Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Dip Cleaning Questions (Read 116 times)
edison
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Dip Cleaning Questions
05/16/18 at 12:54:11

OK, I pulled the carb...how far do I have to break it down before placing it cleaner?  
My understanding is that all of the plastic parts should come off....do I need to pull the jets and needles out or will it work if I simply dunk it? (I think the pilot jet is the problem since starting is the issue).
FWIW, I am using the gallon can of GUNK carb parts cleaner that comes with a parts bucket....I also have the Clymer S40 manual.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carb Dip Cleaning Questions
Reply #1 - 05/16/18 at 14:18:21

Absolutely the jets need to be removed.

After the dunk you need to wash the parts, blow them dry, and confirm you can see daylight through the holes in the jets.

You should not be placing any plastic or rubber parts in the cleaner.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/16/18 at 14:56:54

That includes the TEV valve diaphragm .and be sure you check and clean the small passage in the "finger" .You should also remove the choke,  The mix screw and float valve seat have O-rings but they deal with fuel so shouldn't be affected.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
edison
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/17/18 at 18:18:53

Thank you both!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/17/18 at 18:38:51

AND ...besides the jets the carb body itself has numerous tiny passageways in the carb throat on the filter side and on the engine side, and under the little cover on the right side (the one with 3 screws), and on the underside that is covered by the float bowl.
Most all of those little passageways are inter-connected with the pilot system, including the choke.
There are lots of places that can be clogged and any one or combos can frustrate your tuning and riding pleasure.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/17/18 at 21:24:52

Recommend Berrymans B12 spray to clear all the passages.

Excellent eye protection is absolutely necessary.

And good ventilation is really important.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
edison
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/18/18 at 12:01:10

Is the Berryman spray a better option better than the dip method for someone with little carb experience?  I am thinking the less I pull apart, the less chance of jacking things up. It sounds like the spray method might be easier too, not requiring rinsing and then blowing it out with air.

PS - what  are the two hoses that "go to nowhere" on the carb? ...they point forward on the bike when the carb is in place....I did the Raptor Petcock change but didn't mess with them....

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 05/18/18 at 12:31:56

The two hoses that go nowhere are the float bowl vents. Just make sure that they are connected. They usually tuck into the frame above the carb.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/18/18 at 15:54:58

Better?
I can't say.
I've never used the dip.
Berrymans has cleaned every carb I've dealt with, and that's a fair number.
A good light, good eyes, a snooty attitude towards crud, and a Real careful approach to avoid the spray getting shot back in your face is important.
I use a torch cleaning tool for jets.
Never change the size of the jet with it.
Be patient and gentle and you can win.
You can even carefully squirt Berrymans into a small metal bowl and soak jets.
That button doesn't need pushed all the way down for some things.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
edison
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/18/18 at 17:27:00

Thanks again for all the responses!

IP Logged
RoughRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/22/18 at 07:40:26

edison wrote on 05/16/18 at 12:54:11:
OK, I pulled the carb...how far do I have to break it down before placing it cleaner?  

As others have said break it down all the way and be serious about cleanliness and accounting for all the parts. It is not hard at all and it is good to learn. I also use Berryman dip and highly recommend it.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 06/26/18 at 06:22:25

Once you have completely disassembled the carb and done the B-12 procedure, put the carb body in an ultrasonic cleaner for 10 minutes or so.  You'll see a little more brown stuff come out.  The inside of the carb body, and all the tiny passages, will be new-production clean.

These cleaners can be had from Harbor Freight for $80 or so.  A bit of an expense (just one time), but if you have one you'll find all kinds of uses for it,.. eyeglasses, gun parts, cartridge cases, carbs (of course), jewelry, some electronic stuff, dirty fasteners, drone parts, locks, etc.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 06/26/18 at 07:01:42

Under the float valve seat, is  a tiny screen (fuel filter) be sure to clean it too.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
magnum440d100
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/26/18 at 12:34:19

Gyrobob wrote on 06/26/18 at 06:22:25:
Once you have completely disassembled the carb and done the B-12 procedure, put the carb body in an ultrasonic cleaner for 10 minutes or so.  You'll see a little more brown stuff come out.  The inside of the carb body, and all the tiny passages, will be new-production clean.

These cleaners can be had from Harbor Freight for $80 or so.  A bit of an expense (just one time), but if you have one you'll find all kinds of uses for it,.. eyeglasses, gun parts, cartridge cases, carbs (of course), jewelry, some electronic stuff, dirty fasteners, drone parts, locks, etc.

'Tis what I did.

A couple things to note here. My floats are still on. There was so much crap on the pin, I ran it through a cycle to clean, and hopefully dislodge enough crap to make removal of that pin easier. Second thing to note. The cleaning solution I used SHOULD be yellow/yellow green.... So ultra sonic cleaners DO work. Mine is a harbor freight special, and is on the verge of crapping out..... But is still "works"...

0620181424a.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/27/18 at 03:39:22

Before I take my carb apart.....I will spray it with degreaser and brush off the major crud before I take it apart and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner.  It keeps the cleaner in the ultrasonic from getting all the oil and crud in the ultrasonic.

I have also started to use the Krud Kutter Parts Cleaner in my ultasonic.  Some cleaners like Simple Green or Purple Power can etch aluminum and remove the shiny casting surface.....and then it leaves a surface that is harder to keep clean and corrodes easier (read the label and some warn not to use the product on aluminum).

Don't use the heater in the ultrasonic with the Krud Kutter - it turns the cleaner into a gel.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter-1-gal-Parts-Washer-Cleaner-Degreaser-...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 16:16:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Dip Cleaning Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.