Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
In defense of snobbery (Read 77 times)
NHLycan

Nice forum!

New Hampshire
In defense of snobbery
04/10/18 at 14:32:14

Is there a conceit we've collectively fallen prey to: that anyone is as good as anyone else? I'd suggest that is the case.

In orign, it may be an artifact of our democracy itself. Or the rhetoric around our democracy.

All men are created equal.
Each person's vote counts as the same.
We're all treated the same before the law.
My opinion is as good as yours.
And recently, there were "some very fine people on both sides."

All of these are lies, of course. They exist along a spectrum from aspirational goals to well intentioned pablum and end at dishonorable, tribal bull puckey.

It's a kind of madness. But it's a disease of the mind we share. People may be understandably reluctant to admit that someone else is their better. There are mental dodges to this condition. Sports for example. People aren't threatened by their sports heros. They instead identify with them. As part of a tribe.

But in most other arenas, it's not comfortable to have to acknowledge that you're the loser in life.

And somehow, in this place and this time, this has translated into a skepticism about expertise itself. I think we have, in this skepticism, one partial explanation for the foisting of Trump upon us by the aggrieved.

In order to prove to themselves that talent, class, skill, experience, morality and expertise do not make a better person, and by extension, chief executive, they've saddled us with a fellow devoid of any semblance of those characteristics. The entire idea of meritocracy has been upended.

Truly, even the lowest of us is now equal to the highest.

Exactly how far does this disdain for expertise extend among the true believer?

Are large animal vets are just as good as a real doctor? If so, good luck with that valve replacement.

What about financial advice? We have our answer. Larry Kudlow's history degree is apparently better preparation than anything Harvard business school could provide.

We selected Trump for what is probably the most ethically, spiritually, emotionally and intellectually challenging job on earth. Because he was, arguably, a successful business person. Let's pretend we agree that he's a very sharp business person. So what? Politics is not business. That business experience is about as applicable as years spent in animal husbandry. But here we are.

Since he is so very smart at business, and since ethics and credentials no longer justify, would his supporters be comfortable letting him repair the brakes on their bikes? Treating their family's medical conditions? Those tasks aren't nearly as challenging as the job he now holds. Of course not. It's absurd to ask and even his most sincere supporters would blush to suggest otherwise.

So why is government service different? Why the disdain for that expertise? Just to feel better about their own failings? Is it spite? Nihilism? It's a puzzlement.

(Couple this extreme skeptical viewpoint with a dash of paranoia and we also arrive at the age old conviction that the elites are out to get us.
In it's most toxic form this degenerates into conspiracy theories; deep state, chemtrails, false flag, lizard people, seven seals, faked moon landing type ravings. The mind boggles at how these folks manage to dress themselves.)

New Hampshire. 2003 SL650. 13k miles. Raptor installed. Versy adjuster. Rotella 6 w/zinc. Idle mix plug out. Seat front up 1". Owned since July 2013. Mechanically inclined. Better cook than mechanic.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: In defense of snobbery
Reply #1 - 04/10/18 at 15:15:13

NHLycan wrote on 04/10/18 at 14:32:14:
Is there a conceit we've collectively fallen prey to: that anyone is as good as anyone else? I'd suggest that is the case.

In orign, it may be an artifact of our democracy itself. Or the rhetoric around our democracy.

All men are created equal.
Each person's vote counts as the same.
We're all treated the same before the law.
My opinion is as good as yours.
And recently, there were "some very fine people on both sides."

All of these are lies, of course. They exist along a spectrum from aspirational goals to well intentioned pablum and end at dishonorable, tribal bull puckey.

It's a kind of madness. But it's a disease of the mind we share. People may be understandably reluctant to admit that someone else is their better. There are mental dodges to this condition. Sports for example. People aren't threatened by their sports heros. They instead identify with them. As part of a tribe.

But in most other arenas, it's not comfortable to have to acknowledge that you're the loser in life.

And somehow, in this place and this time, this has translated into a skepticism about expertise itself. I think we have, in this skepticism, one partial explanation for the foisting of Trump upon us by the aggrieved.

In order to prove to themselves that talent, class, skill, experience, morality and expertise do not make a better person, and by extension, chief executive, they've saddled us with a fellow devoid of any semblance of those characteristics. The entire idea of meritocracy has been upended.

Truly, even the lowest of us is now equal to the highest.

Exactly how far does this disdain for expertise extend among the true believer?

Are large animal vets are just as good as a real doctor? If so, good luck with that valve replacement.

What about financial advice? We have our answer. Larry Kudlow's history degree is apparently better preparation than anything Harvard business school could provide.

We selected Trump for what is probably the most ethically, spiritually, emotionally and intellectually challenging job on earth. Because he was, arguably, a successful business person. Let's pretend we agree that he's a very sharp business person. So what? Politics is not business. That business experience is about as applicable as years spent in animal husbandry. But here we are.

Since he is so very smart at business, and since ethics and credentials no longer justify, would his supporters be comfortable letting him repair the brakes on their bikes? Treating their family's medical conditions? Those tasks aren't nearly as challenging as the job he now holds. Of course not. It's absurd to ask and even his most sincere supporters would blush to suggest otherwise.

So why is government service different? Why the disdain for that expertise? Just to feel better about their own failings? Is it spite? Nihilism? It's a puzzlement.

