Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2001 Savage Tear down and rebuild (Read 109 times)
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2001 Savage Tear down and rebuild
06/04/18 at 14:50:18

Hey everyone, it has been a while but I am finally giving my Savage some much needed work. As of right now I have everything but the front end and wire harness removed and I figured I would post the stuff I am planning to do here to see what you guys think. If there are tips on good places to buy the parts, good how to write ups, or anything else I would appreciate hearing about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Issues:

Leaking side cover gaskets, burning oil, piston slap.

I had a nice leak from the right side cover gasket that was fixed with some gasket maker in the short term but that's an easy fix. I was burning and leaking oil elsewhere so I needed some work for sure. I was getting what sounded like piston slap, maybe from a work wrist pin or piston rings so I am gonna go in and correct that as well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work I want to do:

I figure while I am this far into it, I might as well go ahead and do the mods I always wanted to do so if you guys have insight I am all ears.

Overbore the piston. Since I am gonna be down to the piston anyway, I figure I might as well bore out the cylinder and replace the piston. A while back I know that Wiseco had a 97mm that did well as a replacement but I am not sure what the model number is on that one or if you can still find it. Any other alternatives are welcomed but I would like to overbore a bit to get some more displacement.

Mikuni Carb. This one is easy enough but I am not sure about the jetting that needs to be done after you do the swap. Looking to add some power and more displacement needs more flow. If there are better carbs to go with I'm open to suggestions as well.

Valve work. Gonna be porting and polishing the valves. I know a common job is to open up the exhaust port a bit to allow for higher flow. Also going to be inspecting the valves for damage and cleaning them up as well. Valve seats will likely need to be replaced.

Replacing air box with cone filter. This one I just want to do for ascetics and ease of work. I have seen quite a few people do a could of different methods and from what I understand just make sure you shield it from water. Any cons to doing this job?

Reroute wire harness. I am gonna do some general house cleaning and routing for the harness if possible to make future work easier.

Larger exhaust header. If I remember correctly, the stock one is 1.25in where as many switch to a 1.5in. I have a metal place nearby I figure I would bring the stock one in and ask for 1.5in tubing bent in the same shape. Seems easy enough.

Gear ratio. This one I need help on. I want to do highway riding (I live in FL and it is all highway) so I would like to change the gearing ratio a little. If I remember correctly from a while back, there are a few options for a larger front gear and a smaller rear but I don't know which ones to look for and the ratio I should go with. I could use some info here.

General metal work. I want to go for the cruiser look, not so much the bobber which is the most popular option. I found a picture that is close to what I would like to do so if anyone has pictures of cool cruiser builds I am looking for ideas. I'll attach the photo I found.

Foot Boards and extensions. Any bolt on footboards available? How do you guys go about extending the controls?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like a lot but I've done more complex car engine builds before but I figure before I go at it, ill look for some expertise from the experts.

Thanks in advance for your help!

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2004 Savage Tear down and rebuild
Reply #1 - 06/04/18 at 14:51:12

Picture didnt attach

savage-extremde.jpg
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: 2001 Savage Tear down and rebuild
Reply #2 - 06/04/18 at 15:17:16

Sweet dresser!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/04/18 at 15:28:51

Tocsik wrote on 06/04/18 at 15:17:16:
Sweet dresser!

Dresser?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 06/04/18 at 16:33:18

It's purrdy! but for riding it may be a butt buster ,the stock shocks and the handle bar ,seat , and running board height , tell me you better be under 5 ft. tall  to be comfy for more than a few miles on this bike.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/04/18 at 17:50:04

I see a few technical things in your list that are likely wrong.

The valve seats are really hard, and I doubt that you need to replace them.  Grinding the seats  may be done - most  times it isn't necessary as the seats seem really durable.

You can still get Wiseco 97mm pistons....or 96, or 95.  There isn't a huge power difference between the different sizes - but a significant improvement over stock.  You will need to run premium fuel after the change.

The  Mikuni Round slide can be bought from Lancer as a kit that has all the jetting changes needed.

Did you mention a cam change?  It would be a shame to do all that work and not install a performance cam.....or a new Nitrided cam chain.

