Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Air Box Performance Tests (Read 417 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Air Box Performance Tests
04/09/18 at 12:41:43

This is my first post to this section of the forum.  I hope some of you find it useful.  I have lots of pictures so I may have to make a number of posts to get it all in.  Just don't have the skills yet.  I wanted to see if the stock airbox performance could be improved without increasing noise levels.  I did a series of tests using a rig fabricated from 2" ABS pipe, fittings and rubber couplings with a water manometer attached.

Test_Rig.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Air Box Performance Tests
Reply #1 - 04/09/18 at 13:19:35

I'm having difficulty getting the pictures attached so I will forge ahead without them for now.  I attached the test rig to the airbox outlet and used  a large ShopVac to pull air through the airbox.  I measured differential across the airbox with the manometer.

Bone stock: 9.25"

Stock configuration with K&N gauze element: 8.00"

Snorkel removed (loud): 7.75"

Plastic airbox cover & decorative tin removed (too loud): 5.25"

Plastic airbox cover removed, tin replaced (too loud): 5.50"  

Snorkel back in, 1.75" hole in plastic airbox cover, tin on (loud): 6.75"

Plastic airbox cover with 1.75" hole and baffle (sounds stock): 7.25"

Oval slot .37" x 2.0" cut in left side of airbox (sounds stock): 7.00"

Two foam blocks removed from underside of seat: 6.5"

Results: the noisy mods (K&N filter, plastic cover removed, tin cover in place) offer the optimum improvement, 3.75" less than a stock configuration, but make what I consider to be too much noise.  The quiet mods (K&N filter, hole in plastic cover, baffle, oval slot left side, foam blocks removed from seat) offer a decent improvement, 2.75" less than stock configuration, with no discernable increase in noise.

I will do my best to get pics of the mods posted.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 04/09/18 at 13:21:52

Here is a picture of the modified air box cover with 1.75" hole.

Cover_Hole.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 04/09/18 at 13:24:11

Here is a picture of the baffle installation.

Baffle.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 04/09/18 at 13:29:28

Here is a shot of the oval slot in left side of airbox.  It's pretty ugly but I managed to clean it up a bit after I took this shot.  You can't tell from the picture but the slot faces downward and the ignition module acts as a baffle.  It didn't make any earth shattering improvement but it also didn't make noise.  I installed a small mud flap type deflector between the airbox and frame to prevent road grime and water from being slung in from the rear tire.

IMG_01451.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 04/09/18 at 13:40:54

Here is a picture of the foam blocks to remove from under the seat.  The picture only shows one removed, the one on the opposite side of the seat is still in place.  If you go slow, they come off easily and remain in tact so you can reinstall later if you like.

I hope this post provides some useful data for anyone looking for a breath of fresh air.

Oooops!  The site just won't let me attach this picture.  I guess some of my photos exceed the file size limit (even though when I check the properties of the file it shows less than 2048KB).  So let's try a verbal description.  There are foam blocks attached to the underside of the seat with double backed adhesive tape.  I removed the two blocks running fore & aft that are located just in front of the hard rubber pads that carry the weight of the rider.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 04/09/18 at 14:01:32

I think I found a way to reduce the file size so let's try again with a pic of the seat bottom.

Seat_Foam_Blocks_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 04/09/18 at 14:03:37

OK.  That seemed to work.  Here is a shot of the rig installed on the airbox.  It actually fits quite nicely.

Best regards to all.

Test_Rig_Installation_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/10/18 at 06:08:40

I wonder how the flow of the shop vac relates to the flow of the Savage engine - and how the vacuum noise relates to engine intake noise?

Will the improved flow make a noticeable change on a stock....or modified engine?  It is my belief that for most operating conditions where the throttle is only partially opened the air box and filter don't provide much of a restriction - but when you are using a lot of throttle and rpm the intake restrictions can make a difference and limit power output.

That is really surprising that the foam seat blocks are restrictive to flow!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #9 - 04/10/18 at 08:11:39

Flow is pretty simple to calculate.  The equation is Displacement in CID x RPM / 3456. That is assuming 100% volumetric efficiency. For most street engines, about 80% is close. So for a Savage at 6500 rpm that would be 40x6500/3456=75 cfm. 80% of that would be about 60 cfm then.

A typical industrial vacuum like what you would find at a car wash is rated at 100 cfm. So his shop vac test is in line with the airflow of the engine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/10/18 at 08:54:40

Remember the flow in operation is pulsed. You're dealing with pressure waves. The volume of air between filter and carb need to be equal or greater than the volume of the cylinder.
There are articles about intake design theory.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 04/10/18 at 09:21:36

Peak EV for any motor only occurs at peak torque (3400 rpm for a stock LS650) .Before 3400 you have reversion in the intake ,after peak torque not all the exhaust gases leave the cylinder.

652x3400 /3456=641

641/652=98.27% EV (in a perfect world)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #12 - 04/10/18 at 09:29:32

I think he is just testing for airflow differences with different filters and airbox mods, so in that case pulsing won't matter. All he needs to see is overall flow to determine if combination A flows better than combination B. And as long as his final results flow as much as the engine can use he should be golden.

Making major changes to the airbox shape and size would open up a can of worms though, and he would have to account for the pulses then.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 04/10/18 at 12:42:25

Regarding Dave's comment: wonder how vacuum noise relates to engine intake noise.  I'm not sure I understand the question but I will try to provide an explanation.  My comments regarding noise were based on the noise level I heard with the engine running, not the vacuum cleaner.  I would install the mod and run the engine.  It was strictly my opinion based on what I heard with my ears.  I wish I had some sort of sound measuring instrument.  If it was hands down louder I defined the result as "loud", if it was obnoxious I defined it as "too loud", if it was a close call I would do several iterations with and without the mod until I felt comfortable with my final opinion of the sound level.

Regarding Dave's comment about the seat foam:  I could actually watch the column drop in the manometer as I lifted the seat off with the test in progress.  The foam blocks form a channel that guides the air in from the rear of the seat down to the snorkel.  I'm pretty sure they are for noise mitigation.  Taking those two out didn't seem to affect noise much.  The rear foam blocks are a bit larger, but I didn't mess with them because I was able to achieve a reduction equal to total seat removal by just taking out the forward foam blocks.

Regarding comments on the ShopVac cfm:  I used a 5.5 Hp vacuum rated at 140 cfm so I knew it would be a torture test.  To amp it up a bit more, I removed the vacuum cleaner's filter so it was probably capable of moving more that 140 cfm.

Regarding justin O guy 2 comment about airbox volume: I don't believe I changed the airbox volume appreciably.

Regarding comments about resonance, reversion, etc.  Fast650 has it exactly right, I was simply doing a comparison.  I deem these modifications successful.  The stock airbox restriction to flow has been significantly reduced without any noticeable increase in noise.  This modified airbox will support higher airflows required by other mods like increased displacement, better exhaust systems, better flowing carburetors, head mods, etc.  Will it fully support any and all mods?  Don't know, but it will definitely do better than the stock box.

The testing I performed provides some concrete data.  I know it's not very sophisticated but it's good solid data.  To me, it's better than making a change and going for a ride to see if it works.  Of course, the proof is always in the pudding.  It's a beautiful sunny day here on Oahu.  Perfect conditions for a little test-n-tune.  I will let you all know how it works.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 04/10/18 at 13:19:29

I didn't realize the sound test was engine noise......not the vacuum cleaner noise.

« Last Edit: 04/11/18 at 03:26:31 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 01:04:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air Box Performance Tests

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.