Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Engine Problem on my RYCA Cafe Conversion (Read 505 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Engine Problem on my RYCA Cafe Conversion
Reply #15 - 05/04/18 at 11:20:09

what was your reason for changing the pilot ? engine mods? elevation? what size did you install?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #16 - 05/04/18 at 17:22:54

I have a 55 pilot jet and 152.5 main jet.  This change was called for by the RYCA conversion instructions due to the type of muffler and air filter that were swapped in place of stock muffler and filter.  

Elevation in my area is about 600 feet.  The jet combo I have in there was performing well before I encountered the sudden engine failure that I am currently troubleshooting.

Raptor petcock arrives Monday, so will replace that and pull the carb to check float mechanism early next week.

Still researching what I should be looking/checking for on the float mechanism, so any suggestions on that are welcomed!

I also discovered that the source of the gas expulsion during start attempts after engine failure was almost surely from the carb vent tubes, which makes me even more strongly suspect there may be an issue with my float valve.

« Last Edit: 05/06/18 at 19:39:42 by caferacer »  
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 05/04/18 at 22:26:29

the float valve tip can be worn ,this is seen as a ring around the tip of the valve. The float valve seat (which just pulls out once you remove the screw holding the plate) has an O-ring on the outside , to stop any flow around the valve . The float could have a hole in it shake it ,to detect fuel  , or place it in warm water to look for air bubbles. the float level should be 1.02 inches measured from the flange (without the gasket) to the highest point of the rounded float. if the float valve doesn't seat the level  will keep rising in the float bowl and would flood out the vents
        I would not pay strict attention to what Ryca suggests for jets ,as they don't even know about the spacer mod (you should read up, it 's in the Tech Section.

IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #18 - 05/05/18 at 08:33:03

Thanks batman. That gives me a much better idea about what to look for while inspecting the float valve.

I think this is this the spacer mod that you mention:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1104205157

When I did the carb mods, I just followed the instructions in this RYCA video:
https://youtu.be/rFFuF9QZ4IM

The spacer mod is addressed at 3:56, so I think I'm all set there, but will read up more in the tech section to make sure my spacer is set up ideally.

« Last Edit: 05/06/18 at 19:41:27 by caferacer »  
  IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #19 - 05/06/18 at 09:01:58

Ok.  Pulled the carb.  No leaks in float.  Here is my float valve tip.  What do yall think...ok or need to replace?

IMG_20180506_110026_137.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 05/06/18 at 10:27:08

Is that a rubber tip? not use to seeing that ,I can't remember ,but I think mine is all metal .  before you buy new,you might try testing it by hooking up the fuel line to the carb,with the bowl off, and try holding up the float (gently) to see if the valve holds . but generally the tip should be cone shape , that makes the entire length of the cone a sealing surface ,where as the tip your showing here can only seal the width of that small grove. A new  valve comes as a matched set the valve ,seat and the O-ring for the outside of the seat. I think I'd go new.

IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #21 - 05/06/18 at 10:35:20

Thanks batman.  Yes, it is a rubber tip.

But my last question about the valve tip is probably moot now that my float bowl gasket is toast...see pic.   I've ordered this carb repair kit that includes the bowl gasket, float valve, and other parts:

https://www.amazon.com/Boulevard-Carburetor-Niche-Cycle-Supply/dp/B06XS1KCVW
« Last Edit: 05/06/18 at 18:25:12 by caferacer »  

IMG_20180506_122541_448.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 05/06/18 at 13:33:44

If that is a round ridge in the rubber......the float valve looks crappy to me.  It should be a smooth rubber cone without ridges.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #23 - 05/06/18 at 14:00:58

Well dang it!  I just tried to remove the screw that secures the port for the float valve, and it stripped on me.  I could feel that it was tight so I made sure to use a screw driver that fit deep and snug but nevertheless.  Any ideas about how to get this screw out of there or am I just screwed (pun intended).  A sense of humor is about as good as I can do at the moment.  Will research "screw extraction" whilst I wait for the wise to weigh in here.
« Last Edit: 05/06/18 at 18:24:10 by caferacer »  

IMG_20180506_155431_072.jpg
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #24 - 05/06/18 at 14:41:17

Can you get hold of it with Channel lock pliers or vice grips.
Or perhaps penetrating oil overnight with a bit of heat, hair dryer?

Carbs are very expensive! Good luck.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 05/06/18 at 15:05:32

Do you own a set of JIS screwdrivers?  The screws on a Japanese bike are not Phillips....they are JIS.  (See that little dot stamped into the top of the screw head.....that is the clue it is JIS).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwVUZr5xxQ

At this point you can try to get a hold of the outside of the screw with vice grips.

If that doesn't work you might be able to cut a slot with a hacksaw, and use a flat blade screwdriver.

If that doesn't work you can drill the head off.  The threaded portion won't be tight in the carb body, and once the head is off you should be able to back the threaded portion out easily.

If none of that sounds reasonable....send it to me and I will get it out for you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
caferacer
YaBB Newbies

Nashville, TN
Reply #26 - 05/06/18 at 18:15:21

Hot dang!  So I took a mini hacksaw and very carefully cut a straight slice into the head of the screw and used a flat screw driver (with some penetrating oil) to pop that sucker out.  Float valve filter was totally clean.

Lesson of the story I guess is get a JIS screwdriver set and use penetrating oil BEFORE stripping the screw.

The OEM screw replacement is only $1.99, so I am relieved this mistake was not more costly.

HUGE THANKS Dave!
« Last Edit: 05/07/18 at 06:55:30 by caferacer »  

IMG_20180506_200726_099.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 05/06/18 at 19:24:22

very carefully cut a straight slice into the head of the screw

Yes you did..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #28 - 05/07/18 at 11:29:52

Caferacer,
Talking about the ring around your float valve needle. Both Dave and I switch off our Raptor petcock a certain distance from home to empty the float bowl before parking the bike. This of course, drops the float relieving the pressure on the tip of the valve, which we hope will give it a much longer life. Also helping to prevent the float bowl from "crudding" up with evaporated fuel.

We are so smart we can't stand ourselves. Grin

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 05/07/18 at 16:01:05

I don't know for sure but I think less fuel in the float will evaporate faster than a full bowl

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:01:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Problem on my RYCA Cafe Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.