage regulator covered and is stable enough to throw saddlebags over.

Next on the list is replacing the headlight bulb since high beam is out, and getting the missing bolts on the fender struts replaced!  Does anyone know what size the inner bolts, mid-strut are?  It's hard to believe someone would change tins out for a "friend" and leave all these bolts out!  Incredible the condition I found this bike in!

The only other pressing issue, at least until I get to road test her, is that the throttle cable is too short for the bars on her.  She tachs out if the bars are turned to the left.  I have someone trying to locate the two sets of handle bars that she had, the originals that came off her and the ones my friend wanted to put on her.  Hopefully, we'll locate the missing side cover also!

One other question.  She backfires loudly when I shut her down.  I have StarTron in her fuel right now since she's run so infrequently and for short periods.  My Sporty will do the same when StarTron is in her fuel so I'm thinking that may be a factor.  Just curious what other thoughts are out there.  A raptor petcock may be in the future, but right now we're trying to keep expenses to a minimum.  Thank You!

20180623_174748.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/25/18 at 04:04:20

You should not have to turn the petcock to "PRI" every time you start the bike - you only need to do that if the bike has not been run for weeks and the fuel in the float bowl has evaporated.

The explosion in the exhaust at shut down is a result of you killing the ignition to stop the bike - however the engine is still turning over and pumping unburned fuel into the hot exhaust.  Once the unburned fuel gets hot enough to ignite - the result is an explosion in the exhaust system.  If the engine idle speed is high it takes longer for the engine to stop turning and more fuel/air is pumped into the exhaust system....and a lean idle mixture can also cause the explosion to be louder than it will be with a proper mixture (however don't jet the carb for the shut down....jet the carb for how the engine runs).  A properly jetted engine with a normal idle speed generally just makes a gentle "poof" at shutdown - although the less restrictive the muffler you have on the bike the louder the explosion will be.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Sad Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas
Reply #13 - 06/25/18 at 17:00:44

Thank You!  I'll let it idle down a few moments before hitting the kill switch!

I've been starting her on prime since I've just gotten her running after years of neglect and shoddy work.  Once I'm sure her vacuum is working properly I'll keep in mind it's not necessary.

Thank You Again!  This forum has helped me get her going again!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 06/26/18 at 07:54:18

Sad Savage ,I know your trying to keep costs down ,but the bottom line is you need to have the bike run safely and reliably . You need to change the bars for safety, and changing to a Raptor petcock (about $30) will I think relieve your starting/running problems. The diaphragm in your stock petcock is old and stiff ,the vacuum from the carb doesn't want to open it and is starving fuel flow to the carb. the bike has compression and spark (or it would never have run) that leaves only fuel to be the problem. Do yourself a big favor ,get a raptor! If the bike doesn't run after that you'll need to check the carb for proper jet sizes and to see if it's clean, and a new battery wouldn't hurt.

« Last Edit: 06/26/18 at 21:42:02 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 21:27:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Continuing Saga of Sad Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.