Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New S40 Owner... many questions... (Read 215 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: New S40 Owner... many questions...
Reply #15 - 04/26/18 at 15:16:49

All you have to do is adjust the idle as low as it will go. Then turn the idle mixture screw in or out to find the highest speed, this will be the best mixture for idling. Usually the engine will try to die as the screw is turned in, turning it out will increase the idle speed up to a certain point. If you end up turning the screw out more than about 3 turns you probably need a larger pilot jet to get it set to optimum. (he ideal number of turns out is 2) Then reset the idle to not less than 1100-1200 RPM.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #16 - 04/27/18 at 03:24:54

Tune it to the point, if you rev it in neutral, and then drop the throttle, it almost cuts out. Mine is set to nearly 1400 rpm. That works for my elevation, and atmospheric conditions. You just don't want it cutting out if you pull up hard in traffic.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/27/18 at 04:18:09

drannonb wrote on 04/26/18 at 14:25:00:
So I've never done what you're describing here.  Let me see if I understand.  I turn the idle speed screw down until just before the engine stalls out, and then turn the fuel mix screw counterclockwise(?) until... what exactly?  Will the engine rev up?  What am I looking/listening for exactly?  Still a little confused as to what will actually happen when I do that...

You are listening for the "tone" and speed of the idle.  Turn the speed way down.....around 800 rpm.  Then move the screw in and listen to the speed - as the screw goes in the engine should begin slowing down and it may even stall.  (If you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine still runs smoothly - your pilot jet is too big).  Then turn the screw out and the speed should increase, and at some point the engine should sound "fat".....the sound of an rich mixture is just a bit less different - the engine may begin to slow down.  (If the screw goes out more than 2.5 turns without sounding fat.....the pilot jet is too small).  The ideal mixture is somewhere between the lean and rich positions and should provide a smooth/even idle.  If you find the bike pops and bangs excessively and makes a loud bang when you turn it off....you can try opening the screw another 1/4 turn and see if it helps - but don't open it much more than that or the bike will run too rich.

Then.....adjust the idle speed back up to 1,100 - 1,200 rpm - high enough to keep good oil pressure at idle and prevent the bike from stalling when you close the throttle quickly.

These videos may help.....the Savage has a "fuel" mixture screw and turning it out makes the mixture richer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxpQjDQzX7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/04/18 at 06:11:21

So just out of curiosity, you all keep giving the same advice, and that's great that means a consensus. My question is what is your starting point for the air screw?

You keep mentioning turning down the idle, well what if someone already mucked with the air screw... where should it be before you start adjusting idle? Because as you all have mentioned, mucking with the air screw also mucks with the idle.

Or does it not matter at all?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 05/04/18 at 06:18:54

On any carb.....I always use 1.5 turns out from lightly seated as my starting point for carb adjustments.

Mikuni claims that when doing the carb adjustment.......if you have to turn the screw out more than 2 turns to get a smooth idle - you need a larger pilot jet.  If the screw is out less than 1.5 turns to get a smooth idle.....you need a smaller pilot jet.

There may be a bit more leeway than that for our mildly tuned street bike - however you should never turn the screw out more than 3 turns as the tapered portion of the needle is out so far that additional turns won't make any difference....and you need a larger pilot jet - and it you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine still runs....your pilot jet is definitely too big and you need a smaller pilot jet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/04/18 at 06:58:36

Dave wrote on 05/04/18 at 06:18:54:
On any carb.....I always use 1.5 turns out from lightly seated as my starting point for carb adjustments.

Perfect, thank you. I just bought a bike and it's had a lot done to it... a lot of the stuff listed here, in fact. I still can't identify the carb, but it's definitely already had the air box deleted and whatnot. I just wanted to know what my starting point was because I wanted to learn. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:32:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New S40 Owner... many questions...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.