Vacuum Petcock (Read 155 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Vacuum Petcock
04/15/18 at 15:10:54

In my prior post regarding the TEV I noted that the manifold vacuum drops as low as 0.5"Hg under WOT conditions.  That 0.5" value was noted at WOT going up a grade.  That concerned me because I know the petcock depends on vacuum to hold it open.  I decided to test the petcock to see how much vacuum is required to keep it open.

This was a hard test to pull off because the required vacuum is so low.  As best as I could determine, that valve opens about 1.25"Hg.  That would imply that it will close under WOT conditions.  I can't believe the designer would deliver something like that....but I guess they didn't expect anyone trying for a land speed record on an S40.

I plan on getting rid of that little gem ASAP, and until I have something else to replace it with, I'm stayin away from the WOT stuff.  Also, all should keep in mind that long winded cams with lot's of overlap send manifold vacuum into the toilet.  If you have a big cam, or intend to install one, plan on ditching that petcock.

I see lot's of posts on here about the Raptor petcock and lot's of comments about bogus parts floating around.  Can any of you attest to the bonafide Yamaha part number, year, make & model of the sourced vehicle?  I appreciate your consideration.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Vacuum Petcock
Reply #1 - 04/15/18 at 16:38:11

This is the Raptor part no.  5LP-24500-01-00
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM660R

NOTE... ( all Raptor 660 petcocks fit,... I included a specific model/year for internet ordering, and anal retentive counter salespeople...) (Raptor 350 petcocks won't fit)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 04/15/18 at 20:00:00

Thanks Serowbot.  That's the info I was looking for.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 04/15/18 at 20:52:36

FWIW,
I had a brand new bike. The first week I had it I removed the stock petcock, warranty be darned. That thing is an engine failure waiting to happen. Of course I fitted a YAMAHA raptor petcock to replace it.

P.S. anybody want to buy an unused stock petcock. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/16/18 at 16:17:15

For sale
Headache
Cheap

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 04/16/18 at 17:00:25

You've got it Justin.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/16/18 at 19:05:52

I've got one, too. Low miles, hardly used. Doesn't work. Go figure.

« Last Edit: 04/17/18 at 07:32:18 by HAPPYDAN »  
  IP Logged
Blueraven
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/17/18 at 08:56:35

Is there any reason specifically to replace the petcock if the OEM one is working fine?
I'm always faired well going off the premise "that if it ain't broke don't fix it".

BTW- I do have the Raptor petcock sitting in my toolbox just in case the OEM one does fail.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/17/18 at 09:14:44

Blueraven, It's not if it fails , it's when it fails. the carb pulls the least amount of vacuum at WOT , and can fail at the worst time . as in a passing ,and the diaphragm closes and the motor dies ( and so may you).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Blueraven
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/17/18 at 13:38:24

batman wrote on 04/17/18 at 09:14:44:
Blueraven, It's not if it fails , it's when it fails. the carb pulls the least amount of vacuum at WOT , and can fail at the worst time . as in a passing ,and the diaphragm closes and the motor dies ( and so may you).

I see you're point.
I guess I'll go ahead and swap it out since I already have the Raptor.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: 04/17/18 at 15:38:39 by Blueraven »  
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 04/17/18 at 13:41:56

Batman is right. Get the petcock changed pretty soon. As he said "not if but when" Ethanol really does a job on the diaphragm over time.

IP Logged
Aaronjkjkk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/26/21 at 22:49:46

Hi I did a vaccum test and the needle jumping all over so my wife showed me book that says that could mean a head gasket problem so my question is  do u think the head gasket would be bad

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 03/27/21 at 01:57:31

The jumping needle is normal.  It's a big single cylinder engine so the vacuum pulses like crazy.  You need a snubber in the line.  A small 1/4" needle valve will do the trick.  Adjust the snubber valve until the needle steadies out.  It (the needle valve) will be almost completely closed.  I used a rig like this.

I doubt that you have a problem with your head gasket.

Snubber_Valve2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 03/27/21 at 03:41:57

Aaronjkjkk wrote on 03/26/21 at 22:49:46:
Hi I did a vaccum test and the needle jumping all over so my wife showed me book that says that could mean a head gasket problem so my question is  do u think the head gasket would be bad

Yep, I tried putting a vacuum gauge on my little Ninja.  The needle was swinging so fast it was just a blur!  The intake manifold is subject to wild pressure pulses....and it is normal.

The stock vacuum petcock works for a while - then it doesn't.  Unfortunately the failure mode is not always the same and can cause owners to look for problems that don't exist.

One mode of failure is the diaphragm gets stiff, and it begins to limit fuel flow.  As noted in DragBikeMikes original comment the engine vacuum drops as the throttle is open wider....and very often the engine will run fine until the rider gets out on the interstate and rides fast.  This failure is a real disaster waiting to happen - 75mph in traffic on a 4 lane highway and your engine quits!  Riders often claim that the bike starts back up after sitting for a while - which often has folks looking at ignition or carb problems that don't exist.

Another mode of failure is the diaphragm that gets porous.  This causes fuel to leak down the vacuum line to the carb.  This can result in the engine running rich if the leak only occurs while the engine is running - or it can leak gas continually and fill the air box and engine crankcase with fuel.

For a reliable running bike - it is important that you replace the stock vacuum petcock with a manual one.  And then you need to remember to turn the petcock on when you start your ride each day, and then turn it off at the end of each day you ride.  I am a bit more focused about the issue and at the STOP sign down the street from my house I reach down and turn the petcock OFF.....and by the time I reach my driveway the engine is running out of gas (This allows my bike to be parked with a nearly empty float bowl and reduces the chances of my jets being clogged up when the fuel evaporates or gets stale).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 08:05:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vacuum Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.