Send Topic Print
Rear Fender (Read 358 times)
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Rear Fender
Reply #15 - 04/20/18 at 08:03:44

Sure. You cut out the the section of frame downtube where the red arrows are. Then you replace that with a longer tube (the shiny part in the picture) and weld it in.  I think it was just over 2 inches longer for mine. That compensated for half the amount that the forks were extended. The stretch raises the steering neck and slightly tilts it back. The combination of that achieved a slight rake which was enough to level the bike then.

Downtube.jpg
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #16 - 04/20/18 at 08:49:19

After I did post, found a tutorial online about it. I want to look into this a little more and may have some questions for you in the future if you don't mind.

When you cut frame and add the length where is compensation in the frame structure to allow for the lengthing? How do you get the increase distance in front part of frame to add the longer tube?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #17 - 04/20/18 at 10:24:22

The usual method is to make a pie cut in the top of the frame backbone, about 3/4 of the way through. The weight of the bike will bend the tube(s) and close the gap. The closer to the seat that you make that cut, the smaller the cut needs to be. On mine it was just the width of the saw blade. When satisfied with how the bike sits, just weld it up and you are good to go.

If you decide to try something like this, remember that the backbone will be raised from stock. Your gas tank may need to be raised in the back afterward, and the top motor mount plates will be too short so you get to make new ones.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 19:27:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Fender

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.