Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson (Read 466 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson
02/28/18 at 10:48:35

Once again, we go to the darkside of things seeking much better mileage compared to our two summers worth of use out of a motorcycle tire.

Darkside isn't recommended and mounting the darkside tire is more difficult and is dangerous when mounting (popping) the tubeless bead on to a motorcycle rim.

AS SUCH, understand you are treading where angels fear to tread .....

Tire is rated A for traction, A for temperature, 1,200 pounds standard load carry capacity at 35 psi and 40,000 miles for anticipated tread life under a standard load.    It is a non-directional 3 ply, steel belted radial construction.   Speed rating is Y — up to 186 mph.  My Barcalounger can't even break 110 mph (shaft drive and the rev limiter forbid any higher speeds).

Compared to the Swing Arm recess on the Barcalounger it is shorter than the existing Barcalounger tire by 3/8" and it will have an inch of clearance to the left and to the right (shaft drive is located inside the swing arm itself -- there is no wide drive belt in there eating up swing arm space like on a Savage).    

This nicely made Federal (South Korean brand name) tire has a nice rounded profile, not just some rounded corners, the whole surface is slightly rounded somewhat.  

Sweet riding & corning during the break in period, I would think .....    

Lots of deep rain grooves so it should be safe enough in the wet when hitting standing water puddle sections.   The Tread Compound used is a silica rubber which is a plus for both tire life and for wet traction.  Reviews are good to excellent for everything except for traction in deep snow -- and this boy simply doesn't do snow when riding on a motorcycle.

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 03/02/18 at 04:08:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20180228_144250.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cafe' Bike Tire Discussion
Reply #1 - 02/28/18 at 10:59:40

Now which one of you tire loving enthusiasts wishes to do a bought, shipped and mounted total cost per wear/mile competition to prove that your pick in tires has the largest bang for the buck?    This is "best mileage" per dollar spent contest, in other words.   Hard data all the way .....

Shocked    Shinko ain't half bad in these sorts of contests, actually.    The tire purchase cost is low and if you mount them yourself the relative cost of mounting on a shorter term tire doesn't dig you near as bad.

We have done this competition in the past, but everyone gave up on it after all the competitors either sold off their bike or changed out their rear tire in the second year.   I won by default on that last contest (I guess) as I was the last man standing which means there was nobody left to pay me the six pack which was the last contest's wager and that six pack is still due to the winner (me).  

We haven't done the contest in at least 3-4 years since then, although as Dave and MM can attest I am still running that exact same tire on the back of my Savage.

Do you think your current tire pick was a good one?   All you have to do is post your net purchase cost, taxes, your shipping costs, your tire mounting cost, your MEASURED tread depth in the middle of the tire (avoiding your wear marker humps and taking the measurement at your valve stem area so you can find the same spot again).

Note:  these contests have some real value to the list as they collect real data on tire brands vs tire wear/tire cost --- real mileage/wear data which helps people pick their next tire with better real knowledge.   Real data is always preferred to "opinions" which is mostly all we get when discussing tires.

ARE YOU CONFIDENT ENOUGH IN YOUR TIRE PICK TO BET A BEER OVER IT ???

ONLY REAL CURRENT REAR TIRE PURCHASES CAN BE ENTERED, detailing all shipping charges, discounts, deals, sales taxes and real mounting costs --  none of that "10 years ago I remembered buying a Metzler that lasted about 18,000 miles (I think, anyway, I never ever measured the tread depth on it so I really dunno)".

You need to own a dial or a digital caliper that reads in thousandths to measure your tread depth (wear amount) periodically.

===================================================

Hey, we can make the bet more interesting to you --- I'll race my existing Savage Darkside tire against your brand new motorcycle tire contenders.   I've still got half my original tread depth left so it should be a fair enough contest, wouldn't you think?

Racing against my yet to be installed Barcalounger tire would lack a certain element of fairness.  I dare say my new Barcalounger tire would be a winner in the contest just laid out, as I only paid a net cost of - $3.13 for it after taking a $25 credit for opening a new charge card at Walmart.com and then getting another $25 good will credit for getting screwed up/over by Walmart 3 different times before the right tire actually showed up.  Tire after taxes would have been $46.87, but the $50 in credits ran it down to -$3.13.      yep, a negative number

Next, I mount Darksiders on a Savage tube rim myself as it is a non-standard process.   So I don't spend the mounting dollars most of you guys chose to spend.

Wink

« Last Edit: 03/01/18 at 02:06:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Oldfeller's Dark Side
Reply #2 - 02/28/18 at 20:30:56

If only them tires came in a 17" to fit the guzzi ?    

When the Commander II on the Savage is gone , then I'd be game to go DARK again if I can find a 145/85-15   even a 145/80-15.. I've got a 60 series 145 size wasting away in my shop now !  

