Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Engine Problem on my RYCA Cafe Conversion (Read 505 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Engine Problem on my RYCA Cafe Conversion
Reply #30 - 05/07/18 at 16:06:54

Caferacer , rebuild kits ordered on the web often come with the wrong size jets .(about six sizes to small)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #31 - 05/07/18 at 16:49:38

Yes sir, but the fuel is far away from the jets etc. where it can do less harm.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #32 - 05/07/18 at 18:09:42

Thanks batman.  Even though the kit I ordered comes with a jet or two, I don't plan on changing my jet setup, since the bike was running great till it started puking gas out the carb vent hoses.

Raptor petcock came today.  Waiting on the new float valve and bowl gasket, then it'll be go time.  

I also did some reading up on several threads concerning oil choice.  I opted for the Rotella T4 in 15w40.  Is it a huge no-no not to use the redline zddp addative with this particular oil?

Also, is it a problem that I won't be able to warm up the engine (due to the gas smelling oil) before draining and adding new oil?  I read in another thread that engine should usually be warmed before oil change.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 05/07/18 at 18:29:41

caferacer wrote on 05/07/18 at 18:09:42:
I also did some reading up on several threads concerning oil choice.  I opted for the Rotella T4 in 15w40.  Is it a huge no-no not to use the redline zddp addative with this particular oil?

Also, is it a problem that I won't be able to warm up the engine (due to the gas smelling oil) before draining and adding new oil?  I read in another thread that engine should usually be warmed before oil change.

The current formula of the T4 has 1,200 ppm of ZDDP....that is enough and no additional ZDDP is necessary.

How much gas got in the oil?  If it is just a little bit I would just drain the sump and leave filter alone.  If the oil level raised considerably....I would change the oil and filter.  Dumping oil on an engine that has run a week ago is not nearly as potentially destructive as doing it to an engine that has sat for weeks, months, years without being started.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #34 - 05/07/18 at 20:20:42

There was no noticable rise in the oil level, judging by the crankcase window.  So, I don't think a lot of gas got in the oil.  I think I'll follow your recommendation Dave by just draining and refilling without messing with the literally 70-mile old filter.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 05/07/18 at 21:56:30

Gas evaporates at very low temperature ,and your oil runs at least 270 F ,the little bit that may still be in the filter will be turn into fumes and end up going through the vent tube and into your carb.
    Adding products like  ZDDP , or Sta-bil to your gas tank at every fill up as some have said ,is something I've always avoided. Nobody seems to take into account that you never drain out all the oil or gas from your bike so that adding a standard amount each time actually builds up the level of these over time . ZDDP level in the oil your about to use(1200) will be enough to protect your motor, 1600 is said to be max, 1800 is to much and can damage your motor. Unless you add more ZDDP ,the level, just using T-4 ( or T-6 Syn.) can never be over 1200.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #36 - 05/08/18 at 08:59:15

Norm ,I'm didn't know fuel harmed the jets , mine seem to be quite happy submerged in fuel! what are you saving them from? If you store your bike off season with fuel in the gas tank ,do you fill the tank or half fill it ? Air and the moisture in it is the enemy, not fuel. If your going to lower the fuel level in the carb ,then you really need to drain the bowl completely ,or the idea is half baked . To think that your saving the float valve from wear is a joke ,I haven't had to replace mine in 23 years.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 05/08/18 at 09:47:17

I run my engine out (or low enough that the engine stops) on my way home after each ride - the "STOP" sign down the street is my landmark and the bike begins to sputter as I start down my driveway.

Is this "anal"?  Yes it likely is - but I have not had to clean or rebuild my carb and I don't worry that there is any gunk building up if I don't ride for an extended period.

The photo below shows what can happen with the fuel we get in Kentucky.  This photo shows Shell Premium Pump gas that was placed in a plastic bottle that had a small vent hole drilled in the cap to simulate the fuel tank vent - I stored this in my pole barn so it could get the daily temperature and humidity swings that my yard equipment experiences.  The dark yellow liquid at the bottom is the Phase Separation where the absorbed moisture and ethanol combined and dropped out of suspension in the gasoline.  I don't want that crap in the bottom of my float bowl.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #38 - 05/08/18 at 12:13:11

As you wish Batman. You have the last word as I knew you would.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #39 - 05/08/18 at 22:22:30