If you want to use a belt drive, the Kawasaki front pulley conversion can be done.  Only a few of us have ever run the Kawasaki back pulley - but it does  work well and it is a lot of work to get the machining all done.  I  love my double pulley setup - but I built it and I didn't have to pay somebody to do it for me.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/05/18 at 14:43:03

batman wrote on 06/04/18 at 16:33:18:
It's purrdy! but for riding it may be a butt buster ,the stock shocks and the handle bar ,seat , and running board height , tell me you better be under 5 ft. tall  to be comfy for more than a few miles on this bike.

Ya I think it looks great, not mine though. Just a template of the general direction I want to go.

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/05/18 at 14:50:57

Dave wrote on 06/04/18 at 17:50:04:
I see a few technical things in your list that are likely wrong.

The valve seats are really hard, and I doubt that you need to replace them.  Grinding the seats  may be done - most  times it isn't necessary as the seats seem really durable.

You can still get Wiseco 97mm pistons....or 96, or 95.  There isn't a huge power difference between the different sizes - but a significant improvement over stock.  You will need to run premium fuel after the change.

The  Mikuni Round slide can be bought from Lancer as a kit that has all the jetting changes needed.

Did you mention a cam change?  It would be a shame to do all that work and not install a performance cam.....or a new Nitrided cam chain.

If you want to use a belt drive, the Kawasaki front pulley conversion can be done.  Only a few of us have ever run the Kawasaki back pulley - but it does  work well and it is a lot of work to get the machining all done.  I  love my double pulley setup - but I built it and I didn't have to pay somebody to do it for me.

Hey Dave, thanks for the reply.

Ok so the valves I will likely just clean up then and just make sure everything it tight. I believe a good way to do this is to install everything after you are done and fill the cylinder with gas and see if it leaks from the valves obviously rotating the cam until both are closed.

Do we know the model numbers of the pistons to ensure I get the right ones? I believe they are the ones for the SV650 or something right? Ill go for either the 96 or 97 probably and I assume that creates a higher compression ratio which is why you need to run 91 oct? Do I need to replace valve springs due to the higher compression?

I see the Mikuni on ebay for pretty cheap, ill check with lancer to see what his prices are.

I forgot about the Cam lol. Any suggestions here?

I like the belt drive, but I guess it depends on the options and gear ratios available. I want to be able to cruise at 70 - 75 at a comfortable RPM.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 06/05/18 at 16:17:24

The Wiseco High Compression pistons I sell raise the stock Compression ratio (CR) from 8.5:1 to 10.5:1, and the newest version is 94mm so they can be installed without over-boring your cylinder.  If you do want a larger bore the correct piston was made for the DR650, not the SV650, and it must be for the mosdel years 1990-1995,not the newer DR650 which is an entirely different engine.  My last 94mm piston has sold but I have a new order for more pistons that should be done in about3-4 weeks.
Be careful when going after a used Mikuni VM carb on eBay.  Many are very old versions built for the old 2-cycle dirt bike engines.  Beside being worn out the needle jet, slide, needle, pilot & main jet, and air jet are completely different from what we need for the Savage.  Even if you found one that was functional ( the vast majority are not) you still would need to replace all of those internal parts and doing so would bring the price up to the cost of a brand new carb.  Ask me how I know...been there & done that...numerous times.
Additionally, you need a custom throttle cable to match the carb and the Savage, a mounting flange (stock unit is different size), extra main and pilot jets to jet/tune it to match your engine, carb manual, air filter (carb does not fit the stock air box tube), and some carb tools are also handy.  I supply all that with the carb kit.  It costs $399 and you get it all in one package, saving you a lot of time trying to find all those parts from assorted sources.

Camshaft:  I have the Stage 3 made from your exchange cam core.  It is the only one being made now because it is the best of the 3.    Cost is $299, with a $100 refundable cam core charge that is refunded as soon as I receive you cam core.  Current turn around time is 5-6 weeks.  Webcam is slammed up with work and has been since the beginning of the year.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 06/06/18 at 13:00:43

Iceman4193 wrote on 06/04/18 at 15:28:51:
Sweet dresser!

Dresser?

Oops / autocorrect.

