blinker stuck on (Read 170 times)
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
blinker stuck on
04/29/18 at 06:43:14

My left blinker has all of a sudden stuck on. It's an LED so the resister almost burnt the bike down. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: blinker stuck on
Reply #1 - 04/29/18 at 08:00:21

We really can't track down an electrical issue without being there.....and so little information.

Does anything change with the ignition switch on/off?  (The left electrical control where the switch is located shouldn't be getting power if the ignition switch is turned off).

If the issue is occurring with the ignition switch off.....you likely have some bare/pinched/shorted wires somewhere.  Have you removed and reinstalled the fuel tank/seat or something where you might have pinched wires?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
Reply #2 - 04/29/18 at 08:16:54

with the key off everything is off. turn the key on and the blinker stays on (left) key in park it goes out. At one point everything worked as it should, then one day I noticed the Left directional on, hit the switch, nothing, put the right directional on and it blinked, left stayed on. bike will run like this NOW turn key on and left blinker stays on and right DOESN'T blink when told too. I made the mistake of leaving the bike idleing and smoke came from under the seat. unpinned the seat and took it off and the resister was smoking. fixed all that and nothing has changed.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 04/29/18 at 08:43:26

I'd be checking your wiring at the turn signal again. be sure you hooked the turn signal to the power coming from the flasher unit(light-green?) and not the (gray?) running light wire that would send constant power to it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
Reply #4 - 04/29/18 at 08:52:43

But it all worked at one time for a month , now it's stuck. I guess I'll recheck for  short

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/29/18 at 08:54:04

check the wires running to the headlight.
the hole in the shell  is small and there's some flexing there.
I'd replace the flasher with an electronic one and ditch the resisters.

WWW   IP Logged
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
Reply #6 - 04/29/18 at 10:28:51

Some here said to replace the flasher. Where would I get one?. ALSO: I'd like to put pics of the bike up, but it says they're too big. I don't know how to shrink the size. MB gigs etc.

IP Logged
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
Reply #7 - 04/29/18 at 10:29:56

I'd like to ditch the resistors

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #8 - 04/29/18 at 10:49:42

This flasher unit is a straight swap for the stock one - it plugs right in, and mounts in the same spot. I've run both halogen and LED turn signals off this unit.

The link below is to the unit I bought here in Australia, but it'll give you an idea what you're looking for, which is a 2-Pin electronic flasher relay. The specs are listed in the ad.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Pin-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-FIX-Motorcycle...

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 04/29/18 at 12:07:57

I guess my question would be what did you do with the wires and connectors that use to power the front running lights? If you just left them inside the headlight they may have shifted over time and contacted the pos. wire going to the turn signal . LED's are polarity sensitive , ( if hook up backward they wont light) there fore you must have a  the ground and pos. hooked up correctly , but for the pos . you have a steady feed and I can only think of two sources ,one of the running light wires or the headlight wire itself, and be cross connecting the feed to your turn signal.

IP Logged
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
Reply #10 - 04/29/18 at 16:56:30

Ya, it's a pissa, something changed.you guys are the best. I'll let you know what happened.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 04/29/18 at 17:59:32

In the meantime,... three lefts equal a right... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Reply #12 - 04/30/18 at 11:14:38

Easy LED flasher swap - I used superbrightLEDs.com LF1-S. Swaps out for the stock, used stock bracket/holder, uses stock plug. Was able to swap it out without removing the tank in about 5 minutes. I have all LEDs so it was a better solution than the inline resistors.

Dumb question - could your signal switch on the handlebar be stuck on?

-RH

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 04/30/18 at 21:52:52

I've never mentioned this before but along time back I removed all the wiring from my headlight housing ,preferring to wire the turn signals directly . thus running only the three wires needed for the headlight in the housing . To think that the wires inside where protected from weather is wrong ,rain will find it way past the  headlight and not drain well with all the wires plugging the opening entrance .The electric system is the weakest link of a motorcycle, and the weakest part of the system is the connectors,  the front turn signals have 6 single connectors ,that's 12 wire ends all jammed into the back of the housing, that can loosen or corrode, If I Have a problem I can be sure it's a bad bulb (filament ) rather than a wiring problem .All lighting on my bike is wired in this manner . Major components are still using stock connectors due to the need for testing , but lights are seldom removed ,and could be  tested at the bulb socket. Much like switching to a Raptor petcock ,it's better to deal with a problem before it happens ,than as it happens.

IP Logged
Beggaa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Smithfield ri
Reply #14 - 05/01/18 at 03:55:10

I was thinking maybe the switch was stuck. gonna get rid of the resistors then check that out

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:06:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › blinker stuck on

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.