Send Topic Print
Air Box Removal (Read 86 times)
Quantm1366
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Air Box Removal
04/10/18 at 18:37:01

Has anyone removed the air box and run a cone style air filter? I was considering this mod for the potential performance boost, I already have a K&N filter in the stock box, and an after market exhaust. So yes, I have rejetted the carb, and have another step up for the pilot and main jet if need be. Just wondering if others had done it and if they thought it was worth while.

Thanks.

2009 S40
Jardine Exhaust

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Air Box Removal
Reply #1 - 04/11/18 at 03:22:05

There are a lot of folks that have used a cone filter....mostly for looks or convenience when they modified their bike and wanted to remove the air box and battery to get a more open look.

I am not sure anyone has proven you will get a performance boost by eliminating the stock air box and running just "any" cone filter.  Cone filters don't provide a laminar flow to the carb inlet, the small ones may be more restrictive than your K&N, some cone filters block the vent in the top of the carb inlet and make the engine run horrible, and they offer no protection from getting water into the carb during foul weather or when washing the bike.  The stock air box - with or without the K&N may be able to provide all the air that the stock engine needs.

However - if you want to pursue this endeavor it is recommended that you not put the cone filter directly on the carb spigot - having a tube similar to the stock boot between the cone filter and carb is recommended, as it helps provide laminar flow and smooth out the pulses.

If you are not changing the "look" of your bike - perhaps you should follow this thread on modifying the stock air box for more flow.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1523302904/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/12/18 at 07:14:04

I moved the battery to the airbox and added the ryca cone filter with the silicone elbow.  I like the way it looks, I haven't changed the jets and it runs and rides just like it did before the change.  Still has the stock exhaust. I haven't done a lot of riding since the change, probably a few hundred miles.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/12/18 at 07:20:15

Sure would be nice if somebody would do a flow test on the stock airbox, and various cone filters (including the one RYCA uses).

That would confirm if there are any flow improvements from using a cone filter. (Understanding that only time you are going to experience the increase is under full throttle/high rpm use, as partial throttle cruising doesn't use a lot of air).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 04/13/18 at 12:27:58

I believe if you remove the plastic side cover from the air box and use an Oldfeller 's filter (it's in the Tech section)you would have better flow and filtration than any cone filter and at 1/5 the price and less maintenance .( I clean and oil mine every two years)                                                          

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:16:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air Box Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.