Meant to be drifter.  Drifter style fenders.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/07/18 at 04:36:47

The stock valve springs are fine....for anything that we do with the engine.  The cam/rockers are lifting 2 valves (4 springs) each, and they are already being pushed to a high load.....stronger springs is not needed and isn't a good idea.

The Savage engine works best from 3,000 - 5,000 rpm....above that the big single begins to get outside of what it does best...it is not a high rpm HP engine.  There isn't any need for a big wild cam, big carb, etc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/08/18 at 23:38:24

LANCER wrote on 06/05/18 at 16:17:24:
The Wiseco High Compression pistons I sell raise the stock Compression ratio (CR) from 8.5:1 to 10.5:1, and the newest version is 94mm so they can be installed without over-boring your cylinder.  If you do want a larger bore the correct piston was made for the DR650, not the SV650, and it must be for the mosdel years 1990-1995,not the newer DR650 which is an entirely different engine.  My last 94mm piston has sold but I have a new order for more pistons that should be done in about3-4 weeks.
Be careful when going after a used Mikuni VM carb on eBay.  Many are very old versions built for the old 2-cycle dirt bike engines.  Beside being worn out the needle jet, slide, needle, pilot & main jet, and air jet are completely different from what we need for the Savage.  Even if you found one that was functional ( the vast majority are not) you still would need to replace all of those internal parts and doing so would bring the price up to the cost of a brand new carb.  Ask me how I know...been there & done that...numerous times.
Additionally, you need a custom throttle cable to match the carb and the Savage, a mounting flange (stock unit is different size), extra main and pilot jets to jet/tune it to match your engine, carb manual, air filter (carb does not fit the stock air box tube), and some carb tools are also handy.  I supply all that with the carb kit.  It costs $399 and you get it all in one package, saving you a lot of time trying to find all those parts from assorted sources.

Camshaft:  I have the Stage 3 made from your exchange cam core.  It is the only one being made now because it is the best of the 3.    Cost is $299, with a $100 refundable cam core charge that is refunded as soon as I receive you cam core.  Current turn around time is 5-6 weeks.  Webcam is slammed up with work and has been since the beginning of the year.

I guess it depends on the condition of the cylinder walls but I wonder the HP difference between the sizes. I bet it wont be too much but I wonder if the extra displacement makes a difference.

They have some brand new Mikuni VM Slides on amazon for less than 100 which seems to be a good option, I just have to figure out the jetting which I think there is likely threads here about that somewhere but will depend on the piston and Cam I go with most likely. Are all the VM slides the same aside from the opening diameter or is there a specific one that I should look for? I think I want to ditch the airbox for a cone but I know having some sort of plenum for air the stagnate on some engines is important. Are there tuning issues with this engine when using a cone or other considerations?

299 before or after the core return for cam? Is the cam ground to a different lift and duration?

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/08/18 at 23:39:54

Tocsik wrote on 06/06/18 at 13:00:43:
Iceman4193 wrote on 06/04/18 at 15:28:51:
Sweet dresser!

Dresser?

Oops / autocorrect.

Meant to be drifter.  Drifter style fenders.

I like the long style fenders that wrap the tires and flare out at the end. I think I am gonna bolt on some sheet metal to the old fenders and use some cutting, grinding, body filler, and paint to get the right look

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/08/18 at 23:42:03

Dave wrote on 06/07/18 at 04:36:47:
The stock valve springs are fine....for anything that we do with the engine.  The cam/rockers are lifting 2 valves (4 springs) each, and they are already being pushed to a high load.....stronger springs is not needed and isn't a good idea.

The Savage engine works best from 3,000 - 5,000 rpm....above that the big single begins to get outside of what it does best...it is not a high rpm HP engine.  There isn't any need for a big wild cam, big carb, etc.

Ya I am not looking to race the thing, I do want a lower gear ratio to cruise more around 3k rpm at highway speeds so I can do long trips more comfortably so I need a bit extra power to get moving. Plus, if I am taking an engine apart, I can't Not add a little power  Grin

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/10/18 at 14:22:03

Engine is out, all the way down to the frame. If you guys have any little mod suggestions I am open to hearing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:30:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2001 Savage Tear down and rebuild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.