Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Harleyless
04/14/18 at 07:43:52

Well I done it !    I'm officially Harleyless as of Thursday afternoon .  Wink

Now , my heavy bike is 412# Moto Guzzi V-7 , w/hard bags and shield.  Smiley

I might be headed for a "Moped or Scooter" in 20 years ?    Grin

Lets just hope it don't turn out like that Japanese video of the Ageing  guys all having all manner of health issues and in pitifully shapes  , till one of them gets up and says " Let's Ride Motorcycles !!! "

Then they drag their old CB-125's out of the garage and wash the dust off them !   Do ya suppose ridding a 125 across Japan would be " Kin " to ridding a 650 across America ?  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Harleyless
Reply #1 - 04/14/18 at 09:18:41

I sold my Sportster a few months ago because of the weight too.
Adding that beefed up frame to handle the iso mount engine, and extra 50 lbs, just put it over the line.
I don't like having to think about slope directions when I park.

I bought an S50 Suzuki to replace it... 470lb instead of 580lb...
..and it's faster.

But now I have it up for sale too.
Goin' Savage solo for while.
The V7 is on my wish list,... but I need a bargain.
I'll have to wait a couple of years for used prices to drop on the newer models with refined trannies.

Good choice... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/14/18 at 10:54:29

MM/Bot:

Glad you both were able to sell your Harleys - I guess there are still a few folks who want to buy and ride them out there.

I went on my first group ride of the year yesterday.....it was fun and made me hopeful about my future riding.  I have only recently hooked up with this group, and my 62 years makes me the youngster in this group - the group is all 10 - 15 years older than me.

The bikes included 2 Valkyries, 2 Goldwings, 2 ST1300s, 2 vintage big Harleys, a BMW F800R, 1 Suzuki Boulevard, a big Moto Guzzi, and a 61 BMW with a sidecar....and I am sure I am forgetting a few bikes.

All of the fellows rode very well, and had no problems riding the big, heavy bikes.  We weren't burning up the corners - but we rode at the speed limits and were not holding up traffic.

It is reassuring to know I have the potential for many years of riding ahead - I need to eat right, exercise, and get plenty of rest!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 04/14/18 at 11:01:16

The V7 is on my wish list,... but I need a bargain.  

Things you may or may-not know :  In 2017 the V-7 got a lot more computer.
                                                     In 2017 the Stone model lost the tachometer ,
I have a 2016 Stone (mag.-wheels) and wouldn't miss the Tachometer if it were gone.
The 2017 modle and newer have a Hemi Head and a few extra HP ...  Roll Eyes , the 2014-2016 models have more than nessary ...   Wink

newer models with refined trannies.   ?

Mine is a 6 speed and shifts good as anything I've ever had .  Cool , If the Traction Control is turned off it will wheelie in that low first gear ... some times I take off in second .  

I've been calling 7000 rpm "Red-Line" (it's not marked) and rarely get over 5000 rpm .    In 6th gear 5000 = the high side of 80mph

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/14/18 at 11:04:33

Thanks, MM... did they go to a 6 spd at some point?...

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 04/14/18 at 11:40:47

Dave , that sounds like a good bunch of fellers you found !   Fast enough to be fun but with :No Blood" and "No Tickets"  Wink

I'm met some of the same type in the CMAUSA group , but not many.

Mostly , they are "Rolling Road Block" just happy to be in the wind and calling 150 miles a long day ride !

Is any of your new group got any advice for us for a Black-Hills ride ?

norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 04/14/18 at 13:08:25

I've never owned a Harley mainly because of the weight but also the cost. I had a Triumph Bonneville T100 for 11 years but decided 500 lbs was a bit too much to push around, so bought a Suzuki S40 and don't regret it. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 04/14/18 at 21:46:51

Ok,I'll try to tread gently,I said I'll try. There is still quite a few members that own a Harley and I think most have some questions to ask,even if most wouldn't ask. So let's just say I got some questions to ask about how you feel about selling your Harley's.
1) How long have you owned your Harley(s) ?
2) How many miles you rode your Harley (s) ?
3) Did you get asking price ? Or Did you take the first offer ?
4) Did you get bummed out about selling your Harley ? Or Did you deliver the bike with your p/u truck for no charge ? How did your p/u truck feel about it ?
5) How do you feel about saying "I used own a Harley" ? Or do you avoid saying it ?
6) Are you planning any tattoo removal ? Or just wear long sleeves ?
7) Is ego part of your soul ? Or is soul part of your ego ?
8) Is there any physical pain or swelling or shrinkage ?
9) Are you feeling nutless or neutered ?

By answering these questions honestly you could help others contemplating selling there Harley too ! Please honest answers only.

