Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Vote multiple times.  Vote for what applies best to you.

100% Linux (any distro)
Dual boot between Linux and Windows
100% Windows (any version)
Mainly Chromebook
Mainly Apple products
Mainly Amazon Fire products
Mainly Android (phone or tablet)
Vote here just to see the results -- lookie loo

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 04/08/18 at 03:41:38 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Linux use here on the list  (vote multiple times) (Read 687 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Linux use here on the list  (vote multiple times)
04/08/18 at 03:30:19

This is a "fuzzy" poll to see where we are on the list as far as operating systems goes.   I am questioning the value of what I have been doing and wish to see how much falls on totally committed deaf ears.

When you sit down to type a post, what are you using?    I understand multiple devices (I have some of all of them) but when I sit down to type a post I am generally always sitting in front of my typing desk generally always typing on Linux.

There are some who read the list on phones and type replies in at a sit down spot -- report what you use when sitting down typing your longer replies with.

(yes, I know you can do a reply on a phone -- we all know from the short, scrunched nature when you do that, too.)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Linux use here on the list  (vote multiple tim
Reply #1 - 04/08/18 at 05:39:09

I'm not quite 100% linux, but the wife's and my laptops we use in front of the TV are linux (Ubuntu and Mint). The desktop in the basement is Win 7, mainly because of some music recording software.

I manage 2 laptops for church. Win7 and dWin8.1. The only reason is for the best PowerPoint compatability with other members and guests. If I had the power to make a decree, they would be on linux. I run LibreOffice myself. The computer that runs our digital sound mixer is linux.

We use iphones and I have an Android tablet. I don't use the tablet a lot because I just prefer the laptop format.

Oldfeller, I for one enjoy your posts, as I don't follow a lot of computer hardware, but I do think that the Wintel stuff is way too big and complicated and is starting to fall behind.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 04/08/18 at 06:57:00

I have an old Dell desktop with a 32bit processor that Dual boots Linux Mint Mate 16 and Windows XP. It's my primary computer. One of these days I should probably update to a newer version of Mint. but I really don't have a compelling reason to bother.

None of the horrible things that were supposed to happen to XP once microsoft stopped supporting it have happened to mine. However that side of the machine is almost never connected to the internet when I'm using it.

I have an 8" Android tablet, but I rarely use it to write anything on except for the occasional email when I'm traveling, because I don't like trying to type on a touch screen. All my posting on this site and a few others is done on the desktop.

My wife has a fairly new laptop with Windows 10 on it that she bought when her old Win 7 laptop died. She hasn't had any issues with it so far except for a couple of annoyingly long updates when she first got it.  She didn't have any trouble adapting form 7 to !0. They are pretty similar,at least as far as the things she uses the laptop for.

Her laptop has one feature that I like a lot. It has an HDMI output, so that when I livestream flat track races on FansChoice  I can plug it into our TV and watch on a 40" screen instead of the 15" monitor on my desktop.

Oldfeller, I probably would not have bought the CD and installed Linux on my old Dell if it were not for your posts. The fact that I am still chugging along with this antique is thanks to you.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/08/18 at 07:36:43

Windows for media manipulation and conversion,... some file sorting. Photos, videos, music. Disc burning.
Linux for most everything else...

Irfanview, Photshop, Audacity, Freemake, AShampoo, Dupe Finder, MP3Trim,... can't be replaced...

Linux OpenShot is a pretty good video editor...
Audacity doesn't work as well on Linux for me.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #4 - 04/08/18 at 08:20:16

Not that I post a ton on here, but when I do it's a pretty even split between my Android phone, a Nexus 5x, and my iPad. The wife has a laptop from work and my computing needs are pretty limited these days. For a while there when she was between jobs we didn't even have a laptop, much less a desktop computer. We now have a desktop running Windows that we got off my sister-in-law (who owns a 2016 Savage), but I still mostly compute from the couch on my phone or iPad. It increases typos, but I'm just not in the habit of sitting down at a desktop these days.

Still looking...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/08/18 at 09:34:41

I read a lot of your stuff. I do it
Knowing
It's probably gonna be over my head
Or
My Ken Doll won't do what you are talking about.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 04/08/18 at 11:55:45

Actually attempted to dual boot off the cd I brought last year. I had to find out what a BIOS was, as the letter with the cd told me to alter the BOOT order in the BIOS. When I attempted to do this, a small white window obscured the BOOT order and I couldn't do it, so it looks like I'm stuffed. I may try again later but windoze seems to want to repair itself after I attempt to dual boot.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 04/08/18 at 14:24:43

They were telling you that you have to have the DVD drive boot first, which is the default setting with most normal Windows machines anyway.