(Couple this extreme skeptical viewpoint with a dash of paranoia and we also arrive at the age old conviction that the elites are out to get us.
In it's most toxic form this degenerates into conspiracy theories; deep state, chemtrails, false flag, lizard people, seven seals, faked moon landing type ravings. The mind boggles at how these folks manage to dress themselves.)
a

Wow!  Great post!

I can't say I agree with it all (all men are created equal - they just don't all mature that way, IMHO) - but very well said!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/10/18 at 15:35:40

for me and mine its the benchmarks that we use
we are happy, that's all that matters
all the rest ....well you must judge for yourself

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 04/10/18 at 16:08:49

Ain’t no absolutes.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/10/18 at 16:45:36

raydawg wrote on 04/10/18 at 16:08:49:
Ain’t no absolutes.

Absolutely...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 04/10/18 at 17:06:28

Serowbot wrote on 04/10/18 at 16:45:36:
raydawg wrote on 04/10/18 at 16:08:49:
Ain’t no absolutes.

Absolutely...

Your compass is absolutely broken, or in the least, out of calibration.
And I know this as fact, but I know you won’t even acknowledge it, again, as I am absolutely sure, so I don’t know, why I try. SMH.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/10/18 at 18:01:23

Absolute gibberish

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 04/10/18 at 18:24:56

Quote:
So why is government service different? Why the disdain for that expertise?

Because in our country today the "expertise in government service" that you appear to be so enamored of, consists primarily of expertise in feathering ones own nest at the expense, and to the detriment of, the actual productive members of this society. That's a bit different from the expertise of say, a doctor, or an engineer.

Trump didn't get elected because the people who voted for him are cretins. He got elected because the majority of the people who voted for him, saw him, imperfect as he is, as an alternative to Clinton, who is a shining example of the "government service experts, most of whom are outright unapologetic criminals to boot,that have been putting the screws to us for quite a number of years.

In defense of your own snobbery, your post sounds articulate, intelligent and well reasoned. It is unfortunately also a load of crap.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/10/18 at 19:01:58

..one partial explanation for the foisting of Trump upon us by the aggrieved. In order to prove to themselves that talent, class, skill, experience, morality and expertise do not make a better person, and by extension, chief executive, they've saddled us with a fellow devoid of any semblance of those characteristics. The entire idea of meritocracy has been upended.

This knuckle dragging, Roseanne watching resident of flyover country proundly pronounces that you are far better at composing an idiotic, out of touch diatribe than almost any other over educated, shallow East coaster I've seen in a long time. You're that dude Matt Damon's character in Good Will Hunting schools and then steals the girl from.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 04/10/18 at 19:17:40

Serowbot wrote on 04/10/18 at 18:01:23:
Absolute gibberish

I am glad you see the comparison, or the intent, of the OP.,..
After I so cleverly exhibited the it’s false premise, by sharing my own premise, under his own rules....
Table turned, game over, next.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/10/18 at 19:30:36

oldNslow wrote on 04/10/18 at 18:24:56:
Quote:
So why is government service different? Why the disdain for that expertise?

Because in our country today the "expertise in government service" that you appear to be so enamored of, consists primarily of expertise in feathering ones own nest at the expense, and to the detriment of, the actual productive members of this society. That's a bit different from the expertise of say, a doctor, or an engineer.

Trump didn't get elected because the people who voted for him are cretins. He got elected because the majority of the people who voted for him, saw him, imperfect as he is, as an alternative to Clinton, who is a shining example of the "government service experts, most of whom are outright unapologetic criminals to boot,that have been putting the screws to us for quite a number of years.

In defense of your own snobbery, your post sounds articulate, intelligent and well reasoned. It is unfortunately also a load of crap.

That's like, your opinion man.

Cheesy

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/11/18 at 12:30:13

In defense of your own snobbery, your post sounds articulate, intelligent and well reasoned. It is unfortunately also a load of crap. [/quote]

It is worse than a load of crap, this is the kind of ideal that was coming out of 1930 Nazi Germany.  I guess next you will be wanting to clone yourself and aborting all those "lesser" people. I can agree with you in one respect. This is the TRUE face of the Progressive movement.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/11/18 at 13:48:32

MShipley wrote on 04/11/18 at 12:30:13:

It is worse than a load of crap, this is the kind of ideal that was coming out of 1930 Nazi Germany.  I guess next you will be wanting to clone yourself and aborting all those "lesser" people. I can agree with you in one respect. This is the TRUE face of the Progressive movement.
[/quote]

LMAO - 1930's Germany?  Seriously?? (I'd love to see you try and explain that)

Talk about a load of crap!

You wouldn't know a progressive policy if it hit you over the head.

Take a look around you - this presidency and administration is a sham at best.  We've got paul ryan fleeing the sinking ship among dozens of others.

But yeah, the progressives are the bad guys... Cheesy

Right.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/11/18 at 14:03:28

e've got paul ryan fleeing the sinking ship among dozens of others.

You have no idea what the motivation is.
You don't really believe that lying sack is actually a republican do you?
He's got swamp water in his blood.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #14 - 04/11/18 at 14:20:35

thumperclone wrote on 04/10/18 at 15:35:40:
for me and mine its the benchmarks that we use
we are happy, that's all that matters
all the rest ....well you must judge for yourself  

Well that,
      and the number  42

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 22:18:40

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › In defense of snobbery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.