Making the rim tubeless is the option I'm thinking .   If I mess my rim up then I've got a couple of friends who could set me up with a replacement .   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robi
Reply #3 - 03/01/18 at 00:50:38

MM was running a Darkside tire when I first met him -- he proved to me that you could do it on a Savage.

We both lost our original Darkside tire due to tube failure / low air pressure issues long long before we wore them out.  

Now I take care to make sure my Savage Darkside stays up at 32-35 psi,  intentionally keeping it somewhat firm for consistent non-squiggly handling.   MM liked to intentionally run somewhat lower psi,  but he admits that the issues that made him take the tire off actually came from that habit.

Mike, you need to know the size and profile of the tire you have now, note the CLEARANCE that you have to the shaft drive and the swing arms on both sides and then again to the front of the swing arm and then play with a tool like this one to spot your issues with various sizes and aspects of tires.  

All tires (motorcycle and car) use the same width, aspect, radial/bias and rim size notations.  

Remember, a smaller width on the same rim means a lower profile (and a stiffer tire) automatically.  

Use this tool to scan what is available out there in 17" and 15"  tires.            https://www.tirerack.com/tires/sizes/results.jsp?diameter=17

This tool compares two different spec'd tires so you can spot differences in size and aspect.                 https://tire-calc.com/

« Last Edit: 03/01/18 at 04:27:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cafe' Bike Tire Discussion
Reply #4 - 03/01/18 at 03:25:48

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/28/18 at 10:59:40:

I won by default on that last contest (I guess) as I was the last man standing which means there was nobody left to pay me the six pack which was the last contest's wager and that six pack is still due to the winner (me).  

We haven't done the contest in at least 3-4 years since then, although as Dave and MM can attest I am still running that exact same tire on the back of my Savage.

That was a competition I never officially entered.  I use very soft/sticky tires on my Cafe' bike, and  can wear out a tire in 6,000 miles - which is about 2 -3 years of use on my Cafe'.  My tire usage is not all that thrifty - but it is part of the "Cost of Living"  (This is the way I want to live and that is what it costs).

I might be able to cut the cost of tires a little bit if I bought Shinko's and slowed down in the corners a little bit.............Naaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 03/01/18 at 04:25:52

So, the only one who ever gave me alcohol wasn't even in on the contest.     Grin

I think I only squalled my big tire once in all those years of running around in the mountains and that was when I was following you up in your home country.

Actually, I ought to buy you guys a round with all the tire money I saved BY NOT HAVING TO CHANGE MY REAR TIRE EVERY TWO YEARS.

« Last Edit: 03/01/18 at 14:16:01 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson
Reply #6 - 03/01/18 at 07:03:01

Looks like a car tire to me. It also looks like to most un-fun tire you could ever put on a motorcycle. You'd have to wrestle with the bike every time you'd want to turn. Really, that tire has the profile of a 4x4 piece of wood.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/01/18 at 07:17:20

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/01/18 at 07:03:01:
Looks like a car tire to me. It also looks like to most un-fun tire you could ever put on a motorcycle. You'd have to wrestle with the bike every time you'd want to turn. Really, that tire has the profile of a 4x4 piece of wood.

That is what logic would imply......both Oldfeller and MM have chased me around the mountains using these tires - and they have never had any trouble riding at "qualifying speeds"!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 03/01/18 at 07:46:22

Dave, he is just repeating what he has read elsewhere -- what else can he do?

Nobody believes it until they follow right behind MM or me and watch some -- they don't understand "patch" for very much and they assume the bottom of the tire is FLAT like a cinderblock and you have to tilt the cinderblock up on an edge to make a curve.

Gary, how do the front tires of your family sedan make it around a sharp turn?    How do the back tires make it, back tires which wear pretty much flat style, now don't they?

Answer:  the tread stays mostly flat and the sidewalls flex some allowing the tire to progress around the turn --- this actually works for most civilized maneuvers at most civilized speeds.

In the really extreme stuff, you do raise up one edge of the flat portion up into the air but about half the tire still stays in engagement, maybe dropping down to a third of the tire staying engaged if you are doing a really really nasty peg dragger.

So, if you are down to that critical third of a tire surface, how much rubber is actually engaged on a large tire like this one?

Answer,  about twice as much patch engagement size as you will ever get on a motorcycle tire, ever.

Do you have to fight to go around a curve?  

No.  Not at all.

If anything, you fall over into a tight curve a little easier than with a standard tire -- I suspect this is because your contact line departs from the center of the tire moving over "towards the curve" to be inside the last third of the tire and you feel like you have some power steering going on to a very minor degree during this transition phase.

