Rear Fender (Read 357 times)
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Rear Fender
04/17/18 at 08:57:08

Quick question, sorry I know I have seen some discussion on this. Does anyone know of a rear fender like this that they recommend or have worked with. Looking to lose the swallow tail and get a more wrap around look. Plan to mount it on frame like stock, not hard-tail, keeping the swing arm so it has to allow for the travel of shock underneath.

I am having trouble getting the search panel to work for me to try and look through the archives.

Untitled_028.jpg
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear Fender
Reply #1 - 04/17/18 at 09:55:47

If you are going with a stock tire Blue Collar Bobbers will sell you just the fender they offer, or whatever parts you need.  They don't require you purchase a whole kit and you don't need to use the bolt-on bracket if you have other ideas.

https://bluecollarbobbers.com/
https://bluecollarbobbers.com/suzuki-savage-s40/

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/17/18 at 10:04:45

Trailer fenders have a very boxy looking cross section - they don't really look very good on a motorcycle with a rounder tread profile.

You would be better off finding a motorcycle fender.

Go to the "Bike Builds" section...and look through those threads.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 04/17/18 at 15:16:57

J&P cycles HD reproduction rear fender # 7110310  -$107.99

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 04/17/18 at 22:01:34

Batman, I saw that fender when looking, on JP site. They have that "will part fit feature" and when I entered the '03' LS650 it said it wouldn't fit. It is close but possibly a little wide. Have you fit one of these? It has the look I am seeking. I did see a Fender on Highway Hawk site that looks like it could be a possibility also.

Fender_page.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/18/18 at 02:53:31

SoC wrote on 04/17/18 at 22:01:34:
Batman, I saw that fender when looking, on JP site. They have that "will part fit feature" and when I entered the '03' LS650 it said it wouldn't fit.  

That "will fit" feature is most likely only usable when a part is "bolt on" and requires no adapting or fabricating.

You need to look at the dimensions they provide, and see if it will fit the width and curve of the back tire you are going to use.  If the fender is a little big......you could use a 140/90-15 tire.

« Last Edit: 04/18/18 at 17:17:12 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #6 - 04/18/18 at 06:53:59

I have two LS650 bobbers.  One with the Blue collar bobber fender and the stock 140/80 tire which you have to have to use that fender and it looks great.  The other had a brand new Dunlop 140/90 tire on it so (until the tire wears out) I have an eleven dollar trailer fender from Northern Hydraulics.  Both are professionally painted and both get all kinds of attention.  Completely different looks but both look good.  I think it is the 7 inch fender.  Cheap but looks good.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/18/18 at 07:06:03

The stock 140/80-15 tire size means you can only buy the IRC tire, and it is not all that good.

A 130/90-15 tire is very close to the original size - it is just a few mm narrower when mounted on the Savage rim, and the diameter is just a little bit bigger.  The Blue Collar Bobber fender will likely still work with the 130/90-15.....it may be necessary to extend the struts a bit if the clearance is not adequate.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 04/18/18 at 08:12:23

Thanks for all the info. One thing with the bobber fenders is they are on a hard tail or mounted to move with swing arm. I'm looking to mount like the orignal fender and have the swing arm travel up and down under it.

The look I'm thinking is like the rear fender on a bagger but without the bags on side. And a little shorter, not as low in the rear. Would like to mount tail light and license plate holder on the back of it. Sort of like the line added in picture.

Fender_line.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 04/18/18 at 11:13:48

SoC,  Dave  is right ,you need to look at dimensions . (will fit- only tells what models the part is designed to fit) I am running a HD rear fender for a full size Harley, and a front fender off an early HD sportster ,that being said ,they both required that I custom mount them.In my case I used only the rear 2/3 of the HD fender ,grafting it to the front 1/3 0f the stock fender ( the seam falling behind the shocks) to make mounting to the frame ,and remounting custom side fender braces easier and somewhat stronger.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 04/19/18 at 09:24:26

Batman, That was my thought that I might need to conglom something together. I have an extra stock fender for just that sort of thing. When you say "graft", how did you do that? Would like to see picture.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #11 - 04/19/18 at 09:55:36

If you are going for the Harley fender look but wish to stay with Suzuki parts, the rear fender from a 1400 Intruder is easy to adapt. It is 1/2 inch wider, so if you want to keep the fender rails you will have to mill off 1/4 inch from each side to compensate for the extra width. And you will have to cut the fender to clear the drive belt.

Savage_with_1400_Intruder_Fender.jpg
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #12 - 04/19/18 at 21:43:11

Fast, When I looked online I did note some other Suzuki OEM fenders on different models that looked interseting and that they might be close enough to possibly work. From the picture is there is some mod to the front end of the bike?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #13 - 04/19/18 at 22:50:29

It has extended tubes, with a downtube stretch to keep the bike sitting level. Doing a stretch rather than a rake changed the rake by less than half what a rake only would be, so steering geometry is still very near stock.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #14 - 04/20/18 at 07:43:02

Fast, I am not familiar with what a down tube stretch is or involves. Could you give a quick explain? Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:15:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Fender

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.