So you actually got stopped by Windows, not by Linux.

Stick the DVD in the drive and turn the machine off and then turn it back on -- see what happens after about 5 minutes.

As far as your white rectangle covering up what you need to see, I have not a clue what that was all about.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 04/08/18 at 16:12:55

OF, looks like I've done it, I'm posting this off Linux now, so thanks for your help. I'll have to see how the learning curve goes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 04/08/18 at 18:40:05

The important thing is that you have started, you realize it works and that it isn't going to charge you an assload of money to mess you around into spending even more money for something else.

Is it totally totally easy?   No, not always, but like most thing here on the list you can ask for help and get it if you get stuck on something.

===================================================

Neat trick, type your question in in plain English into a search engine and you will get an answer or 10 as Linux Mint Mate is supported by a world full of fellow users.

Do you use Firefox or Chrome at all already?    You are not going to find any MS products being used in Linux and the first thing you are going to need is a browser.   You obviously found one already, so that is good.   Firefox comes stock on the distro so that is always a good place to start.   Chrome requires going on the web to Google Chrome to download it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 04/08/18 at 23:05:19

OF, I may have made one big stuff up. The Linux package came with two installation disks, on 32 bit and one 64 bit. I think I've installed the 32bit disc and Linux only seems to accept a Chrome download on 64 bit. I was using Chrome on Windows, but Windows seems to have vanished. This isn't a big deal as I've already done internet banking on LINUX and I will book mark most of my favourite sites on Linux. The only thing I have lost is a lot of pictures, but that's not life or death.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 04/09/18 at 03:15:56

Did you really install the 32 bit disk?    That is the big question now.

You can answer that question by taking out the DVD disk completely and turning the machine off and back on again with nothing in the DVD drive -- wait 3-4 minutes until it finishes loading and tell us what you get from that exercise.

ALWAYS REMEMBER, If you want to dual boot to Windows, you have to say yes to the dual boot question when it comes up in the installation menu series of question/responses.

======================================================

You can always decide to use Firefox as it is built in to the distro itself.    If you go 64 bit you can try downloading Chrome again and by trying to do so you will see if your machine is really a 64 bit machine.   If not, it will not install.

What machine do you have, anyway?   True 32 bit machines are sort of rare these days ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 04/09/18 at 06:43:27

Quote:
I've installed the 32bit disc and Linux only seems to accept a Chrome download on 64 bit.

Yep. The version of Chrome I've got on my 32 bit Dell is 47.0. I can't upgrade it from Google cause they don't have a 32 bit Linux version of the newer versions anymore as far as I can tell. I think the newest Chrome is 50..something.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 04/09/18 at 07:58:33

I use Windows 10 and am logged into Linux servers all day at work using Putty.  I wouldn't need Window except that my company develops software in C#.  That said, I don't hate Windows like I did 10 years ago when I was a staunch Linux supporter.  Looking back, I did that mostly because I hate paying the Windows tax on hardware and though it made me "smarter than you".  Then I realized having to send my laptops back to the manufacturer to get a $65 Windows tax refund wasn't even worth wasting my time over.  

We have ZERO Windows machines at home.  I mostly use my phone, but we do have 3 Mac Books and a laptop with Lubuntu on it.  On the rare occasion that I need a computer, I usually prefer the MacBooks over my Linux laptop.  I can log into Linux servers or surf the web with either, but prefer the trackpad on the MacBooks.  Otherwise, I don't care what I use.  

I actually don't really give two craps about desktop OS.  To me, they all accomplish the same tasks just fine.  I mean, 99.9% of the time all we ever do with them is web browsing, email, and composing a document every once in a while (which I do in a browser. anyway.)  I don't really understand why anyone cares much beyond the increased security risks with Windows (which can mostly be attributed to user stupidity).

If you forced me to buy a new laptop today (assuming I don't have to code C# on it) I would be torn between a Linux machine or a MacBook.  I would probably get the MacBook because I like the trackpad better and the gestures work out of the box.  

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #14 - 04/09/18 at 10:16:37

I read it once in a great while on my Android phone but I'm not signed in.

When I post, it's from Windows, either Win7 at home or Windows 10 at work.

And I'm like ohiomoto, most of my work life is spent in PuTTY windows on AIX or HP-UX or Linux. The windows part is just so I can communicate with my team mates and the rest of the company.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 01:52:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Linux use here on the list  (vote multiple times)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.