NORM  I your case I can't see it making much sense ,In Dave's case he has a few bikes and may not ride the same one as often ,so It might make more sense. Dave said he hasn't had to clean his carb since he been doing this and he has bad gas , I've never had to clean my carb or rebuild it ,I run 87 (E-10) gas ,but it 's the only bike I have on the road . It doesn't sit more than a day or two during the riding season.As for having the last word ,I guess I'm an opinionated old fart, but I base my answer to my knowledge base (and I'm often wrong) but If your running gas with ethanol ,you might consider the fact that ethanol prefers to bind with water rather than gas. When you drop the level of the fuel in the bowl your exposing more surface area of the remaining fuel to outside air that enters through the bowl vents. the humidity in the air will be absorbed degrading you fuel ,and water being heaver that gas settles to the bottom of the bowl, this may form crud that could go into suspension when you refill the bowl and be carried into the jets , that is why I refrain from doing what you do. It may cause more harm than good.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #40 - 05/09/18 at 09:31:00

My bike sat all winter with a mostly full tank of gas and full float bowl.  All of my stuff does.  Every spring I fire my stuff up and use it.  Savage runs fine.  As a matter of fact, I don't even understand all this carb cleaning talk on here.  There isn't much to clean on these things if they haven't sucked up a bunch of rust from the tank or sat for several years.  Furthermore, most things that might be in there will just get mixed up and burnt as soon as it hits the combustion chamber.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 05/09/18 at 12:05:18

ohiomoto wrote on 05/09/18 at 09:31:00:
My bike sat all winter with a mostly full tank of gas and full float bowl.  All of my stuff does.  Every spring I fire my stuff up and use it.  Savage runs fine.  

There must be a huge difference in fuel quality in different areas of the country.

The lady that bought my Savage rescue bike 2 years ago called me last spring, as she could not get the bike started.  She doesn't winterize her bike.  I checked everything over, it had fuel, it had spark, it had compression.  Prior to putting the spark plug back in I put a bit of fuel in the cylinder.  When I put the bike back together it fired right up.  This year when she called, I explained to her husband how to drain the float bowl and allow some fresh fuel to flow through the carb - after they did that it started right up.

It is obvious to me that the fuel left in the carb for extended periods just doesn't work with the fuel we have in Kentucky (at least until July 1 when the reformulated fuel goes away).

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #42 - 05/09/18 at 22:44:31

I use Sta-bil in a full tank of gas to winterize, I also use clear packing tap to cover the keyhole in the gas cap to limit air flow in and out during winter temperature swings (some times hitting -25 degrees), and drain the carb bowl . this allows me to pull the plug in spring and clean and gap it if it needs it, and add a bit of oil to the cylinder.  Install the battery ,and the bike fires right up , take a short ride to heat up the oil ,then do a change ,and I'm ready for the season.

IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #43 - 05/14/18 at 19:29:37

Success!

Oil changed to Rotella T4 in 15w-40
Petcock changed to Yamaha Raptor
Carb recleaned
Float valve and float bowl gasket replaced

Started up after a dozen cranks and after petcock was switched to reserve position.  Would die within three minutes or so if I left petcock to on position but ran dependably with petcock to reserve position.  Thought I put at least 3/4 of a gallon in the tank so was suprised I had to leave it in reserve position.  Will completely fill up tank tomorrow and re-expiriment with the on position.

Still some pesky afterfiring when engine breaking, but from what I have read on this forum, some afterfiring is normal for a well-tuned Savage carb during abrupt throttle roll-offs.  But how do I know how much afterfiring is too much?  The noise itself doen't bother me at all.  But I don't want to do damage to my muffler.  I also hear a light but consistent "poof" when I turn off the engine.  Is the afterfiring and poofing upon turnoff a symptom of running too rich?  Should a slight tightning of the mixtire screw help reduce the afterfiring, or is that a mis-diagnosis of the cause?

Many thanks for everyone's input on this thread!  The bike is certainly in a better state than when I reached out for help.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #44 - 05/14/18 at 22:15:54

A poof at shut down is normal, afterfire (backfire out the muffler) isn't caused by to much fuel, it's caused by being to lean. when you close the throttle and your slowing ,if you hear a light popping or gurgle that's normal sound if your well tuned, if your hearing a louder backfire you need to retune the carb.backfires won't harm your exhaust unless they are awfully strong.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:31:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Problem on my RYCA Cafe Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.