Gary, you are due for a Dragon trip or a Suches trip, aren't you?

« Last Edit: 03/05/18 at 06:54:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 03/01/18 at 08:21:49

I'm not repeating what I've seen elsewhere as I have never seen a motorcycle tire like that (well maybe on a sidecar bike).

Cars and motorcycles do not turn in the same manner. Whereas a single track vehicle will lean from side-to-side, an automobile will yaw or pivot about the cg of the tire. The lateral forces are translated to the sidewall and the sidewall will flex as a result.

The steering inputs aren't even the same, nor are the forces and vectors.

I'd have to try the tire to experience. All of my street experience is on sport bikes (which I consider my cafe racer to be). The only S40/LS650 I've ever ridden is my cafe racer...and I never once rode that (or even sat on it) as cruiser. I rolled it out of my pick-up and immediately started taking it apart.

Dirt bike tires (the other type of riding which I am accustomed) tend to be very square, so I can make that analogy for understanding. However, the surface on which a dirt bike operates is much more forgiving than asphalt.

I'm seriously thinking about a Dragon run this year. As to what bike I would bring...and given the 60 mile range of my cafe racer...I'm thinking I'd be on my FZ - round profile tires and all.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/01/18 at 10:24:04

Gary:

Once you are used to a bike like the Cafe' or a sport bike....the stock Savage is a bit strange for the first few miles.  Your feet are really far forward, your rear end is really low, your hands are up high.....and when you enter a turn the bike seems like it "falls" into the turns - I believe it is the rake of the forks that makes it feel that way.

The Savage can corner really well - but those first few miles sorta make me feel like I am a beginner and need to learn how to ride again.

I do believe we (I) will be going to the Dragon area sometime in June and August.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 03/01/18 at 14:23:04

Gary,

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1518871430/0

Dave posts: The Suches trip is tentatively scheduled for the first weekend in June (weather permitting).  I could arrive in the area in the afternoon of Wednesday, May 30, and stay until Sunday, June 3rd.  If the weather isn't good that weekend......postpone the event until the following weekend.  (June 6-10).  It is an 8 hour trip for me to get there and I will be towing my bike behind my car on my trailer, and I can pack the Mega tent that sleeps 4 easily (and I can sleep in my trailer if the tent gets full).

This will be a ride/eat/sight see trip - with the focus on riding.  The Two Wheels of Suches provides a great home base......it is easy to ride the local roads and then come back for meals.  Short rides to places like Chatuge Lake where there is a great restaurant on the edge of the lake, and Copperhill on the way to/from the Natahalla River proved to be good rides and good food.  Wolf Pen Gap provides a really fun ride with turns that are really tight.....there are 2 hairpin turns that are 1st gear 180 turns.....and 129 is more open and very hilly and twisty - we can even ride up to Booger Hollow where MM can get his Dollar Store Mountain Dew supply!

« Last Edit: 03/05/18 at 13:54:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #12 - 05/22/18 at 18:52:37

Old Timer, I know this is an old post but I have recently went dark side on my S40. I am using a 560R15 radial car tire and I am very pleased with it. I have over 700 miles on it now, most of them in the mountains of south west Colorado. I can't believe how well planted the bike is. I just wanted to let you know that there are still a few Darksiders out there. Jeff Billingsley

IMG_20180513_085546_hdr.jpg

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 05/22/18 at 20:13:34

a 560R15 radial car tire  

Job

I'm interested in more info about that tire !  Shocked

I've been using the Commander II (on my second one now) and got 22,000 miles + out of the first one.  
I've had auto tires on my Savage and I know what you mean by that solid feeling that a bike tire can never have.  Smiley

Last time I looked for a Dark-side tire I didn't find a useable size so … I tried the Commander II , its second best !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 05/23/18 at 02:04:27

Hello guys, I read of your issue with "bedding in" a tubeless car tire to a motorcycle rim made for tubed rubber.

Has anyone evr tried a "tyre", i.e. a tire made in England specifically made for wire wheels?
Those things need an inner tube… MGC tires came in 165x15, wire wheels demanded an inner tube.
Same applies to vintage Triumphs, Jaguars, VW Bugs… all came with 15" wheels.

Just thinking…

ALSO

I am in the process of creating a "1950's nostalgia" tribute out of my Savage, and have fitted a 17" rear wheel off a Suzuki DR;
same shaft, same brake drum, same overall dimensions, and with a 130/90x17 tire the rolling radius is the same.

Also… HD Dynas come with 16" rear wheels, the belt drive is on the same side, maybe the belt pulley is compatible… (teeth size etc.)
but I wouldn't know about belt width; I wouldn't be surprised to learn our thumpers have a beefier belt than V-twins...

So … maybe…  Roll Eyes

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 05:09:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.