Broken Motor Mount (Read 85 times)
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Broken Motor Mount
04/24/18 at 20:03:39

Hey All, Just a question about a broken motor mount on the top of the motor. I bought this used low milage bike that had been in an accident. Bought it promarily for the motor and the frame with a clean title.

With that, I have been using the bike as a mock-up for mods to my rider and I found today that the upper motor mount on the head was completely broken. Question, can I get it welded? Can it be welded with out removing the head, if motor is off frame? Or is it just better to get another head and replace it?

Motor has 9800 miles on it and runs, just not tested on the road.

IMG_2485.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Broken Motor Mount
Reply #1 - 04/25/18 at 04:23:59

Yes you can get it welded, and removing the head cover to get it welded will also give you an opportunity to put in a Versy head plug and inspect the cam/rockers for wear.

Or.....you can clean the area really well, then put a heat shrink tube on the through bolt and apply JB Weld to replace the broken area.  Put large washers on the end to form the edges of the JB Weld.  Position the engine so the broken area is straight up, and then apply the JB Weld to build up the area.  JB Weld continues to flow for a considerable length of time, and you may need to use some modeling clay to build up the edges of the repair area to prevent the JB Weld from flowing out of the repair area.  After the JB Weld has cured for a full day you can pull the bolt out of the heat shrink tubing, then take a pair of pliers and roll the tubing out of the JB Weld.....as the JB Weld does not stick to the smooth tubing very well.  Then take the washers off the side....you may have to heat them up a bit to get the JB Weld to release.  Then sand/file/grind the JB Weld to create a decent looking surface, and paint it silver (or use it as-is since the tank and mount will probably hide it).  (I did this repair to a Ninja engine that I bought from a crashed bike......and it is still working fine).  

Or......you likely can just use it as-is if you are on a budget.  The top clamp will still have pretty good hold once the bolt is tightened....and there are 4 other motor mount bolts to hold the engine in the frame.

Or.....you can buy another head cover (although I believe they are machined in a set and should be used as a pair).

NOTE:  I would never put a used engine in a bike without taking the head cover off, inspecting the cam/rockers.....or resealing the head plug and the head cover.  It is just so much easier to do that when the engine is out of the frame.

« Last Edit: 04/25/18 at 08:18:45 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 04/25/18 at 08:07:04

Dave, Thanks for the suggestion. I never though of a JB fix. Since it's all there, might be able to make it even more simple with a bond and graft a reinforcment sort of sleeve over it. Plan for motor is to put a plug in and a cam chain fix. As for now the whole thing is used just as a mock up platform.
I had a discussion last week with Fast650 about a downtube stretch and looking over what's involved is where I discovered this. That's why you you guys are so valuable for insight.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 04/25/18 at 08:49:27

SoC, if you are still planning to do the frame stretch you might want to go with having that welded. The frame on a Savage is made from really thin tubing, about the same thickness as exhaust pipe. That top mount ties the engine to the frame and stiffens the entire assembly.  

With a frame stretch, and the required longer mount plates, the leverage applied will be different. I would have it welded just for the peace of mind knowing that it will be stronger.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 04/25/18 at 09:54:51

Thanks Fast. Back to my initial thought was, would it be better to remove the head for a weld or could you leave it on the motor. I'm kind of bad about tearing things apart and getting them back together right away. When I finish the first round of mods and move them off to my other bike I will address further disassembly on this whole thing. Weather here in Jersey is turning next week so It's time to start thinking in terms of can ride daily soon.

As another question, where did you cut the backbone on frame for your mod? You made mention of doing it nearer to the seat.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 04/25/18 at 09:56:29

SoC wrote on 04/24/18 at 20:03:39:
I bought this used low mileage bike that had been in an accident.
---------------------------------

To me, this screams that this frame has been sprung, tweaked or twisted in some way.  The way the headstay has been pulled that far off the motor doesn't look right.  I would start by loosening the bolts to see if the mounting plates drop anywhere near the original mounting positoin.  If it does, then take the head off and get it welded.  You can try JB weld, but I'm not sure it will withstand the sort of vibrations the top of the motor goes through.  Especially if the frame is sprung.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #6 - 04/25/18 at 10:54:45

SoC, if you look at the picture of the downtube being welded in, the red and blue hoses are draped right over top of where I cut it. It is right by the rear tank mount.

As to welding the head cover, I would talk to the welder and see what he thinks will work best for him.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #7 - 04/25/18 at 13:47:44

ohiomoto wrote on 04/25/18 at 09:56:29:
To me, this screams that this frame has been sprung, tweaked or twisted in some way.  The way the headstay has been pulled that far off the motor doesn't look right.  I would start by loosening the bolts to see if the mounting plates drop anywhere near the original mounting positoin.  If it does, then take the head off and get it welded.  You can try JB weld, but I'm not sure it will withstand the sort of vibrations the top of the motor goes through.  Especially if the frame is sprung.

My thought as well.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/25/18 at 14:57:51

If I was going to weld it I'd want it off the bike.  A lot of time on castings guys will pre-heat and often time have a hard time getting it all cleaned properly for welding.  I'd probably not even try to weld on the little broken piece but instead just build up a new section and clean it up and re-drill.  All good reasons to have it off the bike.  

I don't JB weld is going to hold up so I wouldn't even try it.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 04/25/18 at 20:10:42

Again thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to comment. So maybe the JB fix is questionable, I'm not dismissing it, particularly if re-inforced, but that wasn't my intent in asking the original question. My concern was if the weld was done on the motor with the head attached could/would there, might be issues, with heat or with grounding the entire block with the head attached for welding purposes. Though I have a decent mig welder and hack at it, I not a certified tech and lack the intricate knowledge and skill to take this on myself.

So again, thanks to all.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/26/18 at 04:25:19

If you want to weld it.....definitely remove it from the cylinder head.  The heat from welding could damage the rubber sealing washers on the studs, or the sealant between the head and head cover.  And as others have said.....preheating the part prior to welding does allow for better welds on aluminum.  The head also needs to be cleaned really well so the weld will be good, and the heat won't bake all the dirt/oil into the head.

For the mockup....you could just use the engine as-is.....there is enough of the bolt hole left to provide a guide to where the bolt should be.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:21:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken Motor Mount

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.