Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goodbye Reformulated Fuel! (Read 100 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Goodbye Reformulated Fuel!
04/17/18 at 04:38:16

Many years ago the Cincinnati metro area was cursed with reformulated fuel.  This was done to satisfy the EPA and allow the area to keep receiving Federal Funds for road projects.  The 3 northern KY counties of Campbell, Kenton and Boone Counties for some reason were "voluntarily" included in the program.

The reformulated fuel is going away on July 1, 2018 - the newpaper article stated that newer cars are more fuel efficient and cleaner running, and the benefits of the more expensive reformulated fuel are no longer necessary.  (Recently I have started to buy fuel in Clermont County, Ohio as the fuel can be 20 - 30 cents a gallon cheaper than it is in KY).

Now.....if we could just get rid of the ethanol!

https://www.lanereport.com/81338/2017/09/state-requests-to-opt-out-of-reformu...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Goodbye Reformulated Fuel!
Reply #1 - 04/17/18 at 08:12:34

if we could just get rid of the ethanol!

Please let it happen, soon
Stop the Stupid!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 04/17/18 at 08:57:32

Dave, are you talking flex fuel?

My new truck can run on it, but I can't find it.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/17/18 at 09:45:55

raydawg wrote on 04/17/18 at 08:57:32:
Dave, are you talking flex fuel?

My new truck can run on it, but I can't find it.

No.....Flex Fuel is E85 - which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.  You aren't likely to find it in rural areas - we have a few stations northern Kentucky that carry it.  Your fuel mileage will drop significantly when using it.

All of the fuel sold in this area is E10, which is 10% ethanol and 90" gasoline.  The only way you can avoid it here is to buy fuel at a Marina that carries pure gasoline - or go to a Country Mark store in Indiana that has a 90+ fuel that does not contain any ethanol (a 1.5 hour round trip for me).

Reformulated fuel is made differently that conventional gasoline and burns cleaner - but it more expensive.  Here is a list of where it is used, and thankfully the "opt in" counties in KY are not going to be on the list after July 1st.

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/reformulated-gasoline
Reformulated fuel

Here are our current fuel prices:

Gas Prices Unleaded  $2.659
Plus                         $2.959
Premium                  $3.259
E-85                        $2.059
Auto Diesel               $2.999
Kerosene                  $3.899

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 04/17/18 at 09:51:50

Ok, thanks....

BTW, my truck can't get worse MPG than it already does  Embarrassed

Wasn't unleaded fuel suppose to be cheaper to make originally?
I seem to recall that was one of the sales pitches.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/17/18 at 09:57:54

I don't believe that unleaded fuel was supposed to be cheaper - they took the lead out as they determined it is poisonous to the environment.

The lead was in the fuel as a knock suppressant - when the lead was removed they had to improve the octane using other methods, and the price went up.

The ethanol came about in an effort to reduce the need for importing fuel from other countries - the government wanted us to be less dependent on foreign oil.  They don't seem to care that it doesn't work well in old farm equipment, old cars and motorcycles, and doesn't store well.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 04/17/18 at 10:41:05

I really don't care about using E-10 ( except that making alcohol isn't any cheaper than gas so it doesn't make any sense)it only causes a 3 1/3 % drop in mileage /hp and I can live with that. It's found everywhere ,And my stock engine doesn't seem to perform or get higher mileage using anything "better".

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/17/18 at 12:31:08

batman wrote on 04/17/18 at 10:41:05:
I really don't care about using E-10.

I don't have a problem with it in modern, fuel injected, computerized engines - it works fine in them....they were likely made to use it.

The E10 causes a lot of problems for those folks that have antique cars, motorcycles, farm equipment, lawn equipment - anything that can go for extended periods without being used......some of the rubber parts in the fuel system disintegrate when they aren't driven enough to keep the E10 fuel fresh.

When the E10 fuel first started being used in this area my uncle had a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 and a Plymouth Superbird.  Each spring when we went to start them up - the carb would leak and we had to replace the accelerator pump diaphragm.  It turned out that the diaphragm was dissolved by the E10 each winter.  We also had the rubber fuel hoses on mowers, tillers, snow blowers dissolving and turning into sticky taffy hoses.....they were getting dissolved (we now use the yellow Tygon fuel lines on lawn equipment).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/17/18 at 16:38:06

Just because they have technology to keep it from screwing things up doesn't make it smart.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 04/17/18 at 19:18:26

Ray

My wife's Impala is E-85 compliant , (07 model) .   So on E-10 she gets 30.5 to 32.0 mpg .   On E-85 she gets 24 to 26 mpg.    Short trips or long trips ... (3.5L engine)

Over all  , it cost about the same per/mile to use either one of them.  Roll Eyes

But

It is sposed to make us feel better to use E-85 !  Grin

But , I do separate my "Recyclables" trash from the rest of the stuff .  Really !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 04/18/18 at 16:33:52

We have a Love station in town that sells pure gas only.
I have 8-10 gas can that hold 5 or 6 gallons each and fill them with regular and premium fuel and add Stabil.  I use then to fill motorcycle tanks and lawn mowers, etc.
They last 6+ months.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 04/19/18 at 08:39:58

For days now,... every time I read the thread title, "Goodbye Reformulated Fuel"... I get "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" stuck in my head...
... and I like it... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 04:41:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Goodbye Reformulated Fuel!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.