« Last Edit: 04/14/18 at 23:14:26 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 04/15/18 at 03:30:25

At the bike show in NYC I went to the HD booth and talked to the guys. Told him I thought their bikes were quite handsome, and are nice highway bikes, but that the big twins weigh 200+ pounds too much. He said, "We sell a lot of bikes." No interest in listening to me.
Went to the Indian booth. Talked to the guys. Told them the 'Tracker' concept bike was awesome. If it was able to carry hard bags and sport tour, I'd buy one. Keep the weight under 450. He asked "So, if we made a light weight sport touring bike on the Scout platform, you'd be interested?"
You bet.
Guess which company is doing better lately, and which is losing sales?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 04/15/18 at 04:09:35

Years ago I spent a lot of effort doing up an '89 4 speed Sporty. Stainless Supertrapp 2-1, Screaming Eagle A/F, brake work, suspension, etc. Prob knocked 50-75 lbs off of stock, so the bike was in the low to mid 400s.
When the rubber mounted Sporties came out, they weighed 60 lbs more. Shook my head.
Thought about doing a 2000-2003 XL1200S. Already had high compression, cams, twin plug, etc. Wet weight 510lbs. Figured that with a lot of money and effort  could get it to 425 lbs. Just couldn't convince myself.
Then the Savage project came along.
Goal is under 300 lbs. Maybe 35-40 HP.
We'll see.....

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 04/15/18 at 06:24:32

Ruttly wrote on 04/14/18 at 21:46:51:
Ok,I'll try to tread gently,I said I'll try. There is still quite a few members that own a Harley and I think most have some questions to ask,even if most wouldn't ask. So let's just say I got some questions to ask about how you feel about selling your Harley's.
1) How long have you owned your Harley(s) ?
2) How many miles you rode your Harley (s) ?
3) Did you get asking price ? Or Did you take the first offer ?
4) Did you get bummed out about selling your Harley ? Or Did you deliver the bike with your p/u truck for no charge ? How did your p/u truck feel about it ?
5) How do you feel about saying "I used own a Harley" ? Or do you avoid saying it ?
6) Are you planning any tattoo removal ? Or just wear long sleeves ?
7) Is ego part of your soul ? Or is soul part of your ego ?
8) Is there any physical pain or swelling or shrinkage ?
9) Are you feeling nutless or neutered ?

By answering these questions honestly you could help others contemplating selling there Harley too ! Please honest answers only.

Whew!...
Okay...
1. 3 years
2. 11,000 miles
3. Nope,... and it took 3 months to sell
4. I don't have a truck,.. I carried it across town on my back
5. I always wanted a Sportster,.. (been there, done that)
6. I wear tattoo sleeves, (never felt strongly enough about anything to etch it onto my skin)
7. Ego?... I'm keeping my Savage
8. Yeah, some... but it's clearing up now that I sold the Sporty
9. Nope,.. I'm still a nut

Seriously,... the other reason, besides the weight, that I didn't like the Harley (and I think this is a bad design flaw),... is the external oil reservoir...
a. lots of hoses to and from that can leak out your oil
b. that oil reservoir is under yer' butt,.. and it gets hot!... ('specially is Arizona).
Also,... every nut or bolt on a Harley is torqued down super tight and loc-tited, to the point that metal shreds come out when you remove them... (home maintenance for gorillas only)

They do sound nice... and gobbs of torque
Nice castings, good chrome
What they need to do,... is put a modern Sporty engine into an early 80's lighter weight frame. Hopefully getting the weight down below 500lb.... 450lb even
I don't know what they could do about oil heater on my nutsack..
Huh

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 04/15/18 at 09:19:47

Dave wrote:

Quote:
 I guess there are still a few folks who want to buy and ride them out there.

Yep. Still got mine. 2004 XL883. 24,000 miles. No plans to sell it. I like it.

I'm 5'6", 170# and I turned 70 a few months ago, The only time I'm bothered by the weight is when I have to shove it around in the garage.

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #12 - 04/15/18 at 10:03:48

Still got mine too: 2007 XL883L. I am 5'3" and 160lbs, will be 70 in less than four weeks. No problems dealing with the HD weight so far.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/15/18 at 10:16:58

Truly, the weight isn't unbearable, and many bikes are a lot heavier.
It's just that I grew up on dirt bikes,.. and I have a tendency to be lazy about stopping, parking, and maneuvring ...

I'm the guy that tilts his lawn chair back 'till it flips... Huh

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #14 - 04/15/18 at 12:15:34

Age 75 (76 in a couple of months) The thumper (with mods) puts 34 ponies on the ground at 6,000 ft above sea level. Pulls 5K in 5th on the flat with 'shield and 190 lb. 6 ft rider.  Runs comfortably at 4K  (68 MPH) Roughly $4K total investment, including purchase price.    Wet weight 385 lbs.  Works just fine for me. Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 19:10:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Harleyless

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.